COP26: All talk or some real action on climate change?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
You said "oh dear"

Where I come from, that usually indicates that a problem of some sort , has arisen.

Maybe it means something else in your neck of the woods??
Screenshot 2021-10-25 at 14.23.30.png

;)

mudsticks

Squire

Opuntia ficus-indica .

Or Barbary fig..

Reasonably tasty fruit, but nothing special..

Can spread like a weed, but might also help to stabilise fragile soils .

Pale Rider

Veteran
Climate change campaigners take themselves too seriously shocker.

mudsticks

Squire
Imagine watching this and still voting tory next time.
What you don't find him funny.....you need to lighten up 🙄

So embarrassing , this is the human tasked with showing leadership , at the absolutely last possible chance global climate change gathering. ??

The person hosting negotiations which will affect all the lives of the earth's population, human and non human for centuries to come, has the mentality of a twelve year old, who still thinks that fart jokes are the last word in comedy.

Unbearable .

Hopefully he will be sidelined in a special room with some 'fun chums' whilst the grown ups get on with the serious work .

Maybe someone can find him some wine boxes to convert into buses with all the peoples painted inside.

Tbh he'd probably be most use as an 'entertainer' at one of the childcare spaces..

Rusty Nails

Country Member
I watched a TV interview with David Attenborough and, while I agree totally with what he is trying to do, and the urgency of the situation, I wonder statements like 'If we do not act now it will be too late" are making the climate change argument hostage to fortune.

When is "now"? If little is done over the next ten years and the world is still plodding along with most people not noticing a real difference to their lives, despite scientific statements saying things are still getting worse, will not that give climate change deniers/apologists/polluters a chance to say "see, still here, you were just crying wolf" and carry on as usual.

Archie_tect

I watched a TV interview with David Attenborough and, while I agree totally with what he is trying to do, and the urgency of the situation, I wonder statements like 'If we do not act now it will be too late" are making the climate change argument hostage to fortune.

When is "now"? If little is done over the next ten years and the world is still plodding along with most people not noticing a real difference to their lives, despite scientific statements saying things are still getting worse, will not that give climate change deniers/apologists/polluters a chance to say "see, still here, you were just crying wolf" and carry on as usual.
People who have a vested interest in not doing anything will continue to do nothing, or attempt to derail things, regardless.

Archie_tect

I approach climate change in the same way I did my pension when I started work 45 years ago... retirement seemed so far ahead that you could choose to not bother and besides the pittance that you could afford to put aside seemed so insignificant that many people think they'd rather use the money to enjoy themselves.

As the years go by some people start to think that they'd wished they'd started saving for their retirement earlier yet some still think they will be OK to carry on enjoying themselves as someone else will look after them. On the day people retire, some have planned for it but some haven't done anything and are too late to support themselves... you'd passed the tipping point 20 years earlier

mudsticks

Squire

Who are the most people not noticing a difference??

A relatively few 'well insulated' westerners in truth.

Large numbers of people are already noticing a difference today, several years ago even..
Desertification, extreme weather events.

Floods forest fires , stronger hurricanes.
Unreliable cropping.

Livelihoods and lives already being taken away by the effects of climate change.

As farmers we are on the frontline of climate change.

Even I've noticed a difference, and that's on a farm where I've tried to build in resilience to unpredictable weather, and conditions.

Things are getting more extreme even here in the UK.

Imagine how it is in less equable climates.

If anything I've got a bone to pick with Mr Attenborough over downplaying all this for years.

Habitat loss, and extinctions (wayy over naturally occuring ones) have been playing out for years..
He's known that ..
Climate change has been part of that.

He's been very 'Understated BBC ' about it all.

Could have been a bit more vocal, quite a lot earlier imo..

People who have a vested interest in not doing anything will continue to do nothing, or attempt to derail things, regardless.

Exactly this stuff is happening now.

It's not some remote possibility that might cause a bit of bother in the future.

This is now, and we've got a 'clown' at the helm .

It feels a bit desperate going along to the COP in some ways.

Trying to wrest some agreements , that will doubtless be shilly shallied over

But some, benchmarking, and commitments so that those of us who are serious about this issue can at least repeat these agreements back to those who signed up to them .

Regardless of how sincere the intentions of the suits that signed, ever really were.

Top Bottom