What % will keep driving cars instead of feed their families?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
And his little lapdog comes wagging his tail behind him.
It’s easier than actually sticking his head above the parapet and contributing.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
A simple yes or no will do.
Only to questions that warrant a simple yes/no answer. Most answers to the sort of questions you have been asking are conditional upon other factors.

The people who demand yes/no answers to difficult questions are either out to demonstrate that someone must be wrong, to provoke controversy, or do not have the ability to understand the subtleties of the situation.

Do you agree? Yes or no?

Last edited:

mudsticks

Squire
Only to questions that warrant a simple yes/no answer. Most answers to the sort of questions you have been asking are conditional upon other factors.

The people who demand yes/no answers to difficult questions are either out to demonstrate that someone must be wrong, to provoke controversy, or do not have the ability to understand the subtleties of the situation.

Do you agree? Yes or no?

Generally it's a simpleton that will demand a simple answer to a complex question.

Or as you say, in order to be deliberately unhelpful.

Shades of 'brexit referendum' springs to mind.

D

Deleted member 28

No, you are thick. There's not much doubt about that so pointless you (and your lapdog) trying to convince us otherwise.
Your definition of thick please?

Pretty well paid job, mortgage free at 55, ability to retire from work by 58, not a penny of debt.

I'll take thick every day of the week and twice on Sunday. 👍

D

Deleted member 28

I
Generally it's a simpleton that will demand a simple answer to a complex question.

Or as you say, in order to be deliberately unhelpful.

Shades of 'brexit referendum' springs to mind.
I Didn't think "in your opinion should I ride my motorcycle/scooter or drive my camper for leisure purposes ? " was a difficult thing to answer.
You think that's a comlex question?

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 28

Do you agree? Yes or no?
Yes.

Although the questions I asked do not depend on any factors, someone said journeys for 'Leisure ' purposes are wrong so I asked if they thought the journeys I make purely for leisure should be allowed.

It really is a yes/no answer for them surely?

qigong chimp

Settler of gobby hash.
Allowed? Yes.
Subsidised? No.

Not so terribly hard.

qigong chimp

Settler of gobby hash.
Your definition of thick please?

Pretty well paid job, mortgage free at 55, ability to retire from work by 58, not a penny of debt.

Solomon Grundy,
...Paid mortgage off on Thursday,
Retired on Friday,
Died on Saturday,
Buried on Sunday.

D

Deleted member 28

Allowed? Yes.
Subsidised? No.

Not so terribly hard.
Well until a 'fairer ' system is created I'm afraid things won't be changing any time soon in Shep Towers.

I pay council tax, income tax and VAT on things I buy so contribute my fair share in my opinion.

How about people who pay less than me, should I condemn those for being 'subsidised '?

icowden

Legendary Member
I
I Didn't think "in your opinion should I ride my motorcycle/scooter or drive my camper for leisure purposes ? " was a difficult thing to answer.
You think that's a comlex question?
Yes, it's a complex question.

From a libertarian viewpoint you should be able to do whatever you want to do. However, we then have to consider whether we take a moral or immoral libertarian view. From a moral libertarian view, you should be able to do whatever you want provided that it does not infringe the rights of others or cause detriment to society.

From the immoral libertarian viewpoint then yes, drive your motorbike or camper for leisure whenever you like. However from the moral libertarian point of view then perhaps you should consider *not* driving your motorbike just for the sake of it, or your camper van, but only when really needed. Maybe consider that the cost to the environment and of running the things may soon be an issue.

Then we have all of the variables that are unknown. Is your motorbike modified to have an extra loud exhaust, and emit twice as many fumes as needed? Is your motorbike electric and not emitting fumes at all? Is your camper van modern and fitted with a catalytic converter, or is it an ancient 1960s VW that emits half of the fuel that you put in it and stinks up the highways?

So yes, you question is complex, because society is complex, and because the world is a complex place.

That said, it may soon become a moot point as you may not have enough diesel rations / money to pay the electric / diesel / petrol bill to be able to do anything at all with your motorbike and camper van other than enjoy them as works of art.

I drive a diesel but am switching to electric (not quickly enough for my liking but there are global supply issues). That said, I am wondering if I will end up paying for something to sit on my driveway as we all cycle to work / school. For me, it won't affect me too much.

For my in-laws for example there is a bigger impact. They live in the New Forest but travel up once a week for work and to see their grandchildren. That may become a lot more unaffordable. Luckily there is a train service that *might* make it more affordable, but only if the idiots running the country actually subsidise train fares (although the OAP railcards help).

Last edited:

PaulB

Well you'd have to, wouldn't you, not having much choice in the matter.

If that's your definition of what 'not thick' means, then you have my deepest contrafibulations.

D

Deleted member 28

Top reply, thank you.

Unfortunately 2 of my 3 motorcycles are from the '70's and my scooter is a '62 and 2 stroke, my camper is '84 but does run on Lpg. My 3rd bike is from the mid 90's so none are probably very eco friendly and although the bikes are pretty standard the scooter makes a bit of a racket on full chat.

The very fact of what they are means they will only ever be 'Leisure vehicles ' so fortunately (for me) I can't really see there being a time they become unaffordable to use but you never know?

As time goes by they become cheaper as 3 of the 4 bikes/scooter are Tax/Mot exempt and in 2 yrs time my camper will also fall into this category so I've got a bit of breathing space.

On a side note, instead of holidays/breaks in the van what would you have people do for their relaxation?

Journey by Train/coach to Cornwall with baggage, beach gear Inc boards, dog etc?

Just wondering?

I guess depending which Libertarian you are will depend whether it's a Yes or No.

D

Deleted member 28

Well you'd have to, wouldn't you, not having much choice in the matter.

If that's your definition of what 'not thick' means, then you have my deepest contrafibulations.
My definition of not being thick is having enough nouse to successfully navigate this world for 56 yrs and provide a decent standard of living for myself and family whilst planning for the future and knowing it's secured.

This coupled with a job which I enjoy, is relatively rewarding and keeps me physically and mentally fit.

Top Bottom