What % will keep driving cars instead of feed their families?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 28

How boring is this?

I'm always going to do what I want with regards to bikes/scooters etc and unless fuel gets to a point I can't afford to fill up (which I doubt) then my attitude will never change.
You lot can whitter on about asthma and pollution until you're blue in the lips but it'll make no difference to most people.

I've enjoyed the banter to be honest but all it's done is confirm what a bunch of dreamers you are (all 3 of you) if you think people will stop using their vehicles as they wish.

Matches my experience. Typically, 48-50mpg from my Euro6 diesel Renault Capture (not driven very much, it has only done 13,000 miles in 6 yers), 30mpg from our Euro6 diesel Ducato low profile Motorhome. The Motorhome is very sensitive to speed, rather than weight, I find (this is hardly a surprise. since it has the aerodynamics of a brick). Even towing our motor scooter (Yamaho xMax 250) on a trailer reduces mpg only very slightly, but, 5mph on the cruise control (above 55mph) drops mpg much more. Our 2 litre BMW diesel was equally frugal, we could go from Newcastle-upon-Tyne, via Dover/Calais to Rouen on one tank full. BMW is now long gone, it was my second from least favourite car of those I have owned.

We are (well) retired, so, I suppose every journey is for Leisure purposes.
Our previous 3.8T frankia overcab only ever once hit above 24mg and that was cruise control at 56! Yep, aerodynamics matter as any cyclist kno....
Whilst it was 5* accommodation, I much prefer the nimbler camper which gets us to more special places....

Last edited:
OP
OP
mjr

mjr

How boring is this?

I'm always going to do what I want with regards to bikes/scooters etc and unless fuel gets to a point I can't afford to fill up (which I doubt) then my attitude will never change.
You lot can whitter on about asthma and pollution until you're blue in the lips but it'll make no difference to most people.

I've enjoyed the banter to be honest but all it's done is confirm what a bunch of dreamers you are (all 3 of you) if you think people will stop using their vehicles as they wish.
It is very boring that you continue to refuse to answer the question of why you will keep hurting people in that way, especially given your hypocritical demands that others answer your questions.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Our previous 3.8T frankia overcab only ever once hit above 24mg and that was cruise control at 56! Yep, aerodynamics matter as any cyclist kno....
Whilst it was 5* accommodation, I much prefer the nimbler camper which gets us to more special places....

Our Motorhome suited our needs, until Brexit and Covid came along. We used to spend 5-6 months each year in mainland Europe, and, did very little travelling in UK (apart from the Newcastle - Dover / Ashford drag). Typically we used to go to southern Europe to miss the winter, then, drift North as it warmed up, and, spent most of our time Cycling, eating and drinking. It was hell. Then, Brexit meant 90 days in any 180, then, Covid stopped travel (we were actually in southern Spain when Covid kicked off). So, now, undecided, given what is going on, not totally sure we will ever get to roam Europe again.

But, enough of that, drifting off topic.......

Last edited:

mudsticks

Squire
Yes, we do need to fix it, but it's also worth a quick note that the costs of scheduled transport do not add up as quickly as occasional users often believe. Group discounts are still widespread, starting from 2 people, so you rarely just double or treble the individual fare, and then there are discount cards which are often worthwhile even for one longer journey, plus discounts on discount cards if you buy through some loyalty or perks schemes.

Of course, private operators have conflicting interests for and against publicising those discounts, and there are some gaps, such as no GroupSave on Crosscountry in the southwest (but it is available on all SWR and all but four GWR). I hope that those will be solved by Great British Rail and the Bus Service Improvement Plans as part of fixing it.
Yup on any longish journey eg to Scotland from Devon a Railcard pays for itself in one trip :okay:

D

Deleted member 28

It is very boring that you continue to refuse to answer the question of why you will keep hurting people in that way, especially given your hypocritical demands that others answer your questions.
I'll answer no problem, I don't think I should have to stop doing what I enjoy just because people like you have an illness.

D

Deleted member 28

Do you use your condition to guilt trip others into not driving or just the privileged few?

Work colleagues for example, any ride motorcycles or own campers?

Any family members bringing your demise closer due to their frivolous car use?

Just wondering like.

OP
OP
mjr

mjr

I'll answer no problem, I don't think I should have to stop doing what I enjoy just because people like you have an illness.
Yes, we got that, but why? That's the question you keep dodging, even when saying you'll answer!

qigong chimp

Settler of gobby hash.
How boring is this?
Pretty boring.
Global heating will make a difference to everybody.

Anyway, enough of these pleasantries and sparkling bantz. Pipe down now, and let us enjoy the thought of you tearing down to the west country in your camper van, wearing calf-skin driving gloves, with this blaring out of the cassette player;

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6R6rbPDlvY

D

Deleted member 28

Pretty boring.

Global heating will make a difference to everybody.

Anyway, enough of these pleasantries and sparkling bantz. Pipe down now, and let us enjoy the thought of you tearing down to the west country in your camper van, wearing calf-skin driving gloves, with this blaring out of the cassette player;

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6R6rbPDlvY

You're about as funny as prostate cancer but thanks for the effort. 🤙

D

Deleted member 28

Yes, we got that, but why? That's the question you keep dodging, even when saying you'll answer!
Cos I think you try milking it and I don't really give a toss.
Happy?

D

Deleted member 28

Answer my question regarding guilt tripping then, I couldn't give a toss if you think me choosing to do what I enjoy is seen as rendering you incapable of functioning due to a disease you have.

What more do you want from me?

Have you confronted the other members on here regarding their driving habits or is it just me you want answers from?

D

Deleted member 49

Andy Burnham has announced that Greater Manchester's nationalised bus service will cap fares at £2....less than half what they were.Seems like a good move.
So if nationalising Manchester's buses can cut fares in half it makes you wonder what nationalising gas and electric would do 🙄

Top Bottom