What % will keep driving cars instead of feed their families?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 49

Personally, I am am very pleased with Public Transport, but... I understand that my circumstances are not everyone's circumstances:

1. I am retired, so, "free" bus pass, and, in the area I live, I can ride the Tyne-Wear Metro (unlimited off peak) for £12/year.

2. My house is well located for Metro and busses (admittedly, by accident, not design, I moved here 35 years ago, when Public Transport was not high on my agenda). Metro station, with a Metro every ten minutes is 0.8 miles away, say 15-20 minutes walk, I could get a bus to the metro station, if I was feeling particularly idle. Bus stop is 200 metres away, with bus every 20 minutes.

The above means my car virtually goes unused, roughly 2,000 miles per year, I only keep it because it is bought and paid for, so, the marginal cost of ownership is very low, and, it is useful for our weekly shopping trip, or for visiting daughter No 3, who does not live on a public transport route accessible to us. For just about everything else, we walk, cycle, or, use bus/metro.
Ah well your ok....why change it then 🙄

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Ah well your ok....why change it then 🙄

I didn't say I wanted to change it?, but, I repeat, I recognise, not everyone is getting a service like ours, some to course, are no doubt getting even better, and, some, no doubt are getting worse.

It so happens, in my local area, the buses are run by private companies, but, I assume they are subsidised. The Metro is now run (badly) by an outfit called Nexus, which is some form of "not for profit" organisation, as far as I know. The Metro's biggest problem (IMHO) is lack of investment. As I said, the buses are subsidised, I assume, as is the Metro. Clearly, my "free" Concessionary pass is subsidised, as is the £12/year use of the metro. As a tax payer, I suppose, I am subsiding myself?

D

Deleted member 28

Dodge dodge avoid...

And distract with a big personal attack that's factually incorrect in several ways. Seldom is such frantic defensive batting away seen from an Englishman in the modern era.
How much clearer can I be?

I'll do what I want with regards to driving/riding because I can and I couldn't give a toss about you and your asthma.

You still dodging my questions about guilt tripping people and do you bleat on like this in real life?

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
If anybody really wants an example of the overprivileged not giving a toss about air quality, bear in mind that here in Sheffield, as well as the traffic and the big waste incinerator, our air quality is affected by the burning of grouse moors on the edge of the peak district. So our residents' health is deteriorating just so that a bunch of toffs can get their jollies blasting some birds out of the sky.

Just to link to the hunting example given upthread, you see...

mudsticks

Squire
If anybody really wants an example of the overprivileged not giving a toss about air quality, bear in mind that here in Sheffield, as well as the traffic and the big waste incinerator, our air quality is affected by the burning of grouse moors on the edge of the peak district. So our residents' health is deteriorating just so that a bunch of toffs can get their jollies blasting some birds out of the sky.

Just to link to the hunting example given upthread, you see...
Which really sucks..
A very tangential consequence of Putin's aggression is that there may be fewer mega rich clients for said shooting jollies.

Very few of the classic Tweedy inglish toffs do it any more.

Anymore.
It was mainly new money from elsewhere..

Also the new Environmental Land Management Schemes being thrashed out currently should be discouraging burning , in favour of more benign and even carbon sequestering land use in the uplands..
Remains to be seen, but there's some hope there .

Last edited:

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
Which really sucks..
A very tangential consequence of Putin's aggression is that there may be fewer mega rich clients for said shooting jollies.

Very few of the classic Tweedy inglish toffs do it any more.

Anymore.
It was mainly new money from elsewhere..

Also the new Environmental Land Management Schemes being thrashed out currently should be discouraging burning , in favour of more benign and even carbon sequestering land use in the uplands..
Remains to be seen, but there's some hope there .
AUIU there's some sort of exemption due to this part of the country being shallow peat rather than bog so maybe that could change although I wouldn't count on it. It's certainly a bugger when you're out of breath cycling up a Peak District hill and suddenly come across clouds of smoke drifting across the road.

fozy tornip

fozympotent
Well that looks like a job for the wannabe lezzer.

Shep is 55 years old.
A grown man.

mudsticks

Squire
AUIU there's some sort of exemption due to this part of the country being shallow peat rather than bog so maybe that could change although I wouldn't count on it. It's certainly a bugger when you're out of breath cycling up a Peak District hill and suddenly come across clouds of smoke drifting across the road.

Well hopefully there will be less of an exemption for burning before long
And more dosh for tree planting / natural regeneration..

At least you're not infested with deer round your way , so there won't need to be so much need for fencing them out .

OP
OP
mjr

mjr

How much clearer can I be?

I'll do what I want with regards to driving/riding because I can and I couldn't give a toss about you and your asthma.
Again, a dodge. I did not ask if you cared about me. That was already obvious.

You still dodging my questions about guilt tripping people and do you bleat on like this in real life?
I'm not dodging them. I am explicitly refusing to answer any more of your questions until you stop dodging my earlier question to you.

icowden

Legendary Member
I didn't say I wanted to change it?, but, I repeat, I recognise, not everyone is getting a service like ours, some to course, are no doubt getting even better, and, some, no doubt are getting worse.
Indeed. I think if you live in a "big" city, then you have relatively good public transport available. So London, Manchester, Newcastle etc.

As soon as you get a *little* bit further out it starts getting very patchy very quickly. I'm hardly out in the sticks but the bus service here is worse than useless. We are on the SWR rail map and getting into London is very easy provided that:
  • You can get to the station. This is normally done by car around here.
  • SWR are *actually* running trains - by no means a given particularly at weekends.
  • You want to pay. For a family of four, if you are going into town on a weekend by car it costs £12.50 (ULEZ) plus petrol / diesel and parking charge unless you can find somewhere free (on Sundays this is fairly easy), so maybe £20. It will cost £40 to use the train. More if you need to get the tube from Waterloo. Admittedly the train is quicker. if it is running
My "if it is running" caveat is very real. We have been into London 4 times over the last 6 months to see shows or do other things. Every single time there has been a problem with the trains. One two of the four occasions trains were massively disrupted coming back (to the point where we were considering an Uber to get back). One the other two, engineering works meant no trains going in to London either.

Top Bottom