District elections

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Why is it so many of you staunch lefties live in Tory areas, is it because they are nicer places to live or nicer people?

We fetched up here because we wanted to be as accessible as we could be to our respective parents in the Potteries and Leeds but in a place where my London based career options were viable as a daily commute. The politics of the local MP wasn't any part of the calculation.

FWIW we'd have had a Labour MP after 1997had boundary changes not moved us from Northampton South to Daventry.

Why did you end up living where you do?

bobzmyunkle

The best governments have been centerist
The mythical centre. Is that left or right of Ted Heath?

D

Deleted member 28

Why did you end up living where you do?

Born and bred here but moved to the 'nice part ' because it's nicer.

Wolverhampton is almost always a Labour led Council but not where I live thankfully.

bobzmyunkle

Civic duty time. Don't forget the photo id. Blue Brexit passport - will it make me come over all gammony when I get in that booth?

1683186803091.jpeg

icowden

Legendary Member
Why is it so many of you staunch lefties live in Tory areas, is it because they are nicer places to live or nicer people?
It's called happenstance or chance.

I moved to that there London (Wandsworth) to go to University. Met my wife thereafter. When we looked for somewhere to live we found a fairly awful repossessed 2 bed flat in Walton for £100k which was perfect as a fixer-upper. We fixed it up and sold it for £160k and bought a house in Walton for £240k. We fixed that up and sold it for £350k and bought our current house eleven years ago for £410k. It's now worth double that.

We had looked in Farnham (con) and Fleet (Con) and ended up in Walton (Con). It's almost as if quite a lot of the south east is conservative held, which may be something to do with its proximity to that there London, and the fact that there are a lot of nice big houses which you can afford if you are the wealthy type. If you are wealthy, you tend to vote Conservative so that you stay wealthy.

We could have moved elsewhere but my wife likes to be close to her family who at the time were living in Kingston and whom now live in Walton although the in laws have now retired to the New Forest (but still pop back to Walton regularly).

All uphill

I'm intrigued for example why Mr private school with a 2k mortgage doesn't live amongst the great unwashed in a Labour controlled area, oh wait its probably not really that nice.

Fookin hypocrits every single one of you, slate the Tories yet live in the very towns and villages you spend all your time moaning about.

I live in a nice area because I was lucky to get a good education and have good employment opportunities.

I decry Tory policies that seek to deny other people similar education and opportunities.

Geddit?

The Crofted Crest

We live where we live because it's a nice town, slap bang in the centre of Holland. The coucil is currently a coalition of D66 (vanilla centrists), Christian Democrats, the Greens (hawk, spit), Christian Union and the Animal Rights Party (glad my vote wasn't wasted). No tighty, righty parties here, thank you. Make of that what you will.

D

Deleted member 28

I live in a nice area because I was lucky to get a good education and have good employment opportunities.

I decry Tory policies that seek to deny other people similar education and opportunities.

Geddit?

I do 'geddit' (so much for your good education) however, have you chosen to live in a nice, probably Tory run council surrounded by Tory voters or are you in the bowels of an immigrant infested, run down Labour controlled area?

ebikeerwidnes

I suggest that over the next few years - i.e. before the next local elections - you send a few questions about local stuff to your counsellors and see how/if they respond
I have had some that respond and even expand the response into other related areas just in case I am interested
a couple of others don;t seem to bother

The one who has responded recently is the one on the ballot - so that is at least one good point about him

Otherwise all you have to go on is maybe one leaflet!

Reactions: C R

icowden

Legendary Member
I do 'geddit' (so much for your good education) however, have you chosen to live in a nice, probably Tory run council surrounded by Tory voters or are you in the bowels of an immigrant infested, run down Labour controlled area?
Why are these things mutually exclusive in your head?

My area hosts both multimillionaires and many immigrants (particularly Ukrainian and Polish). We have housing estates and private estates. Our high street is starting to look like a massive vacant retail lot after a zombie apocalypse thanks to the controlling company that own it siphoning off all the cash (It was a conservative initiative to sell it to a private developer).

Our council has been Tory run, but not for the last few years. Make of that what you will.

Addendum: You do realise that the Conservative government have been deliberately directing cash to areas where they have support? So is it any wonder that labour controlled areas are getting more run down?

Last edited:

All uphill

I am in a currently Lib Dem area, made pleasant by years of centrist/Liberal policies.

A recent period of Tory rule saw the rapid erosion of what makes it a pleasant place in the name of reducing taxes.

• Sad
Reactions: C R
Top Bottom