USA Midterms....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

albion

Guru
The thing about Clinton, Carter and especially Obama, is that they gave good 'hope' speeches, thus bring in the money.

The hope speech certainly belongs on the left. Substitute op for at and you move right.

Well Clinton turned out to be dodgy on a personal level but yes both he and Obama managed to hit the right note in terms of giving a sense of hope and at least attempted to be unifying candidates. It's all gone to cr*p over there since Barry though imo.

Bazzer

Pending hearing by a panel, the duty judge who read Trump's emergency application has temporarily eased slightly, the verdict issued in the civil fraud trial.
https://abc13.com/donald-trump-civil-fraud-trial-bond-offer-new-york-apprellate-court/14476545/
He can for now, raise money for the bond through borrowing from entities registered in New York. So he has now around 25 days remaining to gather together in excess of $400m.
Meanwhile, after what many considered to be a bomb proof decision in the Appeal Court, the Supreme Court looks like it is coming to Trump's aid, by agreeing to hear his presidential immunity claim.

C R

Über Member
Meanwhile, after what many considered to be a bomb proof decision in the Appeal Court, the Supreme Court looks like it is coming to Trump's aid, by agreeing to hear his presidential immunity claim.

That's what he put them there for, isn't it? Gilead here we come.

albion

Guru
Obviously, Trumps judge appointees cannot really agree that he has immunity, so what Trump based angle will they be complying with?

C R

Über Member
Obviously, Trumps judge appointees cannot really agree that he has immunity, so what Trump based angle will they be complying with?

You are working under the assumption that those judges will bind themselves by reason, logic and precedent. I fear your assumption is misguidedly optimistic.

Beebo

Veteran
You are working under the assumption that those judges will bind themselves by reason, logic and precedent. I fear your assumption is misguidedly optimistic.

I agree with Albion. They are going to have to find some weasel words in support without actually supporting him.

I can’t see how the court can agree with Trump. It would set such a dangerous precedent. And surely it would give the sitting president, ie Biden the ability to do crazy things now against Trump.
But who knows in this crazy world.

C R

Über Member
I agree with Albion. They are going to have to find some weasel words in support without actually supporting him.

I can’t see how the court can agree with Trump. It would set such a dangerous precedent. And surely it would give the sitting president, ie Biden the ability to do crazy things now against Trump.

I'm not an optimist like you lot. The purpose of the far right power grab of the last couple of decades is to take and hold on to more power by whatever means necessary. They will only play by the rules if it benefits them. To expect decency from them is folly.

Bazzer

I don't think they can be trusted. Even former Judge Michael Luttig, a right wing constitutional scholar, seemed incredulous that this is even being considered by the Supreme Court.
You have SC justices who are shown to be corrupt, in the pockets of billionaire right wing donors and who fail to recuse themselves where there is a conflict of interest.
The foot dragging over the decision as to whether Trump should appear on the Colorado ballot.
The foot dragging as to whether to hear the immunity issue.
Roe v Wade seemed to be settled law until this group came along.
And despite the numerous mass killings and thousands of deaths every year with guns, what does this court do, but strike down a New York law in place for decades concerning concealed handguns.
I can see them turning round and everyone got it wrong with Nixon.
Edit. Or alternatively, there is only presidential immunity in certain circumstances, but by the time they release that decision, Judge Chutkan's hearing in the DC trial is screwed because of the run up to the election. Meanwhile, in Florida,the Trump appointed judge Aileen Cannon, is doing her own job of screwing up the hearing in the classified documents case, so that will not get heard before the election.

Last edited:
Reactions: C R

albion

Guru
I'm not an optimist like you lot. The purpose of the far right power grab of the last couple of decades is to take and hold on to more power by whatever means necessary. They will only play by the rules if it benefits them. To expect decency from them is folly.

Hard weasel then. The other path is to civil war. The weasel path is muddier.

Top Bottom