Women's football success

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyRM

Elder Goth
Hockey has rules against timewasting and generally acting like a dick. They need to in a sport where the players have big sticks.

In terms of player skill between the men's and women's games, you need to consider investment in the sport, other commitments of the players, financial security, time spent training etc.

If a player is scouted as a teenager and supported such that they have no other worries or commitments except to spend all their time training and developing their skills then they are going to be better than if they need to study, support themselves, get a second (or even first) job etc. A result of this win hopefully will be that the women's game in this country will now attract the necessary investment to allow the players to flourish.

When I played, and coached hockey, I dramatically exploited the rules. And not even subtly. It was great.

When I was playing, as a defender, I broke some guys hand, who was the captain of a rival school, St Aloysious. He tried to break my ankle, so I broke his hand. Then, in the next game we played, he was wearing a cricket glove and claimed I couldn't do the same again. He was wrong.

I'm not proud of either incident. Although I am glad I smashed his fingers to bits.

theclaud

Reading around the chip
More evidence of what a colossal bellend Madeley is is hardly necessary, but this might break your cringe-o-meter...

View: https://twitter.com/Daniel_Sugarman/status/1554381817481936896?t=r6UENU46ttYYCWeVzveqiA&s=19

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
Was that his only tweet on the win??

(Re: Lineker and his bra comment)

Sorry, only just seen this. No, and I'm sure that he is genuinely pleased for them, but the fact that this popped into his head and he thought it worth sharing with the world just shows what a thoughtless plonker he is, imo. Inevitably it led to smutty comments in the replies, worthy of Finbar Saunders but less funny.

Similarly, I'm sure Madeley thought he was being sweet and paternal, but couldn't have been more patronising. Surprised he didn't say 'Good girl' (which is a thing only your actual dad and your coach can get away with without sounding stupid).

matticus

Guru
(Re: Lineker and his bra comment)

Sorry, only just seen this. No, and I'm sure that he is genuinely pleased for them, but the fact that this popped into his head and he thought it worth sharing with the world just shows what a thoughtless plonker he is, imo. Inevitably it led to smutty comments in the replies, worthy of Finbar Saunders but less funny.

You can't blame him for the smutty replies - I imagine most places that a picture of Chloe's celebration is posted there will be daft, even unpleasant comments (unless it's somewhere moderated!). I agree with what he's said since: http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...ludicrous-furore/&hl=en&gl=uk&strip=1&vwsrc=0 [telegraph registrants can read the proper version!]
"
“It was ludicrous. But it was just a few people who, I think, weren’t watching the football match. So they’ve automatically thought I was making a sexist comment because women wear bras.”

Insisting he “only deleted it” because those not watching the game “who were taking umbrage” had not appreciated the context, he added: “So, therefore, I thought, ‘There’ll be other people like that, so I’ll take it down’. Because it doesn’t hurt to take anything down.”

He also said he had run the tweet past two friends who were both feminists before posting it and that they responded by stating: “Good joke. Absolutely fine.”

Lineker is renowned for making puns both while fronting the BBC’s football coverage and on Twitter and has no intention of being cowed into self-censorship.

“I’m not easily bullied,” he said. “I think about my tweets all the time. That’s why I thought about that one. Because I thought it was quite funny. It was just a play on words, like I do all the time, in most of my tweets when I’m watching football matches.

“Because, actually, if you’re tweeting about football, if you just go, ‘So and so scored’, it’s quite dull. So I try to think of something amusing. Sometimes, it works. Sometimes, not. Some people might like it. Some people won’t get it at all. Some people think that’s boring.

“But I just try to be different, which is what I do on TV. I try to do similar kinds of things and I’ve always done it. And I just think a few people just took it the wrong way. And I understand that.”

He added: “If I’ve got 8.5 million followers, every tweet I do, someone will have a pop.”
"

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
It was a magnificent moment for women's sport and he made it about their underwear. It's as simple as that really. Of course Lineker isn't responsible for the muppets posting smutty replies, but he opened the door for them. The fact that he felt the need to run his joke past two 'feminists' (if he actually did) suggests he knew it probably wasn't the best idea in the first place.

matticus

Guru
It was a magnificent moment for women's sport and he made it about their underwear.

The player who was booked for taking her shirt off did that.
(She got a booking which might have affected the final result - I think she should be grateful no-one criticised her for that. So it was always going to be a notable event that would get coverage.)

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
It was a magnificent moment for women's sport and he made it about their underwear. It's as simple as that really. Of course Lineker isn't responsible for the muppets posting smutty replies, but he opened the door for them. The fact that he felt the need to run his joke past two 'feminists' (if he actually did) suggests he knew it probably wasn't the best idea in the first place.

You are aware that she took her shirt off herself? I'm not saying it's right or wrong but she opened the door. By taking her shirt off she broke the rules and got a yellow card so it is noteworthy. I think you could make a similar chest based pun for a male player who committed the same offence.

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
If a booking is the standard penalty then it's right she received a booking. I guess I'd say the difference is that blokes bodies and underwear haven't been so routinely objectified and sexualised for years, and when they take their shirt off people don't feel the need to post smutty responses. She was wearing a sports bra/crop top that you can see in any gym any day of the week; there was no need for him to even mention it.

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
If a booking is the standard penalty then it's right she received a booking. I guess I'd say the difference is that blokes bodies and underwear haven't been so routinely objectified and sexualised for years, and when they take their shirt off people don't feel the need to post smutty responses. She was wearing a sports bra/crop top that you can see in any gym any day of the week; there was no need for him to even mention it.

I do see where you're coming from and I agree that it was a bit of a daft thing to tweet and that he should have thought about the implications, but I don't think he intended to sexualise it, it was just an excuse for a weak pun. If it had been a man he could have written 'simply the chest' or something and it would have the same meaning.

When I played, and coached hockey, I dramatically exploited the rules. And not even subtly. It was great.

When I was playing, as a defender, I broke some guys hand, who was the captain of a rival school, St Aloysious. He tried to break my ankle, so I broke his hand. Then, in the next game we played, he was wearing a cricket glove and claimed I couldn't do the same again. He was wrong.

I'm not proud of either incident. Although I am glad I smashed his fingers to bits.

I found myself on the opposing hockey team of a lad much bigger than I who used to bully me once in a while, after the game he no longer said a bad word against me. A continuously well aimed hockey ball is quite the frightener it seems....

Top Bottom