Cardiff electric bike incident

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyRM

Elder Goth
If you're following something, you're pursuing it. Whether with intent, suspicion or anything else, it's still a pursuit.

matticus

Guru
I would also suggest that if you find yourself driving in front of a police vehicle, the more laws you are breaking, the more likely you are to make the kind of assumptions you allude to.

If you're following something, you're pursuing it. Whether with intent, suspicion or anything else, it's still a pursuit.

My own observation from Channel 5's wall to wall fly on the coppers' wall programmes is that having determined they want to stop somebody then it's blue lights/siren. If that's not effective in getting the driver to stop then before it becomes a hot pursuit, ie a chase, they have to get authorisation from a senior officer.

If on the other hand the officers are just following while mentally ticking off a list of infringements of the law that's not a pursuit.

C R

Über Member
A thesaurus is what you want.

I don't think you can say that following a vehicle is synonymous with pursuing a vehicle, though the other way around is trivially true.

OP
OP
Beebo

Beebo

Veteran
“Pursuing” has an aim and a conclusion. It is purposeful.
“Following” is much less active.

Where the blue lights flashing on the van? That would indicate a pursuit to me.

Reactions: C R

AndyRM

Elder Goth
I don't think you can say that following a vehicle is synonymous with pursuing a vehicle, though the other way around is trivially true.

I agree. I'm just bored to be honest.

The whole situation is a mess IMO, two kids have died, the police have made an arse of things and a community is being made to look worse than it is. Grim all round really.

matticus

Guru
The question seems to be why it was initially said that the police were not in pursuit. Did the pursuit get called off but the rider kept going dangerously? We just don't know.

Later Grauniad suggests they went through a ped-only barrier to get onto Snowden Road. There is one on the map from Jackson Road.
(then allegedly hit a lamp-post 100metres later)

If true, that would easily explain any "pursuit" being called off. Assuming there was a pursuit ...

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
I just find it strange that both died at what would have been a relatively low speed crash. Unless of course they had a head-on with a car and therefore a high combined speed.

Pre-cycle helmets in the Tour de France I can only recall one death, amongst the hundreds, nay thousands of low and high speed crashes.

I'm not inferring anything untoward, but it is extraordinary.

According to reports I saw (BBC), a bus was involved

Top Bottom