Women's football success

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
Hockey has rules against timewasting and generally acting like a dick. They need to in a sport where the players have big sticks.

In terms of player skill between the men's and women's games, you need to consider investment in the sport, other commitments of the players, financial security, time spent training etc.

If a player is scouted as a teenager and supported such that they have no other worries or commitments except to spend all their time training and developing their skills then they are going to be better than if they need to study, support themselves, get a second (or even first) job etc. A result of this win hopefully will be that the women's game in this country will now attract the necessary investment to allow the players to flourish.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Who care's, Sue Me
I'm no footie expert, and probs there are no Ronaldo's, but from what I have seen I think the quality of passing in particular has been excellent, very accurate. Also the positional play - moving the ball deftly and accurately. There's no lack of skill in the goals or the set pieces which seem to me to be on a par with the men's.
Maybe lacking in brute strength makes the focus more on accuracy and other aspects of the game.
This may if course be errant nonsense, but it's my impression!
Womens Euro Final - 74% passing accuracey
- 950 passes attempted
- 110 match attacks

Mens Community Shield - 84% passing accuracey
- 900 passes attempted
- 150 match attacks

also thats both teams together, not one team against the other......as for brute strength, give me a break.

so there some of the stats i can get of the total of the game......the rest of the stats are just fouls, cards, bookings, throw ins, corners etc etc

jowwy

1. Hockey has rules against timewasting and generally acting like a dick. They need to in a sport where the players have big sticks.

2. In terms of player skill between the men's and women's games, you need to consider investment in the sport, other commitments of the players, financial security, time spent training etc.

3. If a player is scouted as a teenager and supported such that they have no other worries or commitments except to spend all their time training and developing their skills then they are going to be better than if they need to study, support themselves, get a second (or even first) job etc. A result of this win hopefully will be that the women's game in this country will now attract the necessary investment to allow the players to flourish.
1. So does football
2. The womens game is now professional and has been for many years, look at the WSL ( womens super league ) it just doesnt get as much media coverage as the mens game. It need space to grow and these stupid comparisons do nothing for the game
3. If a male footballer is scouted as a teenager, he would still need to attend school, study, support themsleves and get huge help from their parents. its not always handed to them on a plate, especially down in the lower leagues....but investment is higher in the mens game. But lets hope that changes.

4. lets hope the womens game grows and MEN who know fark all about football, stop comparing the mens to the womens game, its pathetic, nonsense and pointless.......and does nothing for either side of the divide.

Well done to the womens england football team on winning the EUROS 2022.......

matticus

Guru
I'm no footie expert, and probs there are no Ronaldo's, but from what I have seen I think the quality of passing in particular has been excellent, very accurate. Also the positional play - moving the ball deftly and accurately. There's no lack of skill in the goals or the set pieces which seem to me to be on a par with the men's.
Maybe lacking in brute strength makes the focus more on accuracy and other aspects of the game.
This may if course be errant nonsense, but it's my impression!

I think what you're saying is:
There's no way I could play like that.

Bit much to extrapolate to "more skilled than the men" !!!

stowie

1. So does football

Isn't the football rules around time-wasting to do with when the ball is out of play? Strategic holding of the ball whilst in play isn't covered as far as I understand. This "time-wasting" in play is a known tactic and can be quite dangerous if the other team have an effective way to combat - in the final, Germany seemed to struggle to break this down. I have seen this "time-wasting" go horribly wrong as players get out of position and allow the opposing team to break if they get the ball loose.

Anyway, I am immensely pleased for the Women's team, not only the final, but also the preceding results

I was reading an article that mentioned the FA banned women's football from the 20's to the 70's. Which is truly astonishing. It seemed to be a popular sport before this ban, which is one reason the FA banned it. So many good things in football are in spite of the football organisations rather than because of it.

jowwy

Isn't the football rules around time-wasting to do with when the ball is out of play? Strategic holding of the ball whilst in play isn't covered as far as I understand. This "time-wasting" in play is a known tactic and can be quite dangerous if the other team have an effective way to combat - in the final, Germany seemed to struggle to break this down. I have seen this "time-wasting" go horribly wrong as players get out of position and allow the opposing team to break if they get the ball loose.

