COP26: All talk or some real action on climate change?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mudsticks

Squire
For people who don't have relatives to stay with, https://cop26coalition.org/coming-to-cop26/homestay-network/ is one effort to help.

But yes, I suspect the thought did occur to someone in Whitehall that Glasgow in late autumn might deter some of those pesky cyclists from making the trip.

Was Rishi's sabotaging budget simply an attempt to make life difficult for Ashok and prevent him becoming a planet-saviour rival once Boris eventually implodes?

:okay:

I'm not staying with relatives either but via the network, ,I'm hostel / floor hopping , and generally trying not to outstay my welcome in any one place.

Three nights in any one place is enough I reckon :angel:

Who knows the inner machinations of the Tory thunking :wacko:

mjr

Who knows the inner machinations of the Tory thunking :wacko:
There's usually someone on these boards who makes an attempt to explain it, but it appears that incentivising climate change just before hosting a climate change summit defies explanations.

Archie_tect

B-in-L just back from a break in Dundee where a Saudi delegation support team has just taken 3 floors [!] of the hotel where they stayed for COP26 including a fleet of Mercedes limousines and drivers on stand-by 24 hours a day to take them to Glasgow [77 mile journey taking an average 2 hours each way + traffic delays].

mudsticks

Squire
B-in-L just back from a break in Dundee where a Saudi delegation support team has just taken 3 floors [!] of the hotel where they stayed for COP26 including a fleet of Mercedes limousines and drivers on stand-by 24 hours a day to take them to Glasgow [77 mile journey taking an average 2 hours each way + traffic delays].

This is what we're up against...

Us 'lay about' wastrels with 'nothing better to do' than to go to COP to 'make trouble' at our own expense :wacko:

fozy tornip

fozympotent
Just read this, and thought I'd share it with y'all:

https://www.paulkingsnorth.net/dark-ecology

" Firstly, if I do end up agreeing with him - and with other such critics I have been exploring recently, such as Jacques Ellul and D.H. Lawrence and C.S. Lewis and Ivan Illich - I am going to have to change my life in quite profound ways. Not just in the ways I’ve already changed it (getting rid of my telly, not owning a credit card, avoiding smartphones and e-readers and sat-navs, growing at least some of my own food, learning practical skills, fleeing the city, etc) but properly, deeply."

mudsticks

Squire
Just read this, and thought I'd share it with y'all:

https://www.paulkingsnorth.net/dark-ecology

" Firstly, if I do end up agreeing with him - and with other such critics I have been exploring recently, such as Jacques Ellul and D.H. Lawrence and C.S. Lewis and Ivan Illich - I am going to have to change my life in quite profound ways. Not just in the ways I’ve already changed it (getting rid of my telly, not owning a credit card, avoiding smartphones and e-readers and sat-navs, growing at least some of my own food, learning practical skills, fleeing the city, etc) but properly, deeply."

No no..

Don't flee the city in search of some 'rural idyll..

There are already too many over capitalised under skilled folks trying to do that.
Who then commute back into the cities for work or pleasure..

Pushing up the rent and price of land beyond the reach of those who do have the skills already.

But who don't have the capital.
Because they've been working in underpaid landwork, to acquire those skills.

Stay in the cities, the town's, the burbs, the greenbelt even.

They are energy efficient places for many.people to live, together in community.

But make those better places for congenial living.
Grow food and resilience, there..

The internet and technology are not inherently evil.

It's what a man does with it, not the tool itself.

Even a scythe can cut you badly if used incorrectly..

Edited to add, actually it'd be great if people do want to come out here and actually learn and work, and be part of it all...

But not the flippin 'usual suspects' for a change eh??:angel:

Anyhow, I must awar to pack my portmanteau*

And prepare to sally north.

Wish me luck, or wish me trouble..
Depending on your pov :hello:

*Backpack really..but y know..:rolleyes:

Last edited:

mudsticks

Squire
If anyone in the area isnt yet signed up to this , but would be willing to host an attendee , it could just be 'camping' on your floor then please do sign up.

Especially if you happen to be on a handy bus or by train route, for Glasgow .

It's not too late.

The main 'civil society' events take place over the middle weekend, so there will still be people waiting to hear if they can be accommodated.

