Work and parenthood

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
A2D85F20-59EF-4D79-A324-629E35A2A837.jpeg

Stella Creasy MP has been told that she may no longer have her baby with her in the debating chamber at work. Why? She’s not operating heavy machinery or driving a bus, is she? What does it say about the value we place on parenthood?

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...er-reprimand-for-bringing-infant-into-commons

mudsticks

Squire
View attachment 256

Stella Creasy MP has been told that she may no longer have her baby with her in the debating chamber at work. Why? She’s not operating heavy machinery or driving a bus, is she? What does it say about the value we place on parenthood?

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...er-reprimand-for-bringing-infant-into-commons

Let's hope there will be some furious back pedalling on all this very soon.

Women / mothers / children - should be centred in our politics - as they are the bedrock of society - and are most affected by politics as a whole.

Maybe the sight of a woman with a child brings this fact a little too close to home for some MPs.

Makes it hard to vote in some of the terrible deadening to society policies this government has brought forward.

mudsticks

Squire
All parents really. Breastfeeding aside, I would be just as happy to see a father doing the same.

Yes I agree in principal.

But fathers of small babies have been 'allowed' into parliament since the beginning .

It's just they've been able to conveniently leave those infants elsewhere, with the owners of the breastfeeding apparatus .

If we really and truly want equality , then mothers with infants need to be accomodated, nay welcomed into all the places that politics is done

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Fathers and/or mothers, brining their children into the workplace, no problem, personally, I am more concerned that the fathers/mothers do their job thoroughly and efficiently, than I am in their childcare arrangements.

mudsticks

Squire
Fathers and/or mothers, brining their children into the workplace, no problem, personally, I am more concerned that the fathers/mothers do their job thoroughly and efficiently, than I am in their childcare arrangements.

Salty:rolleyes:

Good childcare provision, and sensible family friendly policy making, is going to make for the better capability of parents, to do parenting well.

Ian H

Guru
The place is already full of unruly children so I doubt another one will matter
There does appear to be a significant number with special needs.

mudsticks

Squire
The place is already full of unruly children so I doubt another one will matter

Except of course this child isn't unruly
It's perfectly calm.

As is it's mother who is a thoughtful, engaged grown up person, doing her job.

It is, a shame I agree, that some of the other MPs neglect to act in the same way.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Salty:rolleyes:

Good childcare provision, and sensible family friendly policy making, is going to make for the better capability of parents, to do parenting well.

Yes, I want them to do parenting well, but, in this instance, I was referring to them (mothers/fathers) doing the job (during working hours) they are being paid for, and doing is diligently.

mudsticks

Squire
Yes, I want them to do parenting well, but, in this instance, I was referring to them (mothers/fathers) doing the job (during working hours) they are being paid for, and doing is diligently.

The two go hand in hand surely

Good childcare provision, good policy making, gives for the ability to do both jobs well.

Maybe care work - of children and elders should be waged too to properly recognise it's importance.

Top Bottom