Yet more Tory sleaze….

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

icowden

Legendary Member
Ooof - PMQ's was spectacular. A live defection of a Tory MP to labour, and David Davis publicly calling for the PM to resign.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
As soon as a person becomes aware of a transgression they should say so. In this case, playing politics with timing is offensive to people who suffered with covid or with the covid restrictions. The partygate behaviour was also offensive of course, but Dominic Cummings was not the only person aware of it.

Were party minions scared of losing their jobs if they came clean? Hoping all the blame would be deflected to Boris Johnson personally at a more convenient moment? What a disgusting manipulation all round.

It is a pretty long list of people who must have known about this (even without thinking very hard):

- there are police on duty at the door, didn't they notice the suitcases of booze, or, people under the influence?
- there were supposedly approximately 100 people there, so, every one of them knew
- presumably, a high proportion of the c100 attendees have partners, presumably, many of them knew
- the Government drivers and/or taxi-drivers who ferried the partygoers home

Normally, I would have said various journalists must have known, but, I suspect they were too busy having their own parties to bother reporting on it.

Last edited:

farfromtheland

Regular AND Goofy
I don't think, even now, that there is a Tory contender able to win a leadership ballot decisively. Hence they are all retrenching and thinking of someone to hold the doomed fort for a while, while an election looms. Then it is much easier to work for more credibility in opposition, unless you are Kier Starmer, who doesn't know which side his bread is buttered.

Such a candidate would be a fall guy. They might prefer an election now. Then Labour take the flack for the crime and policing bill, amongst other things.

mjr

Normally, I would have said various journalists must have known, but, I suspect they were too busy having their own parties to bother reporting on it.
Weren't the "press pack" booted out of Downing Street due to covid and social distancing during both the first lockdown (when the 15th and 20th May garden parties happened) and the pre-Christmas period when London was placed into Tier 3 "No Gathering"? A cynic might think he'd dumped London into Tier 3 on 16 December to make their 18 December 40-person party easier to hold unseen by press. I'm wondering how big the parties were after Tier 4 "Stay At Home" was imposed on 20 December!

farfromtheland

Regular AND Goofy
And did it take a lot of thought before you found the right time to break the story, or did you rush in with no thought of how it may affect those around you ?
The first time I heard something deeply suspicious, as a teenager, and immediately told those around me I thought needed to know and act on it. They did.

A similar situation some years later a colleague of mine was the whistleblower, but we in the workgroup had been looking for evidence for some time. She reported and the official response was so delayed that nothing happened and the matter had to be dropped for the sake of the victims. This issue was complicated by ongoing consideration of the vulnerable people concerned.

The third time was a case of a management figure giving a job to an old drug buddy, who fiddled big cash and wrecked a fine community project. The buddy was exposed, by several of us, as events emerged. The organisation was taken over by edict and most of us lost our jobs. The management figure was able to cover his tracks and get other crony roles, which I continued to criticise along with many. We had to be cautious because of slander law, but it became common knowledge.

The fourth time I was caught in a quandary, because though I was bullied at work this was because I had been given the job over the heads of and against the better judgement of my boss and colleague. I resigned.

The fifth time I messed up.

The sixth time was a case of the local council leader doing dodgy deals with property developers. I was the first to call this out openly in a council meeting as a member of the public. The campaign I was involved in eventually got a lot of what we needed, after the leader was deposed when others came forward to challenge him politically and as a bully.

Last edited:

farfromtheland

Regular AND Goofy
Oh, there was another time when I maybe did a 'fools rush in' at my first proper job. It was sorted out sympathetically to both parties by the unions.

D

Deleted member 49

I’d like to see a bye election as I’m not a big fan of MPs defecting. Even if I agree with them.
Did he suddenly develop a conscience...I'm sure he'll feel right at home in the Labour party.🙄

Beebo

Veteran
While any Tory defecting is always worth a cheer, it would be better if it were done for political ideology rather than trying to save their own skin at the next election.
If an MP defects they should resign the seat in fairness to their own constituents.
I agree.
It will be an interesting selection for the seat next time.
I suspect the previous Labour MP would rather like the seat back.

Top Bottom