COP26: All talk or some real action on climate change?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mudsticks

Squire
40 years ago we were tree huggers, 20 years ago we were eco-warriors, earlier this year we were 'Green Party loonies' [sic] and now we are an uncomfortable thorn.

With uncomfortable truths.

Quite happy and proud to have been a 'loony green tree hugger' all these years.

Tbh it's not been a bad life, lots of fun has been had alongside all the 'worthy' stuff.

I've got to hang out with some utterly splendid people too.

Doing things 'differently' hasn't been at all awful.

Of course there's always that thing of "could I /we have done more to make more people take notice?? "

But it's not like there weren't or aren't hundreds of thousands of eco loons world wide, all saying basically the same thing...

It's just when you're up against the oil corps (etc) and their lobbyists, and general inertia from 'ordinary' people, the odds are stacked against , somewhat...

One reason I'm not giving up just yet.

(Apart from the chance to avoid tenths of degrees of warming, and the hopes of building more resilient systems)

Is that I don't want the younger ones to see me give up trying, and give up hope altogether..

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
I watched a TV interview with David Attenborough and, while I agree totally with what he is trying to do, and the urgency of the situation, I wonder statements like 'If we do not act now it will be too late" are making the climate change argument hostage to fortune.

When is "now"? If little is done over the next ten years and the world is still plodding along with most people not noticing a real difference to their lives, despite scientific statements saying things are still getting worse, will not that give climate change deniers/apologists/polluters a chance to say "see, still here, you were just crying wolf" and carry on as usual.

In the interview I saw (a day or two ago, on BBC), he actually said "it is already too late".... now, this may be true, but, IMHO, it is not wise to say it, since a large tranch of the population will regards that as "no point doing anything". Far better to offer hope (even if he doesn't think there is any).

mudsticks

Squire
In the interview I saw (a day or two ago, on BBC), he actually said "it is already too late".... now, this may be true, but, IMHO, it is not wise to say it, since a large tranch of the population will regards that as "no point doing anything". Far better to offer hope (even if he doesn't think there is any).

It's too late to halt climate change and its effects in our lifetimes, yes, as Archie has said that tipping point has already been reached.

It's not too late to try to slow it down, build resilience do things differently and make things less bad for the future.

Trouble is you've got scientists, trying to communicate complex uncertainties , but also some unavoidable cause and effect modelling to lay people (or non scientists)

Who would rather have absolute definitive answers.

In a world where there are very few such certainties.

I agree he shouldn't have said.
"It's too late"

Although he may have said that in a particular context, and it's been presented out of context..

BoldonLad

It's too late to halt climate change and its effects in our lifetimes, yes, as Archie has said that tipping point has already been reached.

It's not too late to try to slow it down, build resilience do things differently and make things less bad for the future.

Trouble is you've got scientists, trying to communicate complex uncertainties , but also some unavoidable cause and effect modelling to lay people (or non scientists)

Who would rather have absolute definitive answers.

In a world where there are very few such certainties.

I agree he shouldn't have said.
"It's too late"

Although he may have said that in a particular context, and it's been presented out of context..

Quite.

Only if some naughty BBC person edited the interview to miss-represent the context of his remarks.

mudsticks

Squire
Quite.

Only if some naughty BBC person edited the interview to miss-represent the context of his remarks.

Well also bear in mind that David is only some bloke off of the telly.

He's not even a climate scientist, although he should know a lot about it, after all these years.

BoldonLad

Well also bear in mind that David is only some bloke off of the telly.

He's not even a climate scientist, although he should know a lot about it, after all these years.

Yes, but, for the majority of people, who do not avidly follow the news etc, he is one of the "public faces" of Climate Change.

mudsticks

Squire
Yes, but, for the majority of people, who do not avidly follow the news etc, he is one of the "public faces" of Climate Change.

I know.

The obsession with 'celebrity' and 'personality' when it comes to 'issues of the day' is really so unhelpful, in so many ways.

For instance ms Thunberg keeps saying.
"Listen to the climate scientists" stop focussing on me.

But people would rather poke fun at her, or elsewise elevate her as some kind of guru like 'spokesperson' for climate .

Neither of which was her intended aim at all..

Oh well , this isn't getting anything done either is it...

mjr

Climate change campaigners take themselves too seriously shocker.
yeah, fark 'em, it's not like it's a matter of life and... Oh, wait...

They said on the radio that Boaty McBoatface has been moored in Greenwich to coincide with 'That's what I call Cop26' in Glasgow next week...surely the Clyde might have been better?

mudsticks

Squire
yeah, fark 'em, it's not like it's a matter of life and... Oh, wait...

I know, what are we like, right..??

I mean some of us don't even think that saying 'bum' is the last word in cutting edge humour.. :rolleyes:

Clearly we massively need to get over ourselves..

Of course, like most 'groups' who are dealing with rather difficult matters, we have our own particular brand of dark, and self lampooning humour.

But I'm not sure here is the place, for it really.

They said on the radio that Boaty McBoatface has been moored in Greenwich to coincide with 'That's what I call Cop26' in Glasgow next week...surely the Clyde might have been better?

Well there are events going on in all major cities to coincide.

The cynical among us might say that relocating the whole shebang from London, to Glasgow in November, was a calculated move to make it harder for some people to attend.

Apparently there are problems finding accomodation for everyone who wants to go.

Personally I'm cool with it, as not only am I fond of the place, and now have a child residing there, it also gives me chance for a mini skirmish further northward into the hills while I'm in the area :smile:

mjr

The cynical among us might say that relocating the whole shebang from London, to Glasgow in November, was a calculated move to make it harder for some people to attend.

Apparently there are problems finding accomodation for everyone who wants to go.
For people who don't have relatives to stay with, https://cop26coalition.org/coming-to-cop26/homestay-network/ is one effort to help.

But yes, I suspect the thought did occur to someone in Whitehall that Glasgow in late autumn might deter some of those pesky cyclists from making the trip.

Was Rishi's sabotaging budget simply an attempt to make life difficult for Ashok and prevent him becoming a planet-saviour rival once Boris eventually implodes?

swansonj

Regular
I was at a conference, ironically enough a health and safety conference, once where the after-dinner speaker was Quentin Wilson. I was sufficiently moved by his homophobia, anti-environmentalism and advocacy of breaking speed limits that I wrote to the organisers afterwards to complain.

Top Bottom