What % will keep driving cars instead of feed their families?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
mjr

mjr

The very person who started the thread.

See above.
Maybe you should learn to read what you quote. It did not say what you have twisted it into. It was not against motoring as transport for leisure. Only motoring as leisure in itself.

Attitudes change. I expect purely making yourself happy while harming people with breathing difficulties and enriching dictators will soon be considered as backwards and unethical as getting animals to rip each other apart for sport, or whipping other humans for fun. Are you in favour of people being allowed to do those if it pleases them?

D

Deleted member 28

Maybe you should learn to read what you quote. It did not say what you have twisted it into. It was not against motoring as transport for leisure. Only motoring as leisure in itself.

Attitudes change. I expect purely making yourself happy while harming people with breathing difficulties and enriching dictators will soon be considered as backwards and unethical as getting animals to rip each other apart for sport, or whipping other humans for fun. Are you in favour of people being allowed to do those if it pleases them?
I mean people who drive distances they could walk or ride and who still "go for a drive" as a leisure activity.
I think I've read what I've quoted perfectly correct?

I ride my motorcycle for leisure I assume?

I don't use it for work or to go shopping so therefore it's for my enjoyment I guess and this appears to be what you are against because you're unfortunate to have asthma.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
mjr

mjr

either catch the bus or get a cab to Wolverhampton Station where we endure an 11 hr journey with 3 changes to Truro (my Daughter did it some years ago)
The 2-change train journey takes 5h45. There are a few 1-change ones taking 5h20. Did she get amazingly lost or did Daddy Shep somehow force her to take a slower cheaper route?

D

Deleted member 28

The 2-change train journey takes 5h45. There are a few 1-change ones taking 5h20. Did she get amazingly lost or did Daddy Shep somehow force her to take a slower cheaper route?
She took a journey that had 3 changes that's all I know and she said it took 11 hours.

I've just checked the train times and there are indeed 5h 40 minute ones but there are plenty of 10 -12 hrs ones too which wouldn't suit you to reveal would it?

She came down mid holiday at short notice and sorted the ticket out herself so probably did go for a cheaper fare but don't try and make me out to be a liar.

It's immaterial though isn't it because no one is ever going to piss about catching buses, trains, taxis and spend 2 weeks carless to please a bloke bleating about having asthma!

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 28

He did not say all leisure motoring should be banned. There were conditions.

You are choosing to read what you want to read into the post, rather than what was written.
What conditions for driving 'for leisure ' has he said is acceptable, the quote from his opening post is there for you to see!

Rusty Nails

Country Member
I think I've read what I've quoted perfectly correct?
To paraphrase Eric Morecambe: you have read all the words correctly, but not necessarily in the right order.

D

Deleted member 28

To paraphrase Eric Morecambe: you have read all the words correctly, but not necessarily in the right order.
I can only quote exactly what people have written, read his opening post yourself.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
What conditions for driving 'for leisure ' has he said is acceptable, the quote from his opening post is there for you to see!

. I mean people who drive distances they could walk or ride and who still "go for a drive" as a leisure activity.

The first condition is over the distance, if cycling or walking is an option..it is not referring to people who are unable to cycle or walk distances.

The second condition is where the drive is the leisure activity itself rather than a means of getting to a leisure activity a distance away.

The "and" in the middle of the sentence is important.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
They are crap on fuel in all fairness, mine does 18 on gas but it only costs about 70ppl at the moment.

Never owned, or driven one, but, that certainly is pretty crap fuel consumption, for a relatively small van. But, life is not all about money, is it?, there is, for some of us, the enjoyment or fun factor.

D

Deleted member 28

Never owned, or driven one, but, that certainly is pretty crap fuel consumption, for a relatively small van. But, life is not all about money, is it?, there is, for some of us, the enjoyment or fun factor.
They're 2 tonnes of brick shaped '80's technology but as already stated because it runs on LPG its equivalent to about 40mpg, I only do about 6k per year in it so the cost is immaterial to me.

OP
OP
mjr

mjr

No, what's that got to do with me riding my motorcycle?
You want to ride your motorcycle. They want to do those sports. Why shouldn't they? Has allowing others to have whatever they want in life ever crossed your mind?

D

Deleted member 28

The first condition is over the distance, if cycling or walking is an option..it is not referring to people who are unable to cycle or walk distances.

The second condition is where the drive is the leisure activity itself rather than a means of getting to a leisure activity a distance away.

The "and" in the middle of the sentence is important.
Again, I ride and drive my vehicles purely for leisure (unless I've completely got the meaning of leisure wrong) so isn't this the type of journeys our friend wants to stop, I'm sure he's big enough to answer for himself?

Top Bottom