At last! A benefit of Brexit!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Veteran
They beach their boat at Dungeness and are picked up by Border Force.
They claim Asylum.
If they're found to have refugee status then they'll get leave to remain.
It they're not refugees but what you term economic migrants then where do they go?
Brexit makes it more difficult to return them to the EU as the Dublin Convention about first place of safety (though actually not that simple in practice) no longer applies.
A further host of reasons, some of which are Brexit related may make it difficult to return them to their 'home' country.

PS - did you ever see the RNLI fly on the wall thing I recommended about pulling migrants from the sea?

Do you honestly think that upon our leaving the EU, thousands of economic migrants thought 'time I got paddling'?

For whatever reason our country - which you and many others on here do nothing other than slag off - is extremely attractive to those crossing the channel.

It was before Brexit, and it still is afterwards, thus Brexit is largely irrelevant to economic migrants seeking to enter this country illegally,

The numbers seeking/claiming asylum have not risen since Brexit. Rather there's been a modal shift from hiding in lorries to small boats.

Those crossing the channel are actually a tiny proportion of the numbers arriving in Europe via the Med etc. Their reasons are fairly well documented - relatives and or established communities here, English language etc.

While you are firmly of the opinion that 'boat people' are economic migrants what actual evidence is there? Yes, a lot of them are young men but we've discussed previously why that might be the case.

The Home Office now needs to get its finger out and start actually deciding which claims to Asylum are well founded. If of course the HO have a good idea that actually a very large number have well founded claims them maybe they'll drag their feet.

Others reading this should note that the first personal snipe on this sub thread, para 2 of post #16, has come from @Pale Rider; who claims only to retaliate.

Pale Rider

Veteran
Others reading this should note that the first personal snipe on this sub thread, para 2 of post #16, has come from @Pale Rider; who claims only to retaliate.

Eh?

You and several other members do little else other than slag off this country.

I do find it odd that so many who live here seem to think it's shite, yet so many who don't live here are prepared to risk their lives to do so.

Either their countries - and all the others they pass through to get here - must be truly dreadful, or those that slag off the UK have little grasp of reality.

The latter is much more likely.

Either their countries - and all the others they pass through to get here - must be truly dreadful, or those that slag off the UK have little grasp of reality.

If they're from (say) Afghanistan or Yemen then truly dreadful is right; it's no surprise they want to escape.

If you want to understand why they don't stay in France the Guardian article linked in @Fab Foodie's OP provides some clues.

Those of us n here who are 'slagging off' our government do so with reason. It's not the country itself just the choices made on its behalf.

mudsticks

Squire
If they're from (say) Afghanistan or Yemen then truly dreadful is right; it's no surprise they want to escape.

If you want to understand why they don't stay in France the Guardian article linked in @Fab Foodie's OP provides some clues.

Those of us n here who are 'slagging off' our government do so with reason. It's not the country itself just the choices made on its behalf.

When did it become unacceptable to to criticise the government of the day??

Isn't repression of such criticism a symptom or indication of totalitarian regimes.

Aren't 'we' supposed to espouse freedom of political thought and speech??

There are many good things about this country.

But there are also many bad things going on.
Unhelpful decisions being made.

Since when did pointing out those bad things become beyond the pale ..??

D

Deleted member 28

How about commenting on why immigration has increased when we were told it would fall. And the fact we can’t deport them anymore even if we want to.
Best ask the politicians, I obviously think it's backfired but there's nothing I can do about it.
I thought it would make certain people happy as it means more immigrants coming in?

mudsticks

Squire
Anna Notherthing….
One pachyderm in the room at COP26 is mass migration. In particular any embryo of a plan to deal with the inevitable largest movement of people ever. This could start very rapidly and very soon as parts of the globe become uninhabitable. Yes, we all know a few Tropical islands in the middle of the ocean are gonna disappear and those inhabitants will have to be relocated, but that’s just the tip of a very large rapidly melting iceberg.
Get used to it folks, sharing will be caring….

I wasn't there, but one of my compadres was..
There was a 'side discussion' hosted by the UN in the Blue Zone on what the globe would look like 'without borders'

Of course it's not going to happen, anytime soon.
But still I thought it interesting that they're even hypothesising about it, in in such a public event. 🤔

You and several other members do little else other than slag off this country.
Boris Johnson and his criminal associates are not the country. It’s the way it is being run that is being criticised, not the majority of its people. HTH.

