General Election 2024....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

icowden

Legendary Member
There is something to be said for not having a phone during school. I accept they're a useful tool.
My youngest has gone on a school trip to Ecuador this week for a month. They were asked not to take phones, to instill a sense of self reliance away from parents.
It's also because it encourages homesickness and prevents the staff from controlling the trip if they are firefighting messages from "little Johnny's dad about what happened in the canteen last night".

The only exceptions are children like my youngest who use a phone as a medical device to measure their blood glucose. Although that does get complicated around GCSE moderation. She will get extra time, but it has taken a bit of educating the school that she needs to have the phone within 2 to 3m of her or the alarm will go off, and that someone needs to check the phone - or the alarm will go off if she goes high or low, and without the phone or her smartwatch she won't know if is going low until she has gone low, at which point it can take up to 30 mins to get her blood glucose back to a point where she can think again. They are now looking into a separate room for her!

Last edited:

AndyRM

Elder Goth
Can someone tell me what DIE means?

@CXRAndy has used it a few times recently and I still have no idea what it is?

Have I missed something?

He means DEI - Diversity, equity* and inclusion...

*Equality in the UK. This started in the US.

Last edited:

AndyRM

Elder Goth
It's been rearranged into an acronym that makes it sound more scary.

web-lead_20223.jpg

All uphill

No, of course not, but it's moronic to inculcate this, which is what you said was a good thing and what icowden admitted was a mindset encouraged by public schools, and the consequences of which are all too clear in British Politics, with recent Tory governments being especially egregious examples:

to teach and reinforce the belief that there is nothing you cannot achieve, regardless of how talented or talentless you are, and to never consider the possibility of failure.

I think one is allowed to fail, but you must quickly and convincingly argue that is someone else's failure, not yours.

albion

Guru
The interesting thing about Reform is that merging with the Tory Party is no go, at least while Farage is there
Whilst Johnson was the unwitting Telegraph Brexit tool, it was opportunist Farage who provoked it.

Tories will thus blame Farage for their doom. I suppose it is good that it might bring on PPR to give the now, two halves of the right, a chance of power in the distant future.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Society needs a reset, be proud to want to be best, be better. It's all mediocrity now, quota for DIE.

I don't care if a profession is all black, white, women or male. I want the best person/s doing that job.

That doesn't answer the question. Are you a Politician by any chance? ;)

Ian H

Legendary Member
Society needs a reset, be proud to want to be best, be better. It's all mediocrity now, quota for DIE.

I don't care if a profession is all black, white, women or male. I want the best person/s doing that job.

Orchestras always insisted that their only measure was the skill of the musician. They had very few female members. Then they went to blind interviews - anonymous applicant behind a screen. The number of women members soon moved to at least parity with men.
What this tells you is that prejudice is not always intentional or even conscious. Hence the need for mitigations.

glasgowcyclist

Über Member
and destroying their confidence

Most teachers I had were reasonably good, a couple were excellent and several were absolute shitbags.

My brother (who attended the same school as me) was always clever and studious but at a certain point he had difficulty in an area of mathematics. His teacher was a lazy sod who couldn’t be arsed addressing the problem, so instead he told my brother to forget maths as he’d never get the hang of it, or amount to anything!

After leaving school, he went on to get his doctorate in maths. Up yours Mr Inglis 🖕

Top Bottom