Brexit is going wonderfully as shown by these examples

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Rusty Nails

Rusty Nails

Country Member
Not sure I get the connection?

On past performance, I would not have thought it likely that current Government would be enthusiastic about Nationalisation of Food Production, or, very much else for that matter.

But, as an aspirational thought, for a future Labour Government (say), don't you think it would fly, they could even borrow one of JC's ideas, and modify it, instead of free broadband, how about a National Free Food allocation to each and every citizen?

That Food Strategy document is not about Nationalisation of Food Production afaics, but about a more focussed approach by governments to standards and controls based on sustainability of resources and quality of food rather than the race to the bottom we have been in.

D

Deleted member 121

That is at variance with what @mudsticks appears to think, but, if that is what you think, fair enough.

Leaving the above to one side, I didn't envisage that an incoming Labour (?) Government would implement everything on day one, but, Nationalisation of Food Production could be in queue, at an appropriate point.

Well, don't you buy food? When was the last time you were poisoned by it? Food standards are high, competition is high and prices are competitive. That can't be said for rail, water, energy whether that be non arrival of trains, giant turds and floating Johnnie's down the river or energy costs and are some of the highest in the world. I'm not saying food is without it's problems in the UK and mudsticks is on the front line of it, but I'm saying there are certainly areas that we need to get to grips as to make green travel and energy effective and prices put under control to bring down inflation where we can perhaps get to grips with food production and security in this country.

mudsticks

Squire
I'm not unsympathetic to that, but doesn't that then mean we are left with 2 choices effectively? Lower food regulation, legislation and standards anyway (bleached chicken springs to mind) to lower costs for higher profitability or raise prices to the consumer instigated by an elected government to protect producers? You can see how any elected government is going to see that as about as popular as a fart in a bus shelter.
How effective could these changes be domestically, if we import approximately 50 percent of our food requirements which Brexit has already contributed to higher prices and how do we ensure domestically produced food is competitive with imported produce produced at a lower cost with lower overheads? how then do we then ensure food security given the huge quantities of food we import? Surely, it means higher prices in any instance?

Studies have shown that even a relatively small amount of support (and protection) for farmers and growers would make a big difference to viability of many farm businesses, and their ability to keep supplying.

And enable them to supply more.

For example, there is supposed to be price (received) protection via the grocery code adjudicator, that is meant to oversee fair dealing btxt producer and (supermarket).buyer.

But it's largely ineffective, so producer gets screwed over til they give up..

defra have instigated some programmes via farmer to farmer mentoring for example, to encourage new business start ups, but there are other barriers besides lack of knowledge and training to these businesses really flourishing..

Anyhow, all this stuff and trouble was fully predicted pre Brexit, and we went on about it then, and since, myself included, only to be told we were making stuff up, project fear, etc etc.

So, just let them eat cheap heavily processed shite and devil take their wellbeing eh??

I mean I'm perfectly ok , surrounded by fresh food - and have a ready market for my produce, so why should I even give a damn ?? 🙄

Ian H

Guru
She retired from egg laying last year. She outlived her three siblings and two replacements.
She spent a lot of her time being broody- she went missing once and was eventually found under the garden shed sitting on about 15 eggs.

Fifteen sounds rather painful. But then I'm not a [spring] chicken.

mudsticks

Squire
They weren't all hers. When a chook goes broody she'll sit on anyone's eggs. Or golf balls.

I got a bit pecked today, shifting one of my feathered friends off of her 'adopted' clutch of eight or so eggs.

Given that we collect eggs twice a day, and even at the best of times each hen only lays one egg a day, they couldn't all have been hers - as she was trying to make out 😇

Last edited:

mudsticks

Squire
Friends of mine are dairy farmers near here. They voted for brexit. Now they are disarmingly honest and embarrassed about the self-harm they've done themselves and how much it has damaged their business.

Well to be fair it wasn't only farmers that were duped by all the lies into voting leave.

There were all kinds of promises made about how it would be better, and that 'British' farmers would be protected.

Dairy farmers were, and still are screwed over by wholesale buyers and commodification.

In many instances it was only the (EU) area payments that was keeping them afloat.

The options for cooperative or direct sales are limited, and complicated with dairy produce.

Overheads are massive, returns low, often below the cost of production.

Why would anyone keep going other than through sheer doggedness, or pride??

Reactions: C R

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Oh dear it is a rather slow day in the Bolders household isn't it..??

'Nationalisation' of something implies that it gets government support via policy adjustments, and even direct funding.

The National Food Strategy - the report that this very government commissioned, and then ignored proposed various ways that the government could support and enhance, via policy and funding good food production, availability, and better nutrition across the country as a whole.

But yeah I get it, it's very difficult to see the connection 🙄

But, as I already said, I wasn’t talking about THIS government, I was thinking in terms of what a future Labour(?) government could achieve.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
That Food Strategy document is not about Nationalisation of Food Production afaics, but about a more focussed approach by governments to standards and controls based on sustainability of resources and quality of food rather than the race to the bottom we have been in.

So? It wasn’t me who brought the strategy document into the discussion.

Top Bottom