Universal credit: Should the temporary increase be kept for longer?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyRM

Elder Goth
I am on UC. Losing £80 a month (well, it's £86.17) is going to be tricky, and I live a pretty spartan lifestyle.

Since being made redundant, I've applied for 75 jobs in the last 18 months and had 3 temporary contracts each lasting for 3 months on minimum wage.

I'm currently expected to attend regular face to face meetings at a local job centre, as well as spend 35 hours a week looking for work or I will be 'sanctioned'.

I do this, but the whole system is next to impossible and utterly soul destroying.

The government's response to this issue invariably frames the debate in terms of work. The suggestion is that the 'solution' to the uplift is a reduction in the taper rate and or tweaking of work allowances.

This conveniently and deliberately ignores those claiming the benefit while work searching, sick or as carers.

https://www.theguardian.com/society...cut-will-cost-carers-for-disabled-1000-a-year

In so far as 'skivers' are concerned UC has ample tools in both its conditionality and the threat of sanctions.

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
I am not in disagreement that the level of UC should be looked at, but this particular element was only ever temporary and should come to an end. If all the temporary measures that were introduced were kept in place, we would be well screwed.

It is all very emotive, but it was only ever temporary.

D

Deleted member 49

I am not in disagreement that the level of UC should be looked at, but this particular element was only ever temporary and should come to an end. If all the temporary measures that were introduced were kept in place, we would be well screwed.

Get a grip...why are you so bothered about a 20 quid cut ? Have you no empathy at all?

mudsticks

Squire

People falling into poverty , and debt, is far more costly to society than £20 a week.

It was of course meant to be temporary.

The rationale for its creation was parity with Statutory Sick Pay; those getting UC while infected with Covid should not be worse off than those who had an employer to pay SSP.

What the gap between those highlights is that you're paid more to live on as an employee on relatively short term absence (SSP last 6 month max) than when you're long term sick on UC (or legacy benefit) year in/year out.

When SSP was introduced c1982 it was roughly the same rate as Unemployment Benefit. While it has mostly tracked RPI or CPI freezes down the years have reduced the weekly value of other benefits to £74.70/week while SSP is £96.35/week.

Retaining the uplift, albeit a 'quick and dirty' solution would deliver instant results perhaps pending a wider review of the adequacy of benefit rates.

D

Deleted member 49

I suspect our correspondent Craig has very little idea of how the benefits/UC system works.
I'd disagree...I'm sure sure he knows all to well.Which makes it even worse.

I suspect our correspondent Craig has very little idea of how the benefits/UC system works.

Let's see what he says next.

Some of us here know exactly how it works and have access to the tools needed to illustrate it.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.

When SSP was introduced c1982 it was roughly the same rate as Unemployment Benefit. While it has mostly tracked RPI or CPI freezes down the years have reduced the weekly value of other benefits to £74.70/week while SSP is £96.35/week.

Retaining the uplift, albeit a 'quick and dirty' solution would deliver instant results perhaps pending a wider review of the adequacy of benefit rates.

Indeed, my son (who has spent his entire adult life, except approximately 6 months, on benefits, now aged 47), is aways most disappointed when he "fails" a medical, and is declared fit.

Pale Rider

Veteran
Sorry, I would have to disagree with you there, I think you will find more than one bar or WMC in Sunderland, with a few experts, if you need assistance.

Yes, I did wonder about that latest post from the hip after I'd made it.

I see a lot of people on benefits in magistrates' court for thieving and routine booze fuelled violence.

Their financial circumstances are aired to a limited degree.

What I've noticed is some people seem to be on a basic £75 a fortnight, yet others in an outwardly similar position seem to do a great deal better.

Top Bottom