Anyway, I am immensely pleased for the Women's team, not only the final, but also the preceding results

I was reading an article that mentioned the FA banned women's football from the 20's to the 70's. Which is truly astonishing. It seemed to be a popular sport before this ban, which is one reason the FA banned it. So many good things in football are in spite of the football organisations rather than because of it.

Rules changed for goalkeepers during play…..supposed to be only 7 seconds, but seen way way longer

I think what you're saying is:
There's no way I could play like that.

Bit much to extrapolate to "more skilled than the men" !!!

I couldn't kick a football to save my life, not even at school, so obvs. more skilled than I. I don't know, but I just see a difference that to me looks like more finesse, more precision maybe in the way women play compared to men.

jowwy

Look how well behaved these female footballers are

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJZJNdsR4VY

rather than jump on the bandwagon of one game……

stowie

Rules changed for goalkeepers during play…..supposed to be only 7 seconds, but seen way way longer

I think that is whilst the goalkeeper is holding the ball - not sure if this counts as out of play, but the other side cannot win the ball in this circumstance. If the goalkeeper drops the ball and dribbles it, I don't think this rule applies - and the keeper cannot pick it up again until the ball is touched by an opposition player (as per passback rule). Of course the opposition have an opportunity to win the ball in these circumstances - and goals have been scored from exactly this misjudgement from the goalkeeper. The 7 second rule has been generally loosely implemented by referees and seems more of a guidance to stop obvious time-wasting.

Playing into the corners may be a bit of a tedious tactic to run down the clock, but I don't think it is any less valid that other options such as passing through the back four, back to the keeper, back out etc. that is also seen. I am a Charlton Athletic fan, so have seen attempts are running down the clock go horribly wrong first hand :laugh:

jowwy

I think that is whilst the goalkeeper is holding the ball - not sure if this counts as out of play, but the other side cannot win the ball in this circumstance. If the goalkeeper drops the ball and dribbles it, I don't think this rule applies - and the keeper cannot pick it up again until the ball is touched by an opposition player (as per passback rule). Of course the opposition have an opportunity to win the ball in these circumstances - and goals have been scored from exactly this misjudgement from the goalkeeper. The 7 second rule has been generally loosely implemented by referees and seems more of a guidance to stop obvious time-wasting.

Playing into the corners may be a bit of a tedious tactic to run down the clock, but I don't think it is any less valid that other options such as passing through the back four, back to the keeper, back out etc. that is also seen. I am a Charlton Athletic fan, so have seen attempts are running down the clock go horribly wrong first hand :laugh:

As an ex goal keeper i know the rule very well and got booked many times for taking longer than 7 seconds, even after dropping the ball to the ground…..its all about interpretation of said rules.

time wasting at goal kicks, throw ins, corners etc etc etc……it may be slightly different in hockey, but i have seen the rule be used many times in club football. More by giving the opposing team a free kick for a dubious foul, to get the game restarted.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
It need space to grow and these stupid comparisons do nothing for the game

stop comparing the mens to the womens game,
I find myself in the unknown territory of agreeing with you on these points.

The difference in physical strength and speed means that, in any of our lifetimes, women's football will never be at the same absolute performance level as men's football, and comparisons are pointless between the two, as in tennis, athletics, boxing, cycling etc. They should be treated as separate sports, not just the female versions, and enjoyed for what they are. I can equally enjoy watching men or women compete in all those sports, especially athletics and cycling.

What is true is that women's football will get better from now on, and there will almost cetainly be more football in school for young girls and probably more competitive opportunities for girls and women, and that should be good enough for people.

There is, understandably, a lot of hype surrounding this because it is a big moment for women's football in the UK, but there is still a long way to go to get the infrastructure and foundations right.

As for time wasting it is an unavoidable factor in many sports, without even more rules and referee involvement, and I have never seen the fans of a team leading by one goal with five minutes to go being upset at their team sticking, within the laws of the game, to the corner flag.

Ian H

Guru
You don't get time-wasting in cycling.
trackstand.jpg

Top Bottom