F*ck the Tories: a Thread Dedicated to Suella Braverman

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

matticus

Guru
Invasion and other rhetoric from Ms Braverman is clear enough. FWIW some reports suggest 'swarm' or 'swarms' was David Cameron.

OK, thank-you. So, I think ...

The Home Office attempts to spin and censor this discussion are bizarre, and make them look idiotic (and quite possibly have made Suella look worse).
She seems to have some amazing cognitive dissonance to celebrate the welcome her parents were given, whilst holding this strong desire to pull up the ladder for current/future immigrants.

The speech by Ms Salter doesn't really highlight any specific language used by Braverman that links her to Nazi propaganda; if the only connecting word in common is "invasion", the narrative doesn't connect up. The jews weren't invading anyone. Persecuting peoples - in the manner of the Holocaust - who are already living amongst you, seems quite different from stopping a "swarm" of boat-people across the Channel.
In terms of attacking the general rhetoric and policies of Braverman, she has my backing!

n.b. I still have that coat on, so flame away ...

The jews weren't invading anyone.

Some U.K. politicians and media at the time characterised Jewish refugees as an invasion on our shores. That’s the echo you are failing to hear, I think.

matticus

Guru
Some U.K. politicians and media at the time characterised Jewish refugees as an invasion on our shores. That’s the echo you are failing to hear, I think.

Perhaps because it's the language of the NAZIS that is being cited in the discussion so far.
"Salter, who has been recognised with an MBE for her work on Holocaust education, likened Braverman’s rhetoric on migrants attempting to cross the Channel to that used by the Nazis during the second world war.
“In 1943, I was forced to flee my birthplace in Belgium and went across war-torn Europe and dangerous seas until I finally was able to come to the UK in 1947."
"
( I'm aware of opposition in the US as well as the UK to jewish refugees at the time; if that's the "echo" folks want to highlight, it would be helpful to actually say so! )

Perhaps because it's the language of the NAZIS that is being cited in the discussion so far.
"Salter, who has been recognised with an MBE for her work on Holocaust education, likened Braverman’s rhetoric on migrants attempting to cross the Channel to that used by the Nazis during the second world war."

( I'm aware of opposition in the US as well as the UK to jewish refugees at the time; if that's the "echo" folks want to highlight, it would be helpful to actually say so! )

Will you tell her she got it wrong or shall I?

matticus

Guru
I thought the reaction here would have a little more bite than this; perhaps the flameproof coat wasn't needed? Should have just stuck with my usual protective goggles.

Nevertheless, it has illustrated the binary approach NACA folk take to just about any topic under consideration. Honestly, you're like the Nazi party sometimes ...

Be my guest!

(I'm not saying anything she said is wrong, be a dear and read what I actually wrote. x)

You don’t think the fellow travellers and supporters and media barons in the U.K. were Nazis? I mean, most may not have had membership cards and uniforms and such, but they were still Nazis, weren’t they?

matticus

Guru
You don’t think the fellow travellers and supporters and media barons in the U.K. were Nazis? I mean, most may not have had membership cards and uniforms and such, but they were still Nazis, weren’t they?

This is a trick isn't it. A bit like the Everyone Is Racist thing?

This is a trick isn't it. A bit like the Everyone Is Racist thing?

Not really, no.

Unless I’ve misread you, your point is that it wasn’t the German Nazis calling Jewish refugees an invasion so Braverman was at liberty to use the word. Is that right?

OP
OP
Bromptonaut

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
The jews weren't invading anyone. Persecuting peoples - in the manner of the Holocaust - who are already living amongst you, seems quite different from stopping a "swarm" of boat-people across the Channel.

I suspect the language used against the Jews as analagous though; parasites living off our society etc.

Reactions: C R

theclaud

Reading around the chip
Blunkett was also quite keen on swarms and tides and suchlike, IIRC. We are reading the consequences of decades of hostile and punitive anti-immigrant rhetoric.

*reaping, obvs. Shall we plead for a longer edit window??

• Hugs
Reactions: C R

stowie

Is this really all about the words "invasion" and "swarm"? I cannot find her original comments, but others have said "swarm" was a word used by a different Tory.

<dons NACA-tested flameproof coat ... >

I was repeating what was reported in the Grunaid. The word "swarm" might have been attributed to her but from another Tory.

She was called out on her use of language rather than particular policies. I think this is important. Her language is designed to dehumanise and this is a dangerous path to go down.

https://www.theguardian.com/technol...line-safety-measures-after-backbench-pressure

Under a further change to the bill, video footage that shows people crossing the Channel in small boats in a “positive light” will be added to a list of illegal content that all tech platforms must proactively prevent from reaching users.

Donelan said posting positive videos of crossings could be aiding and abetting immigration offences. Natalie Elphicke, the Conservative MP for Dover, had originally tabled an amendment proposing the change.

WTAF?

Top Bottom