Work and parenthood

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

spen666

Ironic really that the same people who complain about MPs having 2nd jobs are up in arms when MPs are stopped from conducting their 2nd job in the debating chamber
🤡

D

Deleted member 28

Ironic really that the same people who complain about MPs having 2nd jobs are up in arms when MPs are stopped from conducting their 2nd job in the debating chamber
🤡
1st job surely?

C'mon mate, this is a Woman and a Labour one at that, you're onto a loser here!

mudsticks

Squire
🤡

Holding, or indeed breastfeeding an infant doesnt prevent ones ears from listening, brain from processing information, nor mouth from speaking.

ms Creasy is present and paying attention.

More than could be said for some MPs .

By excluding her infant, who we presume is still breastfeeding, we exclude her.

Of course I'm well aware that that's what many of the 'old school' would prefer.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
What are the working hours of an MP?

No idea. But, when they are “at work”, then, I would like them to be doing their job. Same goes for everyone else. Eg, if I am in a shop, say, at the checkout, I don’t want to wait, whilst the checkout operator changes child’s nappy, feeds child, or, whatever.

mudsticks

Squire
No idea. But, when they are “at work”, then, I would like them to be doing their job. Same goes for everyone else. Eg, if I am in a shop, say, at the checkout, I don’t want to wait, whilst the checkout operator changes child’s nappy, feeds child, or, whatever.

It's perfectly possible to listen, think, and speak whilst holding an infant, or breastfeeding it.

I know, that for a fact, I did it for six years all told.

MPs are not required to operate machinery, such as a till, whilst in the chamber .

All MPs require a toilet break from time to time I imagine.

By excluding an infant who is breastfeeding, you exclude the mother.

By doing that, in this case, you exclude an elected MP.

And MP who has very direct experience of being a parent, right now, who will have good insight into that experience, as it is lived right now.

That in itself , alongside the rest of ms Creasy's knowledge and experience would be a loss to the chamber, and her constituents.

Is that exclusion acceptable to that MPs constituents do you think.??

BoldonLad

It's perfectly possible to listen, think, and speak whilst holding an infant, or breastfeeding it.

I know, that for a fact, I did it for six years all told.

MPs are not required to operate machinery, such as a till, whilst in the chamber .

All MPs require a toilet break from time to time I imagine.

By excluding an infant who is breastfeeding, you exclude the mother.

By doing that, in this case, you exclude an elected MP.

And MP who has very direct experience of being a parent, right now, who will have good insight into that experience, as it is lived right now.

That in itself , alongside the rest of ms Creasy's knowledge and experience would be a loss to the chamber, and her constituents.

Is that exclusion acceptable to that MPs constituents do you think.??

Who mentioned breast feeding? Not me.

Depending on age of child, their needs and behaviour do extend beyond holding and feeding.

Depending on age of child, their needs and behaviour do extend beyond holding and feeding.

You actually said

How does 'feeds child' not encompass breast feeding?

mudsticks

Squire

No sh*t tell - me all about parenting why don't you...

Whilst the infant is breastfeeding though, only one person can do that , the owner of the breasts.

Once the kid is older, and can go longer between feeds, then some one else can mind the child.

D

Deleted member 28

Let all the call centre mom's take their babies in as well, they can listen, think and talk while looking after the nipper.

mudsticks

Squire
Let all the call centre mom's take their babies in as well, they can listen, think and talk while looking after the nipper.

How exactly do you think all those millions of parents who usually work in call centres, or online, but have had to WFH over the last eighteen months, have been managing, of late.??

Did they just lock their kids in a cupboard for the whole duration.?

We can easily adapt some of our workspaces to be more parent and child friendly.

The fact that some don't want to, is the issue.

Why don't they want to??
Is another interesting question.

D

Deleted member 28

If you genuinely think you can concentrate fully on your job with a nipper strapped to you then fair enough, politicians aside, perhaps it will be the new 'normal '. Best of luck.

She's not working from home though is she, that's the point.

BoldonLad

You actually said

How does 'feeds child' not encompass breast feeding?

I did say it didn't "encompass" breast feeding, but, it is possible to feed a child, in other ways. In other words, I was talking about "feeding" in general, ie via a breast, via. bottle, even with a spoon.

If you genuinely think you can concentrate fully on your job with a nipper strapped to you then fair enough, politicians aside, perhaps it will be the new 'normal '. Best of luck.

The reality is that sitting on the green leather is not the be all and end all of an MPs job. They spend much more time on other stuff, not least working for their constituents dealing with email and correspondence etc.

The issue is whether Ms Creasey she can take the child into the chamber when she wants/needs to listen to/participate in debates. That apparently includes the debates held in Westminster Hall. It was attending there that apparently earned her a rebuke from the House 'Admin'.

The reports suggest MPs can go through the lobby to vote with their baby.

It's purely the 'in the house' stuff we're talking about. For the rest of the job she's in the same boat as any other mother juggling a baby and a toddler. She has a separate gripe about lack of maternity cover for her constituency work.

Cirrus

Whilst the infant is breastfeeding though, only one person can do that , the owner of the breasts.

Well, to be fair women have been known to express milk for later use, then anyone can tend to the child's needs, I know I did with my daughters.

mudsticks

Squire

It's not 'the point' that she's not working from home, no.

The point is ms Creasy can, and moreover should be able to attend the HoC with her infant.

If she's barred by from doing that, she is barred from the democratic process for absolutely no good reason, at all .

She would not be able to vote, or have her say on important in issues.
Her constituents have elected do her to do that.

Why should she be barred, from doing so.??

It's perfectly 'normal' for millions of parents worldwide to have their kids strapped to them, during their daily work, especially breastfeeding mothers .

Some by choice, some through necessity..
Some choose to take maternity or paternity leave if it's available to them.

Some have access to good and affordable childcare, and choose to use that.

Others don't have that option.

This really is 'Janet and John ' level 'splaining, isn't it..??

Top Bottom