What % will keep driving cars instead of feed their families?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 28

Very self-referential and slightly poultry-phobic. Did you run out of words? I have heard that people resort to insults when that happens.
Anyway...
Here is your answer - male poultry like you will still do whatever they want until their money runs out then moan about it.
Other people will try and plan, and cur down on non essential journeys, so that their rationed fuel will be available when they need it.
Many people will stop using the car altogether due to the expense. The government could help with this by massively investing in public transport and cutting costs so that those with less money can still travel.
You've answered nothing though have you?

Let's draw a line under this as I'm bored, do you think it's acceptable to drive to the coast for pleasure or ride a motorcycle/scooter for fun?

Answer the f**ing question for once.

P*ss or get off the pot.

PS. I won't be running out of money any time soon.👍

Last edited by a moderator:
do you think it's acceptable to drive to the coast for pleasure or ride a motorcycle/scooter for fun?
I can’t answer for @icowden but I think if you had to pay something closer to the true cost of providing the infrastructure that allows it, plus a surcharge for the environmental and health damage it causes, you may stop and consider how often you choose to do it.

D

Deleted member 28

I can’t answer for @icowden but I think if you had to pay something closer to the true cost of providing the infrastructure that allows it, plus a surcharge for the environmental and health damage it causes, you may stop and consider how often you choose to do it.
FFS, can you limp wristed tossers not answer a simple question?

I don't think you have the balls to say what you think, either that or you secretly do what everyone else does but won't admit it.

Answer what I've asked!

mudsticks

Squire
Dunno. It depends if you drive unnecessarily, doesn't it?

I'm not bitter about my chronic, incurable illness. It is what it is. There is shoot that has happened during (mis)treatment which I do get a bit grumpy about and there is stuff about research into new treatments and possibly maybe one day a cure which I'm really quite enthusiastic about... but none of that has anything to do with this discussion.

I do get a bit bitter when the selfishness of others causes me additional health problems like asthma, though. Why should leisure motorists be allowed to have completely frivolous and unnecessary drives which means others are not allowed to breathe freely? There's a balance, isn't there? And it's currently very lopsided and people have died as a result of the air pollution.
Well it might be too slow progress for some of us..

But those public health / environmentalist busy bodies, are already slanting things towards controlling emissions on behalf of future (and present) generations..

Of course there will be grumblings and resistance among the "my freedom to pollute trumps all else..

But then there always was when all kinds of progressive adaptations were made for social health and environmental reasons..

Then all that becomes the 'new normal' and everyone gets used to it pretty quick..

Adaptable creatures that we (mostly) are.

Having been in 'the game' for many a year there were all kinds of 'green nonsenses' brought in, which are now seen as standard.

There will always be people who moan, even when progress is made for very sound reasons .

Some people just don't like change, or having to make any kind of sacrifice for the bigger picture..

Heigh ho .

Meanwhile a breath of fresh air from the Cornish coast..

Milzy

Over on the mothership, another thread on fuel prices where some suggested that just maybe lots of unnecessary single-occupancy car use wasn't essential to modern life has been closed down because some react to any threat to their genital compensation device with insults, assumptions and repeated punctuation marks.

But what I'd like to continue here is this point from @DCLane:

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/cost-of-fuel.283757/page-16#post-6681365

Do you think many people are going to choose fuelling their car over feeding their family, rather than ride a bike, walk or use public transport where some of the cost is paid from taxes?

Edit to add: and to be clear, I do not mean stopping the people who drive as part of work or live 40 miles away on a route not served by scheduled transport. I mean people who drive distances they could walk or ride and who still "go for a drive" as a leisure activity.
There’s plenty of money for fuel. Remember First that cars are a Luxury. People can try driving slower & smoother. Cutting down on non essential journeys. Then there’s other things to reduce. Tobacco, booze, TV subscriptions, & general luxuries. I’m sure people will choose food banks before cycling. You can’t really put the kids on the back of a push bike when on the school run.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 28

Well it might be too slow progress for some of us..

But those public health / environmentalist busy bodies, are already slanting things towards controlling emissions on behalf of future (and present) generations..

Of course there will be grumblings and resistance among the "my freedom to pollute trumps all else..

But then there always was when all kinds of progressive adaptations were made for social health and environmental reasons..

Then all that becomes the 'new normal' and everyone gets used to it pretty quick..

Adaptable creatures that we (mostly) are.

Having been in 'the game' for many a year there were all kinds of 'green nonsenses' brought in, which are now seen as standard.

