F*ck the Tories: a Thread Dedicated to Suella Braverman

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
In the "staying classy" section of Suella Braverman's career, she got called out on her language by an 83 year old Holocaust survivor. Who also got a MBE for her work on Holocaust education.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...ocaust-survivor-for-calling-migrants-invasion

When challenged on her rhetoric around immigrants and refugees, Braverman refused to apologise but fell back on the well used line that her parents were immigrants. The relevancy of this fact to Braverman's use of language seems to elude me. Using rhetoric that could even be challenged in this way when you are Home Secretary shows how totally unfit she is for any position of power.

Edit : Full video can be found at

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mO5bSZ8CuuY&t=134s

The full video is worse than the clip that initially circulated because you hear Braverman being cheered and clapped by her audience.

The operator of the official Home Office Twitter account got involved, asking for the clip to be taken down, another example of a government department blurring the line between doing their actual job and supporting individual politicians. I’d like to think they at least did so reluctantly having been bullied, but who knows?

C R

Über Member
The full video is worse than the clip that initially circulated because you hear Braverman being cheered and clapped by her audience.

The operator of the official Home Office Twitter account got involved, asking for the clip to be taken down, another example of a government department blurring the line between doing their actual job and supporting individual politicians. I’d like to think they at least did so reluctantly having been bullied, but who knows?
To me the reaction of the audience is the scary part. I've been told before that I'm exaggerating, but this is how Germany was in the late 20s and early 30s, and I'm concerned that we have gone beyond the point of no return.

stowie

Yes, I think the "edited out of context" argument put forward by the HO was.... ambitious.

The full clip is worse in my view - Braverman tried to deflect by talking about her parents immigration to the UK, as if that would somehow afford her the right to use words like "invasion" and "swarms" to describe people.

Reactions: C R

stowie

In other Suella news....

Suella Braverman plans to ditch key Windrush pledges.

Of course she does. One of the worst scandals in a department plagued with scandals and her course of action would be to ignore the recommendations of the report.

To recap, these were UK citizens that had their lives turned upside down due to government mendacity and incompetence. Some were unable to return to the UK for the rest of their lives having been wrongly deported. Many others lost their jobs, homes and denied medical benefits. So far the compensation and hardship schemes put in place for these victims had paid out a small fraction of money allocated. Suella Braverman clearly has no intention of doing anything other than trying to obstruct.

glasgowcyclist

Über Member
the official Home Office Twitter account got involved, asking for the clip to be taken down

It was interesting that they complained that the video was edited and therefore out of context but asked for its removal rather than asking for the full video to replace it.

It’s clear they simply don’t want Braverman’s views being circulated.

(And what’s a government account doing interfering in what an MP said at a local constituency event?)

matticus

Guru
Is this really all about the words "invasion" and "swarm"? I cannot find her original comments, but others have said "swarm" was a word used by a different Tory.

<dons NACA-tested flameproof coat ... >

OP
OP
Bromptonaut

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
It's about the words she's used, whatever they are, and their effect on public discourse.

The constituent who asked the question and brought this to light was interviewed on Times Radio this morning. Very impressive account of the meeting including a constituent fulminating against the RNLI for rescuing these people.

C R

Über Member
Is this really all about the words "invasion" and "swarm"? I cannot find her original comments, but others have said "swarm" was a word used by a different Tory.

<dons NACA-tested flameproof coat ... >

I believe that the correct term is asbestos pants.

Ian H

Guru
Is this the final answer? It's quite a shift from one specific word to: "the words she's used".

As a matter of interest, what form of words would render Braverman's policies towards immigrants, including Windrush people, acceptable to you?

ebikeerwidnes

sometimes I wonder if certain cabinet ministers are put in place because of their race just so they can come up with polices which discriminate against non white groups and claim that it is OK because their relatives came over here

after all - you can't be racist if you are [enter ethnic group here]

Maybe they need to look for a suitable Irish MP to become NI minister and sort out the NI issue???

Top Bottom