General Election 2024....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 159

If I have to pay more tax and the country improves, then that’s fantastic for everyone.

If it doesn’t improve, then Labour get voted out in 5 years, but let’s give them a chance. After all we are already all paying more tax under the old Tory regime.

That's is a totally fair comment. If you voted for labour knowing it could possibly burn a big hole in your pocket.

Interesting to watch at what level the pain threshold becomes unbearable re financial grab

matticus

Guru
At least he's got the right skin colour and real experience dealing with towelheads.

Can't we call them ragheads any more? I missed that memo ...

icowden

Legendary Member
That's is a totally fair comment. If you voted for labour knowing it could possibly burn a big hole in your pocket.
Interesting to watch at what level the pain threshold becomes unbearable re financial grab
I don't think they'll be grabbing much as the Tories already grabbed it all.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
I don't think they'll be grabbing much as the Tories already grabbed it all.

Oh, I don't know about that, plenty more to extract... scrap tax free ISA income, capital gains on main house sales, increase capital gains tax rate, increase fuel duty, increase Vehicle Excise duty, increase Insurance Premium Tax, increase Council Tax, Road pricing, tax EVs to compensate for lost fuel duty..... They could always get prudent Gordon to help them out, he was a master at dreaming up things to tax.

spen666

Interesting messaging from announcements of new policies/ initiatives

Yesterday announcements about taking some planning decisions away from local authorities to be decided centrally . Effectively moving powers to central government.

Then today
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2024/jul/09/keir-starmer-tony-blair-ai-labour-government-conservatives-uk-politics-latest-news?CMP=share_btn_url&page=with:block-668cec708f08b807e79a6503#block-668cec708f08b807e79a6503

An announcement which appears to be giving more powers to the regions.

Beebo

Veteran
Oh, I don't know about that, plenty more to extract... scrap tax free ISA income, capital gains on main house sales, increase capital gains tax rate, increase fuel duty, increase Vehicle Excise duty, increase Insurance Premium Tax, increase Council Tax, Road pricing, tax EVs to compensate for lost fuel duty..... They could always get prudent Gordon to help them out, he was a master at dreaming up things to tax.

There is no way they will tax your main house, it would be political suicide and would kill the housing market as you could never move upwards.
And I doubt they would touch ISAs.

The others are all possible options. As is a wealth tax.

D

Deleted member 159

They wouldn’t need to do as much of either had the Tories not stuffed their (and all their mates’) pockets full of cash.

Not forgetting Liz ‘The Human Hand Grenade’ Truss wiping a further £30 billion from the public purse in just 49 days during her disastrous tenure as PM.

Its no different to when labour were last in power. They left a letter saying there was no money left- which they were right. Ever since the UK finances have been in the toilet.

albion

Guru
There is no way they will tax your main house, it would be political suicide and would kill the housing market as you could never move upwards.
And I doubt they would touch ISAs.

The others are all possible options. As is a wealth tax.

I doubt a 1% sales tax would make much difference. A progressive tax would be neat. 1% to a certain with 10% or more tax at the top end.
I suppose it could also use the council tax bands for better targeting.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
I doubt a 1% sales tax would make much difference. A progressive tax would be neat. 1% to a certain with 10% or more tax at the top end.
I suppose it could also use the council tax bands for better targeting.

I like that idea, more tax for the affluent south 😊

Reactions: C R

multitool

Its no different to when labour were last in power. They left a letter saying there was no money left- which they were right. Ever since the UK finances have been in the toilet.

Not this bullshît again. Banking crisis caused by dodgy US mortgages. Nothing to do with UK govt...although they had to prop up.the banks.

Only similarity is Covid. Not Tories fault, although Tories used it to enrich their friends. The Tories also gave us Brexit.

Top Bottom