USA Midterms....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

glasgowcyclist

Über Member
Some people have parents of different heritages and hence can claim more than one heritage themselves.

Especially Amercans!

They have no problem claiming to be Irish, Scottish, or Italian because of a great-great-great uncle-in-law.

D

Deleted member 159

Have you seen the clips of her changing her accent depending which audience she is in front of.

Michael Jackson's meme really typifies her.

Republican's nickname her the chameleon :laugh:

glasgowcyclist

Über Member
Have you seen the clips of her changing her accent depending which audience she is in front of.

This is well-known a linguistic phenomenon which affects everyone to varying degrees. It’s called accommodation.

I do it all the time (without even realising it). My speech patterns, vocabulary and intonation change to match the person I’m speaking with. Usually it’s my wife who’ll tell me I must have been talking to someone from Edinburgh for a while because I suddenly have an east coast intonation.

D

Deleted member 159

This is well-known a linguistic phenomenon which affects everyone to varying degrees. It’s called accommodation.

No, it's called playing the audience.

Once your accent is set, you don't switch it on and off for regional variations.

Takes a long period to adopt a different accent. I know this because my sister lives in the USA,has done for 40 years. Even though she talks like an American, she still has her British accent

glasgowcyclist

Über Member

Once your accent is set, you don't switch it on and off for regional variations.

Takes a long period to adopt a different accent. I know this because my sister lives in the USA,has done for 40 years. Even though she talks like an American, she still has her British accent

You’re basing your response on a sample of one, your sister, and ignoring the phrase ‘to varying degrees’. That it doesn’t occur in your sister doesn’t mean it can’t occur for anyone else.

This phenomenon has been studied around the world for over 50 years and it happens everywhere.
Try reading some papers on sociolinguistics.

When you say she talks like an American, what do you mean? What parts of her speech are American?
For example, does she use the word sidewalk instead of pavement? Fender instead of mudguard?

Bazzer

What @glasgowcyclist said.
If you want to go on a sample of one, most of my family live in the Fens. Within hours of being down there, my accent begins to change beginning with certain words such as "Yes" which locally has the vowel sounding like an "i".
Also my professional accent is different to my everyday accent.

You do realise that earlier this year Trump told his ring kissers in Congress, to block the proposed border control legislation? This was despite bipartisan agreement having been reached between Democrats and Republican Senators.

D

Deleted member 159

Kamala's dad is even sick of her identity politics.

Turns out he's proud of his heritage, stick with it

View: https://x.com/DefiyantlyFree/status/1819082747262206258?t=nw6Bq8k5BKlemIVWXaBb5g&s=19

ebikeerwidnes

Not totally true - I have known a lot of people whose accents change depending on who they are talking to

My "boss for many years" talking like a normal person from East Lancashire but if a friend from home rang he would become almost incomprehensible
It is never extreme but a lot of people do it do some extent
I know I do it myself to some extent - sometimes I apparently sounds almost posh - at least to people round here - but if I am talking to someone with a distinct Scouse accent then I can feel an edge coming into my words that was not there before

glasgowcyclist

Über Member
Yep. I'm terrible for it. My accent and linguistics change in seconds without me realising that I'm doing it.

I have several Italian friends and go to Italy often on holiday. I very quickly, and without being aware, pick up the local accent. I sometimes worry that people I speak with might think I’m taking the mickey when it’s just a subconscious thing for me.

My pal from Veneto can always tell when I’ve recently been talking with my pal from Rome, and vice versa. Generally I have a neutral, ‘standard’ Italian accent with a bit of Scottish.

Top Bottom