What % will keep driving cars instead of feed their families?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulB

My definition of not being thick is having enough nouse to successfully navigate this world for 56 yrs and provide a decent standard of living for myself and family whilst planning for the future and knowing it's secured.

This coupled with a job which I enjoy, is relatively rewarding and keeps me physically and mentally fit.
You and your lapdog I see.

D

Deleted member 28

You and your lapdog I see.
If you say so.

icowden

Legendary Member
As time goes by they become cheaper as 3 of the 4 bikes/scooter are Tax/Mot exempt and in 2 yrs time my camper will also fall into this category so I've got a bit of breathing space. On a side note, instead of holidays/breaks in the van what would you have people do for their relaxation?
Journey by Train/coach to Cornwall with baggage, beach gear Inc boards, dog etc?
I think you may well find that it becomes cheaper to get the train to Cornwall and hire boards than it does to fuel the camper.
At the moment it would cost me about £200 in petrol to get a 20mpg VW Camper from Surrey to St Ives and back again based on £1.60 per litre.
But when that petrol goes up to £3.20 per litre - we are then talking £400. And what about £6.40? There is going to be a point where paying £800 in petrol starts to look like a poor choice, and it's get an electric camper or use the train.

And if the price of electricity keeps going up, then trains start to look like a good idea...

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
I think you may well find that it becomes cheaper to get the train to Cornwall and hire boards than it does to fuel the camper.
At the moment it would cost me about £200 in petrol to get a 20mpg VW Camper from Surrey to St Ives and back again based on £1.60 per litre.
But when that petrol goes up to £3.20 per litre - we are then talking £400. And what about £6.40? There is going to be a point where paying £800 in petrol starts to look like a poor choice, and it's get an electric camper or use the train.

And if the price of electricity keeps going up, then trains start to look like a good idea...

20mpg?, you must have lead boots.

D

Deleted member 28

Good thought, Lpg is about 70ppl at the moment so still got a bit of wiggle room there.

Where do you suggest we sleep once we've got off the train?

Rusty Nails

Country Member
Yes.

Although the questions I asked do not depend on any factors, someone said journeys for 'Leisure ' purposes are wrong so I asked if they thought the journeys I make purely for leisure should be allowed.

It really is a yes/no answer for them surely?
It could be a Yes/No in an extreme situation such as someone believing any leisure journey no matter how short should be banned. Or it could be a Yes under certain conditions e.g. depending on how severe any fuel supply situation is, or it could be a Yes if there was a way of differentiating between business and leisure mileage and taxing appropriately, or it could be a Yes with no conditions.

I can see how someone who is concerned about climate control or pollution could have personal views on how harmful motoring is and would wish to limit it, and is limiting their own, but I have not seriously seen anyone genuinely saying that all leisure motoring should be banned.

I have just read other posts and see that icowden has put it much better than I have.

Last edited:

icowden

Legendary Member
They are crap on fuel in all fairness, mine does 18 on gas but it only costs about 70ppl at the moment.
Yup - as an LPG vehicle, your camper is likely to have a lot more mileage than if it were petrol or diesel.
Where do you suggest we sleep once we've got off the train?
Hotel, B&B, luxury yurt on a glampsite or the tent in your backpack...

Reactions: mjr

Milkfloat

This kind of initiative needs to be rolled out nationwide to get more people onto public transport and reduce the number of cars clogging up the roads and the atmosphere:

View: https://twitter.com/AndyBurnhamGM/status/1503266809486749698?s=20&t=HbU_SHIYtIof6MXCBUDCgw

Whilst this is great as usual it the big cities benefiting, I want the whole country to have this cap. My daughter pays £6.10 a day for her return bus ticket to get to school. It is cheaper to buy monthly/weekly tickets than the termly season ticket, the whole system needs reform.

D

Deleted member 28

Yup - as an LPG vehicle, your camper is likely to have a lot more mileage than if it were petrol or diesel.

Hotel, B&B, luxury yurt on a glampsite or the tent in your backpack...
Doesn't that go against the very essence of having a 'camper ' van?

Dunno what the comment about more mileage means but I'm pointing out it won't cost anywhere near as much as you calculate because LPG is less than half the price of petrol.

The cost is immaterial to me at the moment, although I realise that this is what the thread was initially about, but do you seriously think anyone is going to do what you're suggesting for their Summer holidays when they have a camper parked on the drive?

Me, my Missus ,Daughter and dog all pack our gear up and either catch the bus or get a cab to Wolverhampton Station where we endure an 11 hr journey with 3 changes to Truro (my Daughter did it some years ago) we then get a bus to where we actually want to stop and spend the rest of the holiday relying on buses or taxis to get around the county in order to save a few carbons?

You genuinely do expect people to take this suggestion seriously, and further more do you do anything remotely similar for your Summer break?

Please tell me this is a wind up or an exercise in unfeasible possibilities.

Top Bottom