There will always be people who moan, even when progress is made for very sound reasons .

Some people just don't like change, or having to make any kind of sacrifice for the bigger picture..

Heigh ho .

Meanwhile a breath of fresh air from the Cornish coast..

View attachment 851
Lovely, how did you get there?

Train/bus/cycle I hope?

icowden

Legendary Member
Let's draw a line under this as I'm bored, do you think it's acceptable to drive to the coast for pleasure or ride a motorcycle/scooter for fun?
Yes. But the chances of doing that in a petrol or diesel car / motorbike are decreasing rapidly thanks to the imminent WW3 scenario, and becoming more problematic dur to climate change. Even an electric is problematic unless the pace of rolling out renewable energy increases vastly (as in Germany).

Last edited:
FFS, can you limp wristed tossers not answer a simple question?

I don't think you have the balls to say what you think, either that or you secretly do what everyone else does but won't admit it.

Answer what I've asked!
I thought I was entirely clear in my answer but obviously I can’t guarantee your understanding.

My view is that you should be allowed but not encouraged or subsidised to do some things that damage others. There is a whole spectrum of harmful behaviours and many arguments to be had about where each action fits into the wider picture. Broadly speaking, the worse the effect the more it should be discouraged. Tax and other financial pressures can be useful ways to shape society for the common good.

As an aside, why do you persist with the personal abuse? It’s just childish, and not in a good way.

icowden

Legendary Member
You can’t really put the kids on the back of a push bike when on the school run.
Many do around here. Or the kids get on a scooter. Or their own bike.
Even at secondary, many kids walk or cycle to school.

Our local primary was a leading eco-primary school until the Diocese of Guildford decided to constructively dismiss the head and turn it into a failing primary to go with their other ones (Good Shepherd Trust - an oxymoron).

Milzy

Our local primary was a leading eco-primary school until the Diocese of Guildford decided to constructively dismiss the head and turn it into a failing primary to go with their other ones (Good Shepherd Trust - an oxymoron).
I suppose it depends on their age & size. My girl is nearly 7 & a bit big to be pulled but a bit young to self propel the distance up a long 10% hill. If I left work by push bike I’d be late for school.
There are mums/dads working from home though who will still take the SUV to a local school.

D

Deleted member 28

I thought I was entirely clear in my answer but obviously I can’t guarantee your understanding.

My view is that you should be allowed but not encouraged or subsidised to do some things that damage others. There is a whole spectrum of harmful behaviours and many arguments to be had about where each action fits into the wider picture. Broadly speaking, the worse the effect the more it should be discouraged. Tax and other financial pressures can be useful ways to shape society for the common good.

As an aside, why do you persist with the personal abuse? It’s just childish, and not in a good way.
We're getting somewhere then, how often should I be allowed to drive to the coast for example?
Should I be limited to the amount of weekends away with my family or how many rallies I can attend?
What is this encouragement you speak of?
Please excuse my ignorance but what is the subsidy you refer to ?
I'm genuinely intrigued by the comments you've eventually come forward with as I was under the impression that if I work hard and am able to afford myself and family small luxuries such as weekend breaks and motorcycle ride outs then I'm perfectly entitled to that without having to explain my choices to people like you?

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 28

Ah well, this is where allowing kids to apply for schools outside of the catchment area screws things up.

I grew up in a proper sh*thole and went to the local school, no problem, my missus comes from the 'posh ' part of town and went to their local school.

Move on 30 odd yrs and I live in said posh part of town but now kids from the rough part of town can apply for 'our' local school, what happens then is we send our kids 12 mile away to a school in Shropshire.

Cool story eh? Bro.😉

D

Deleted member 28

No. How about you do some of the work for yourself instead of pretending to be thicker than you actually are?

Indeed.
No answer then?

I assume you only ever travel by car for essential reasons and not once go anywhere for pleasure unless walking, cycling or on public transport?

Never fly or holiday abroad?

No answer then?
I’ve already given an answer and then done my best to explain it. I don’t have the patience to be your unpaid tutor.

I assume you only ever travel by car for essential reasons and not once go anywhere for pleasure unless walking, cycling or on public transport?
That’s my general approach, yes. I’m no saint but I do try to limit my negative impact on my neighbours. My car has clocked up a total of 4000 miles in the last three years.

Never fly or holiday abroad
I used to fly for work most weeks, but rarely for leisure. I haven’t flown for any reason since 2017. Foreign trips are less damaging by train or ferry so that’s what I do instead.

Top Bottom