Can the (Met) police ever change?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
In a stunning misreading of the room, the police federation have issued a statement of no confidence in Sadiq Khan.
Satire...alive and kicking in the UK, just not where you expect it....

OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

Über Member
From the BBC: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-60418556
Two serving Metropolitan Police officers and one former officer have been charged with sending grossly offensive messages on WhatsApp, the Crown Prosecution Service has said.
They will appear at Westminster Magistrates' Court on 16 March.
The Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) has said that the charges relate to the case of Wayne Couzens, who murdered Sarah Everard.

OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

Über Member
The Met sure don't have their troubles to seek. This assault should be a career-ending event.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/cri...x-drinks-binge-city-london-crime-b987526.html

Pc Luke Wilson, 28, squared up to Johnny White at the Be At One cocktail bar when staff complained about off-duty police officers flouting the rule of six on a team-bonding evening.
Westminster magistrates’ court heard officers flashed their warrant cards when arriving at the bar, while others told staff to “lighten up” when they were told to abide by the Covid regulations.
Wilson, a police officer with the Met since 2015, headbutted Mr White when the manager challenged the group for moving around and having more than six sitting together at one table.

An acting inspector and at least four sergeants were on the night out, in a group of between 20 and 25 officers.
The Pc claimed self-defence, but District Judge Briony Clarke dismissed his evidence as “not honest or credible” and suggested Wilson’s police colleagues had been breaking the rules.
Wilson, from Gravesend, denied but was convicted of assault by beating. He was freed on bail.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
The Met sure don't have their troubles to seek. This assault should be a career-ending event.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/cri...x-drinks-binge-city-london-crime-b987526.html

Pc Luke Wilson, 28, squared up to Johnny White at the Be At One cocktail bar when staff complained about off-duty police officers flouting the rule of six on a team-bonding evening.
Westminster magistrates’ court heard officers flashed their warrant cards when arriving at the bar, while others told staff to “lighten up” when they were told to abide by the Covid regulations.
Wilson, a police officer with the Met since 2015, headbutted Mr White when the manager challenged the group for moving around and having more than six sitting together at one table.

An acting inspector and at least four sergeants were on the night out, in a group of between 20 and 25 officers.
The Pc claimed self-defence, but District Judge Briony Clarke dismissed his evidence as “not honest or credible” and suggested Wilson’s police colleagues had been breaking the rules.
Wilson, from Gravesend, denied but was convicted of assault by beating. He was freed on bail.

IMHO it should be a career ending event for the PC involved, and his drinking pals on that occasion.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
IMHO it should be a career ending event for the PC involved, and his drinking pals on that occasion.
I am not sure I agree on the end of their careers, other than the PC, but the senior officers should be disciplined for taking part and not controlling him and the situation.

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
Dismissal for the head butting idiot and disciplinaries for the others in the group, especially any who flashed their warrant card. If you are a police officer or police admin staff, using the police computer system to look up someone, or something, for your personal curiosity is a sackable offence. Showing your warrant card when it is not required of the situation, ie personal use when not on duty, should also be a sackable offence.

In the big scheme of things this might not seem a massive deal but it's the kind of stuff that undermines public confidence in the police.

Milkfloat

I‘m just leaving this here as a placeholder while we wait for the outcome of the surely soon to be concluded disciplinary process.

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...black-girl-school-east-london-racism-misogyny
Just in case the world is not intact in 5 years time, can I pre-empt the outcome and suggest that it will be in the nature of, "oopps sorry we won't do it again, well at least until the next time"? What thought process can there be to all involved to think it is okay to strip search a minor over suspicion of a non serious offence without parents/guardians present or even informed?

mudsticks

Squire
I‘m just leaving this here as a placeholder while we wait for the outcome of the surely soon to be concluded disciplinary process.

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...black-girl-school-east-london-racism-misogyny

Tbh I couldn't bring myself to post this here, as its just too awful for words, nothing short of sexual assault, but there will be some people who find discussing this sort of thing mild to moderately titillating, and others who will dispute the systemic misogyny and racism that can lead to this kind of behaviour by people who are supposed to protect the public -

They're supposed to uphold the law with proportionate action - and protect the public not demean and assault them.

As i said upthread is it any wonder that large sections of the population have zero trust in the police 'force*' .??
And act accordingly.

*And that seems to be how many in the police now see themselves as a 'force' not as being there to be of 'service'...

Sickening.

Milkfloat

At the same time you have to question the girl's consenting to being treated in this manner.
Did it not occur to her to flag down a passing bus?
We need more 'like' options. I am pretty sure like, laugh, hugs, sad, cool or wow could each be appropriate but also wildly provocative. I am looking for one that says "I get what you are saying, it is very clever, yet deeply depressing that the circumstances exist that mean you have to say it". Perhaps a winking, whistling, crying, angry smiley with a broken heart background would do it.

Top Bottom