Thankyou :smile:

https://cop26coalition.org/coming-to-cop26/homestay-network/

The conference has already been good for the environmentally friendly pastime of plane spotting.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-59114688

A few nice 'cops' there for the reggie collectors.

It was plane spotting and needing to cycle to Leeds Bradford Airport that started me getting more serious bikes than the seventies shopper thing I had at age 14. Most fellow spotters cycled too.

Archie_tect

If anyone in the area isnt yet signed up to this , but would be willing to host an attendee , it could just be 'camping' on your floor then please do sign up.

Especially if you happen to be on a handy bus or by train route, for Glasgow .

It's not too late.

The main 'civil society' events take place over the middle weekend, so there will still be people waiting to hear if they can be accommodated.

Thankyou :smile:

https://cop26coalition.org/coming-to-cop26/homestay-network/
Friend in Partick so will check if she isn't already doing it.

purpan

No no..

Don't flee the city in search of some 'rural idyll..

There are already too many over capitalised under skilled folks trying to do that.
Who then commute back into the cities for work or pleasure..

Pushing up the rent and price of land beyond the reach of those who do have the skills already.

But who don't have the capital.
Because they've been working in underpaid landwork, to acquire those skills.

Stay in the cities, the town's, the burbs, the greenbelt even.

They are energy efficient places for many.people to live, together in community.

But make those better places for congenial living.
Grow food and resilience, there..

The internet and technology are not inherently evil.

It's what a man does with it, not the tool itself.

Even a scythe can cut you badly if used incorrectly..

Edited to add, actually it'd be great if people do want to come out here and actually learn and work, and be part of it all...

But not the flippin 'usual suspects' for a change eh??:angel:

Anyhow, I must awar to pack my portmanteau*

And prepare to sally north.

Wish me luck, or wish me trouble..
Depending on your pov :hello:

*Backpack really..but y know..:rolleyes:
Hmm. This reads a bit like a rural Priti Patel…

mjr

The conference has already been good for the environmentally friendly pastime of plane spotting.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-59114688
Not news. Everyone already knew that the sustainable travel infrastructure was not sufficient for all these delegates and their equipment to arrive in Glasgow in such a short period of time.

Even if some of them came from G20 together by train, the usual suspects would be whining about how it's not an option for plebs and the disruption to scheduled transport, even if the train caused no disruption by running in slots/paths normally used by charter trains or freed up by the reduced covid crisis timetable still in operation.

The more important question is how many of the people travelling on those planes will act to reduce the scale of this plane stupid fact at future meetings... which is basically the title of this thread. Let's see what happens next!

mudsticks

Squire
Hmm. This reads a bit like a rural Priti Patel…

Not really ^_^ it's a bit more complicated than that.

We need more diversity, youth, and initiative.

And a bit less 'aspirational capital' out here, and in land based work in general.

A lot of the former is blocked by the latter .

But maybe a discussion for another time..

@Archie_tect could probs expand .

Pale Rider

Veteran
Not news. Everyone already knew that the sustainable travel infrastructure was not sufficient for all these delegates and their equipment to arrive in Glasgow in such a short period of time.

Even if some of them came from G20 together by train, the usual suspects would be whining about how it's not an option for plebs and the disruption to scheduled transport, even if the train caused no disruption by running in slots/paths normally used by charter trains or freed up by the reduced covid crisis timetable still in operation.

The more important question is how many of the people travelling on those planes will act to reduce the scale of this plane stupid fact at future meetings... which is basically the title of this thread. Let's see what happens next!

It is news, unless you knew in advance there would be lots of interesting planes for spotters to see at Prestwick.

Even then you couldn't get any pics beforehand.

I suppose the story was always a possibility, although the foreign delegates may have landed at other airports and travelled to Glasgow by some other means.

Presumably some have.

I've not seen any pics from Glasgow of Airforce One, so I'm guessing that landed elsewhere.

mjr

It is news, unless you knew in advance there would be lots of interesting planes for spotters to see at Prestwick.
Everybody guessed that, didn't they? Isn't that why a higher than usual number of spotters were there? And the not-news crews?

I suppose the story was always a possibility, although the foreign delegates may have landed at other airports and travelled to Glasgow by some other means.

Presumably some have.
Some have, as this news report confirms some have been delayed by the Northamptonshire tornado: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-59110091

Of course, if any private planes were delayed, we are unlikely to know...

Top Bottom