Gender again. Sorry!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Veteran
Described as wearing pink shorts. Had me thinking of what, in the seventies, we called hot pants..

Judging by the photographs they were trousers that were down to the knee.

My OH would call them pedal pushers but I suppose the idea of a man in pink 'hot pants' sells more papers.

Mail and Telegraph reports were, word/word identical so presumably syndicated from the local rag??

The pic credit gives you the best clue - Daily Echo/Solent News.

The original story looks like a joint production between the Southampton Daily Echo and the Solent News news agency - the latter may have taken the pic.

Solent News then flog the package to the nationals.

icowden

Legendary Member
Mail and Telegraph reports were, word/word identical so presumably syndicated from the local rag??
I think syndication usually works the other way around. It's likely to be an agency like Reuters but then spun exactly the same way. Or the same non-staff journo has pitched the article to both papers.

Personally I think a better thrust is to look at *why* he has suddenly become a "she", why this seems to keep happening during the trial period on remand and whether there are safeguarding issues. Is it a pitch to get into a women's prison if jailed, or is it a "I didn't mean it, look I'm clearly mad as a box of frogs me" thing?

Last edited:

AndyRM

Elder Goth
Stories like Dominic/Sophie really annoy me. No genuine attempt at transitioning has been made, so for me it doesn't add anything constructive to the discussion. It's just taking the piss all around.

The Canadian cricketer is more interesting as I find the debate around sport more nuanced, sometimes. Tried to find some stats, but beyond one invitational match couldn't find anything.

Shane Warne in eyeliner made me laugh though, a poor cricketing comparison.

CXRAndy

Guru
Personally I think a better thrust is to look at *why* he has suddenly become a "she", why this seems to keep happening during the trial period on remand and whether there are safeguarding issues.

Exactly, criminals are using it as a mitigation rouse to lesser punishment, access or belief in getting access into women's space/prison.

It clearly shows the whole idea of being able to self identify, is a mockery.

For the genuine, disphoria sufferers, destroys their case.

icowden

Legendary Member
Stories like Dominic/Sophie really annoy me. No genuine attempt at transitioning has been made, so for me it doesn't add anything constructive to the discussion. It's just taking the piss all around.
For once we agree :-)
The Canadian cricketer is more interesting as I find the debate around sport more nuanced, sometimes. Tried to find some stats, but beyond one invitational match couldn't find anything.
It's going to be difficult due to the limited number of transwomen in high level cricket. The question (as always) is does that team have a material advantage. I have seen some discussion about the fact that a male bowler on average chucks the ball 20mph faster at the batsperson. However this trans cricketer is a batsperson not a bowler. The main impact, presumably will be greater residual strength which would make it easier for them to achieve 4s and 6s (given that women's matches have smaller boundaries) than a comparable woman.

There is a study here:-
https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/02640414.2021.1934289

Skilled male cricket batters generated greater maximum bat speeds, ball launch speeds, and ball carry distances than their female counterparts. After controlling for the effects of body mass and height, male batters had greater pelvis-thorax separation in the transverse plane at the commencement of the downswing and extended their lead elbows during the downswing more than female batters. These two a priori kinematic hypotheses were therefore supported. However, there was no effect of gender on the magnitude of wrist uncocking during the downswing.

However it is important to note that no conclusion was drawn as to whether that would confer an unfair advantage and the study was not looking at transwomen at all, just gender differences.

CXRAndy

Guru
The Canadian cricketer is more interesting as I find the debate around sport more nuanced

It's clear. Boys who have gone through puberty, have superior strength, speed, endurance and explosive power.

Williams sisters have publicly said they would not want to play men. Because they would be trounced.

Cricket is no different, a man will be able to smash the slower paced women bowlers all around the park. I would expect capable of hitting 4s and 6s far more readily

CXRAndy

Guru
Was he now? I had no idea. I must have missed him emigrating and transitioning.

I suspect he's an average male cricketer and in Australia that's means only playing lower league games

AndyRM

Elder Goth
It's clear. Boys who have gone through puberty, have superior strength, speed, endurance and explosive power.

Williams sisters have publicly said they would not want to play men. Because they would be trounced.

Cricket is no different, a man will be able to smash the slower paced women bowlers all around the park. I would expect capable of hitting 4s and 6s far more readily

It's not clear at all, unless you put things in such absolutes. You can bang on all you like about male vs female puberty, and what effects that has on the body, but once you start altering things chemically the game changes.

Taking gender out of it. Physiology is a huge spectrum and not easy to define IMO.

Discussion on women vs men attainment in cricket, from long before trans inclusion was much of an issue:

https://www.thecricketmonthly.com/story/1104475/how-far-can-women-s-cricket-go

It acknowledges that cultural factors have limited progress in the women's game, ie boys play more sport generally and for longer, but it seems unlikely that, all other things like coaching and funding being equal, women will attain the bowling speeds and striking levels of the men's game.

Lowering testosterone as an adult does not mitigate the residual advantages of male puberty.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.da...reignites-row-allowed-play-womens-sports.html

I know, but this is self ID. Either every man who says he is a woman is a woman or none of them are. You can't base access to women's single sex spaces and services, sports, prisons, on whether they have made a 'genuine attempt'. Women's spaces aren't rewards for men who have made a bit of an effort.

Is it a pitch to get into a women's prison if jailed, or is it a "I didn't mean it, look I'm clearly mad as a box of frogs me" thing?

Possibly, but that ship has sailed a bit so possibly hoping for the vulnerable prisoner wing? Either way, prison or suspended sentence is not much good without getting them on a course to address their offending and stop it escalating.

As it was under his quote, it was clearly a reply to Andy's reference to the offender in the child abuse images conviction, not the Canadian cricketer.

CXRAndy

Guru
It's not clear at all, unless you put things in such absolutes. You can bang on all you like about male vs female puberty, and what effects that has on the body, but once you start altering things chemically the game changes.

Taking gender out of it. Physiology is a huge spectrum and not easy to define IMO.

No that puberty change is locked in.

That's why world athletics, swimming, rowing, have banned men in women's sport.

To put into context. 14 year old boys have the ability to beat the world's best women in athletics.

Scientists have at last not kowtowed to trans ideology, banned men from women events. With more and more outcry from the general public, men will be banned from all women's sports

AndyRM

Elder Goth
No that puberty change is locked in.

That's why world athletics, swimming, rowing, have banned men in women's sport.

To put into context. 14 year old boys have the ability to beat the world's best women in athletics.

Scientists have at last not kowtowed to trans ideology, banned men from women events. With more and more outcry from the general public, men will be banned from all women's sports

I assume you're referring to the FC Dallas U15 side beating the US Ladies team in a kickabout? Or is there something else?

Top Bottom