Universal credit: Should the temporary increase be kept for longer?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 49

See: 'Othering'....
Had to Google that :laugh:

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Lol.... London exposed as the money laundering & tax avoidance capital of the world but feck all those scroungers living the dream on 100 quid a week.

Show me a post where I have agreed with or supported money laundering & Tax Avoidance, or, scroungers, please... ;)

D

Deleted member 49

Show me a post where I have agreed with or supported money laundering & Tax Avoidance, or, scroungers, please... ;)
Show me a post where I said you did ? The point of my post is the irony of UC cuts.
I'll edit to add I know plenty of people on benefits...do I begrudge them smoking,drinking,socializing whilst claiming there 90/100 quid a week....nah.

BoldonLad

See: 'Othering'....

"Othering is a phenomenon in which some individuals or groups are defined and labeled as not fitting in within the norms of a social group. It is an effect that influences how people perceive and treat those who are viewed as being part of the in-group versus those who are seen as being part of the out-group.``'"

From google...

would "whataboutery" not have been a better fit?

BoldonLad

Show me a post where I said you did ? The point of my post is the irony of UC cuts.
I'll edit to add I know plenty of people on benefits...do I begrudge them smoking,drinking,socializing whilst claiming there 90/100 quid a week....nah.

Me either, how they choose to spend their money is their choice.

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
I suspect our correspondent Craig has very little idea of how the benefits/UC system works.
I said though that the amount needs looking at didn't I?

The way to do that is through a properly funded, costed and logical way. That is what should happen, this was a temporary uplift to see claimants through the initial phase of the pandemic.

Archie_tect

But it isn't a cut
If the personal non taxable allowance was raised by £100 that would reinstate the £20 UC for those in work, which would be a start, but as that would benefit everyone regardless of their income then it isn't effectively distributed and doesn't help the people who need the additional £20.

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
If the personal non taxable allowance was raised by £100 that would reinstate the £20 UC for those in work, which would be a start, but as that would benefit everyone regardless of their income then it isn't effectively distributed.
Once again, I agree the levels of benefits etc need looking at.

However the removal of a time limited temporary raise is not a cut.

Archie_tect

Once again, I agree the levels of benefits etc need looking at.

However the removal of a time limited temporary raise is not a cut.
True, but it is removing something that people have come to rely on... and taking it away will cause hardship. So, while the people who need to review the system do so it would be better to leave the payment in place. Surely?

Rusty Nails

Country Member
"Othering is a phenomenon in which some individuals or groups are defined and labeled as not fitting in within the norms of a social group. It is an effect that influences how people perceive and treat those who are viewed as being part of the in-group versus those who are seen as being part of the out-group.``'"

From google...

would "whataboutery" not have been a better fit?
I think "othering" was 100% correct fit in this case.

It is very convenient if politicians and others can point blame at an "other" group as the real problem, rather than the way they are treated.

BoldonLad

I think "othering" was 100% correct fit in this case.

It is very convenient if politicians and others can point blame at an "other" group as the real problem, rather than the way they are treated.

I was confused, now, I am doubly confused.

The original topic was Universal Credit.

Money laundering and tax avoidance were mentioned

The rules on claiming/calculating UC were mentioned (but, not explained)

No Politicians were mentioned, or, as far as I am aware, did any post on here

Where was blame pointed at an "other" group, or, indeed any "group" ?

Top Bottom