District elections

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

icowden

Legendary Member
I cannot bring myself to mark more than a single X. What would you do? (it's too late to stand).
Vote for the two you think are most likely to be active and positive in their roles. Try and find out which of them actually want to do this to make a difference and forget about party politics.

Local councillors have nothing to do with the lunatics in central government. Obviously they have to hang out with the MP or candidate for MP, but I try not to hold that against them.

In my area we have three people standing. Lib Dem, Conservative and Labour. The Labour lady has a snowballs chance in hell of being elected (although it will be interesting to see how she does). So that leaves the other two. The conservative is a 23 year old local lady who is a Parliamentary Assistant (Con). She appears to have gone straight into politics from Uni. Unfortunately for her, her predecessor Alan Kopitko was literally kicked out of the local Cons in favour of parachuting in the ingénue. He wasn't happy - and he wasn't the only one. It seems that 3 of the older conservative councillors weren't licking Raab's backside enough and were kicked out in favour of fawning yoof.

View: https://twitter.com/cllralankopitko/status/1519101131640684545?s=20

So, do I vote for the youngster with no real world experience, and who has been given a somewhat poisoned chalice, or for the Lib Dem?
At the moment I cannot in all conscience vote for the Tory.

Last edited:

bobzmyunkle

At the moment I cannot in all conscience vote for the Tory.
????? worrying

icowden

Legendary Member
????? worrying

How so? We used to have a very good Conservative led local council. We have also (arguably) had some decent Conservative governments.
Not any more.

What we really need is a reset of democracy. Proper proportional representation rather than FPTP. Then everyone's vote counts.

D

Deleted member 28

Why is it so many of you staunch lefties live in Tory areas, is it because they are nicer places to live or nicer people?

I'm intrigued for example why Mr private school with a 2k mortgage doesn't live amongst the great unwashed in a Labour controlled area, oh wait its probably not really that nice.

Fookin hypocrits every single one of you, slate the Tories yet live in the very towns and villages you spend all your time moaning about.

AndyRM

Elder Goth
Why is it so many of you staunch lefties live in Tory areas, is it because they are nicer places to live or nicer people?

I'm intrigued for example why Mr private school with a 2k mortgage doesn't live amongst the great unwashed in a Labour controlled area, oh wait its probably not really that nice.

Fookin hypocrits every single one of you, slate the Tories yet live in the very towns and villages you spend all your time moaning about.

I live in North Shields, does that mean I can slate the Tories with impunity?

D

Deleted member 121

I live in a conservative area because i can buy Mr Brains Faggots, which i love, without having to explain why they are called faggots... Does there really need to be another reason?

icowden

Legendary Member
I'm intrigued for example why Mr private school with a 2k mortgage doesn't live amongst the great unwashed in a Labour controlled area, oh wait its probably not really that nice
I'm intrigued as to why you think I'm a "leftie". You do realise that the majority of the country is not left wing or right wing, but liberal?
I have no interest in the current government which is selfish and venal. Nor would I support a Corbynista government hell bent on raising taxes to the maximum.

We need a liberal coalition. The best governments have been centerist.

D

Deleted member 121

I'm intrigued as to why you think I'm a "leftie". You do realise that the majority of the country is not left wing or right wing, but liberal?
I have no interest in the current government which is selfish and venal. Nor would I support a Corbynista government hell bent on raising taxes to the maximum.

We need a liberal coalition. The best governments have been centerist.

We need a Government that taxes everybody else but me...

stowie

I live in the 16th safest Labour seat in the country. Frankly, I am surprised it is that low down the list. Last election the Labour majority was 30k. The Tories fielded a candidate who is a councilor (and lives) in Buckinhamshire such is their lack of interest in even trying to contest the seat.

Am I allowed to slate the Tories?

Top Bottom