Gender again. Sorry!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

monkers

Legendary Member
Women is a group. Trans women, Cis Women are subsets of Woman based on the concept that people can change gender.
Humans are a group. Black humans, brown humans and white humans are subsets of human based on skin colour

Nonsense. You've allowed Aurora and CXR to start living rent-free in your head.

icowden

Legendary Member
Nonsense. You've allowed Aurora and CXR to start living rent-free in your head.

Which part of what I posted was nonsense and why? If you want to challenge what is a fairly straight forward assertion, you need to provide reasoning.

Or are you now saying that transwomen are not women and thus shouldn't be considered a subset of women?

monkers

Legendary Member
Which part of what I posted was nonsense and why? If you want to challenge what is a fairly straight forward assertion, you need to provide reasoning.

Male and female pertain to sex. Man, woman, boy, and girl pertain to gender identity, or perceived gender identity. Scientists say that sex is not binary but bimodal. Gender identity can manifest itself in a number of ways including 'non-binary'.

The Gender Recognition Act provides the mechanism for those people to apply to the state to have their gender identity recognised.

Given this, the terms 'trans women' and cis women are subsets of the gender identity of people as recognised by the state. Those people who feel that they are non-binary or some other which outside of the binary are not accommodated by the Act (that is to say, the state).

AS argues that trans women make cis women a subset of their own sex. This is not so. It would be a reasonable argument to say that trans women and cis women are subsets of women on the basis of gender identity, which I happen to think they are.

And so your argument that you have borrowed from the GCs fails in reasoning for the reason I've given above, but it doesn't rest there, since GCs say that gender identity does not exist. Therefore it leads to the conclusion that 'women' is a class of people that includes all people with the gender identity of being a woman, and excludes all those who do not have the gender identity of a woman. Therefore Aurora Saab is not a technically a woman; but to be clear she is female and free to identify however she wishes, including being a 'woman'.

Addendum ... see posts by @Newhouse for those ill-conceived remarks of yours about skin colour.

Last edited:

classic33

Maybe I'm just old enough to remember it being polite. Has Ascot renamed "Ladies Day" to "Women's Day" yet? Or would that still not be inclusive enough?

Anyway, apologies to any Ladies that I might have offended by being polite.
It's proper name is Gold Cup Day, not "Ladies Day".

It became "Ladies Day" in 1823/1826 when women were given tickets previously only given to men.

CXRAndy

Guru
The anabolic and androgenic sex hormone testosterone has been positively associated with aggression. Therefore, transgender men are warned of increasing aggression when initiating testosterone therapy

Quite. I pass for white, although I tan well. Which of my heritages should I be allowed to identify as?

Any which you genuinely are. Should I be allowed to identify as one of your heritages, even if I aren't one of them? Especially when doing so has implications for the people who are of that heritage?

monkers

Legendary Member
The anabolic and androgenic sex hormone testosterone has been positively associated with aggression. Therefore, transgender men are warned of increasing aggression when initiating testosterone therapy

If you believe that this demonstrates that anyone with testosterone is aggressive, and that anyone without testosterone can not be, then that is an error.

Perhaps read up on the side effects of using supplementary testosterone?

monkers

Legendary Member
Any which you genuinely are. Should I be allowed to identify as one of your heritages, even if I aren't one of them? Especially when doing so has implications for the people who are of that heritage?

And the craziness continues.

... ''no. no, where are really from?''

Male and female pertain to sex. Man, woman, boy, and girl pertain to gender identity, or perceived gender identity. Scientists say that sex is not binary but bimodal.

No, they don't. I note you've dropped the 'sex is a spectrum' phrase nonsense but the effect is the same. If you think sex is bimodal then you have the implication that some males are more male than others and some females are more female than others. Which simply isn't true. The least 'manly' male (by whatever metric) is as male as the most manly.

AS argues that trans women make cis women a subset of their own sex. This is not so. It would be a reasonable argument to say that trans women and cis women are subsets of women on the basis of gender identity, which I happen to think they are.
You can only include transwomen in the sex class of Women by using linguistic gymnastics which redefine what the word Woman means.
In which case anything can be redefined to mean anything ...

Therefore it leads to the conclusion that 'women' is a class of people that includes all people with the gender identity of being a woman, and excludes all those who do not have the gender identity of a woman.
No, it very obviously doesn't. The conclusion of saying innate gender identity doesn't exist is that sex is a biological category, which you can't opt in and out of at will. Which doesn't matter 99% of the time, but when it does matter it often matters very much.

monkers

Legendary Member
In that case, I look forward to publishing a book and having it considered for the Coretta Scott King prize, or having my achievements recognised at the Asian Achievers awards.

More irrational twaddle.

You've gone through a process of trying to prove that gender identity is binary by using skin colour as a proof of the existence of a binary. This against your denial that gender identity can not exist on the evidence that you have no sense of your own, and trying to force that view with something which everybody knows is not a binary. My father was blind but he'd laugh at the stupidity of this argument. Next you'll be claiming that sight is binary too, everyone sees either everything or nothing.

Last edited:

I don't mind, for most purposes, how you choose to identify. I'm not precious about it.

There may be a few unusual and limited circumstances where your choice might make me wonder about possible harm. I guess context and intent would be relevant to any assessment I may need to make.

I don't mind, for most purposes, how you choose to identify. I'm not precious about it.
99% of the time it doesn't matter how someone identifies, I agree.
There may be a few unusual and limited circumstances where your choice might make me wonder about possible harm. I guess context and intent would be relevant to any assessment I may need to make.
Which is pretty much what people are asking for. Take sex into account when it matters, otherwise treat everybody the same. I wouldn't call sports, prisons, intimate care providers, domestic violence refuges unusual circumstances though, just part of the few but important ones where sex matters. (Which is exactly what the Equality Act says).

Edited for clarity.

Top Bottom