Pale Rider

Veteran

Not really.

The way the country is being run makes it what it is.

I wonder if there's anything some members on here don't moan about.

None of which explains why so many economic migrants are so desperate to get here.

If they were forced to read this forum before leaving they'd think 'what a dump, who in their right mind would want to go there?'

So if/when there’s a government that you choose to criticise you’re slagging off the country too, yes?

If they were forced to read this forum before leaving they'd think 'what a dump, who in their right mind would want to go there?’
Given the preponderance of decent folk on this forum I hope and expect they would think the opposite.

None of which explains why so many economic migrants are so desperate to get here.

IF those arriving on the south coast are only here for the money/opportunity then they will be rumbled by the Asylum process for which pretty well all of them, >99%, apply.

Would you be able to explain that dichotomy?

It's also the case that 12-18 months in Asylum hostels or whatever is a tough gig compared to melting off into the 'black economy' which tends to be the destination of those coming for money.

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

Guru
Not really.

I wonder if there's anything some members on here don't moan about.

If they were forced to read this forum before leaving they'd think 'what a dump, who in their right mind would want to go there?'
As I have stated on many similar threads, I’m proud of the fact that Migrants believe the UK to be a decent and safe place for them to make the extreme sacrifices to come here. But believe is the key word and on arrival the grim reality hits home; a xenophobic nation who’s government’s policy is to create conditions ‘openly hostile’ to migrants and asylum seekers. Priti Nazi’s Immigration Bill, (a torrid piece of legislation not worth of consideration by anyone with an ounce of humanity) clearly demonstrates this.
What’s the phrase ‘not in my name’?

Whether you like it or not, xenephobia and hate has escalated as a result of Brexit, a nation-devaluing project built on lies that was instigated and executed by the Tories. The irony in this thread (and it’s raison d’etra) being that again as in every other case to date Brexit has completely failed to deliver for the nation and its people, and in this case shot itself in its feet….

The govt. of which you are a supporter are serial lying sleazebags (which is undeniable) and as with any govt. deserves to be criticised.
I’m not sorry you don’t like it. Feel free to post the positives….

Last edited:

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
As I have stated on many similar threads, I’m proud of the fact that Migrants believe the UK to be a decent and safe place for them to make the extreme sacrifices to come here. But believe is the key word and on arrival the grim reality hits home; a xenophobic nation who’s government’s policy is to create conditions ‘openly hostile’ to migrants and asylum seekers. Priti Nazi’s Immigration Bill, (a torrid piece of legislation not worth of consideration by anyone with an ounce of humanity) clearly demonstrates this.
What’s the phrase ‘not in my name’?

Whether you like it or not, xenephobia and hate has escalated as a result of Brexit, a nation-devaluing project built on lies that was instigated and executed by the Tories. The irony in this thread (and it’s raison d’etra) being that again as in every other case to date Brexit has completely failed to deliver for the nation and its people, and in this case shot itself in its feet….

The govt. of which you are a supporter are serial lying sleazebags (which is undeniable) and as with any govt. deserves to be criticised.
I’m not sorry you don’t like it. Feel free to post the positives….

Agree 100% with the bolded bit.... but... we had a referendum, the "leave" side could not have "won" without a LOT of non-Tories voting "leave". So, if may have been a Conservative PM who was foolish enough to offer the choice, but, (sadly, in my opinion), the majority voted "Leave".

Just be clear... I didn't vote for Boris, and, I voted Remain.

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

Guru
Agree 100% with the bolded bit.... but... we had a referendum, the "leave" side could not have "won" without a LOT of non-Tories voting "leave". So, if may have been a Conservative PM who was foolish enough to offer the choice, but, (sadly, in my opinion), the majority voted "Leave".

Just be clear... I didn't vote for Boris, and, I voted Remain.
There’s lot’s of debate around numbers and the referendum itself, but yes, basically I agree.
But so many that were convinced by Brexit where totally and utterly lied to. Those with a foot in reality were know as ‘project fear’. It’s no surprise that recent polls reflect Brexiteers remorse with the majority now saying we should have stayed in. Project Fear won!

In my opinion, Starmer should start building a movement that seeks to strengthen ties with the EU in many areas not just ‘Make Brexit Work’.

Top Bottom