Brexit is going wonderfully as shown by these examples

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 121

I read elsewhere that Starkey's were trying to get cheap labour from prisoners out on day release, presumably from the nearby Lowdham Grange prison. I wonder what happened to that idea

Perhaps her cooking wasn't up to scratch and perhaps she didn't offer a big enough bung...

ontent%2Fuploads%2F2017%2F01%2FShawshank-Images-06.jpg

Cirrus

Perhaps her cooking wasn't up to scratch and perhaps she didn't offer a big enough bung...

View attachment 3985

Battenbung

Beebo

Veteran
“I think the seasonal pickers will still want to come. Whichever way you cut it, they’re going to be paid more in England than in their own country. Defra [the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs] will, I presume, realise we can’t get enough English workers to do the work – we won’t have any farming [in this country] if we don’t have our extra help.”

In 2017 she knew there was a problem and how to fix it.

Her error is thinking the government could square the circle of stopping immigration whilst try to
protect agriculture.

Most of us knew it was never going to happen.

D

Deleted member 28

In 2017 she knew there was a problem and how to fix it.

Her error is thinking the government could square the circle of stopping immigration whilst try to
protect agriculture.

Most of us knew it was never going to happen.

Her problem is not paying a decent wage and maximising profits, hire local people and pay them properly.

Beebo

Veteran
Her problem is not paying a decent wage and maximising profits, hire local people and pay them properly.

I bet she hadn’t thought of that.
She’ll be so pleased when you tell her.

There’s only a few problems. She’s been priced out of the market as it is, how does she afford higher wages?
Local people don’t tend to want to do the work and even if they did the government have made it almost impossible to do seasonal work and claim Universal Credit in the off season.

D

Deleted member 49

Agreed....cheap labour and also denying public sector workers pay rises in line with inflation.Up the workers Shep ?

mudsticks

Squire

Ha ha ha, you're such an ignorant clown Shep.
And clearly not ashamed to reveal as much.

Way to tell us you have absolutely no clue how business, nor food pricing works if you're a producer selling to supermarkets.

Yes, the supermarkets are just going to say

"Sure thing we'll pay you double for your fruit, to make up for your using costlier, but lower skilled local workers - that is if you can find any even willing to give it a (ham fisted) go"

Ms Starkey fell for the brexit bs, just like you and many others did.

You (and others) think you 'haven't been affected by brexit'

Is this because a massive anvil marked 'Brexit' didn't fall on your head from a great height, the day after we left.??

Be assured your future, and your kids future have been very much affected - in many ways - very much for the worse - as it happens.

Agreed....cheap labour and also denying public sector workers pay rises in line with inflation.Up the workers Shep ?

Including the 'cheap labour' of farmers eh??

Sadly many farmers fell for the idea that The CAP was the source of their problems.

When all along it was the price makers, the middle men, the supermarkets, and multiples, and in no little measure the 'consumer' who didn't / doesn't value enough the work of the farmer, the grower, nor really that of the food worker neither.

Many is the time I've been glad I went for the direct sales route so I can keep (most) of the proceeds of my labour, and pass on a half decent wage to those who work for me.

But this model has been derided as 'unrealistic' 'inefficient' and outdated by many for a long time.
A derisive idea keenly promoted by those extractive middle men of course.

Turns out, it's highly realistic, resilient, and produces lots of very good quality fresh food with minimal wastage..

But sorry no profits for those middlemen - oh dear what a shame.
So who on earth is going to promote it??

And now what do we do, as a country that needs food,??

Import cheap stuff, if we can, from countries with even lower labour and environmental protection standards than exist here .??

Take food from other people's lands and mouths because we didn't think long term about creating a secure healthy and sustainable food system here, on one of the most productive pieces of land on the planet??

Chickens coming home to roost springs to mind, I'm afraid..

mudsticks

Squire
@shep why?, it’s been so peaceful ;)
Best FO back to the 'retirement thread' for an agreeable little snooze then Bolders, if my truth telling vexes you so 😉**

Btw this** bit means I get a free pass for coming out with any old shizxle 😉

That's right isn't it ?? 😉

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Best FO back to the 'retirement thread' for an agreeable little snooze then Bolders, if my truth telling vexes you so 😉**

It’s too easy

D

Deleted member 28

Touched a nerve have we?

mudsticks

Squire
Heh. Someone's been biding their time. I did wonder.

I've been working, and then off on my holidays - lovely time Thankyou 😀

PXL_20230531_184903650.MP.jpg

Beautiful mountains, hiking for days on end, birthday socials, and then a couple of good bands and some other bits of funky culture on the way home through Glasgow. 👍🏼

I don't think you need me here though love.

Looks like you've got everything well under control 😉

Unkraut

Master of the Inane Comment
and also denying public sector workers pay rises in line with inflation.

As an aside having worked in the public sector I don't begrudge them a reasonable level of pay, but not an automatic pay rise in line with inflation caused by the effects of a Soviet relic starting a war with economic consequences.

The same mentality exists on this side of the Channel.

The private sector has to be a bit more careful with such a sense of entitlement.

Now back to the wonders of Brexit ...

Top Bottom