General Election 2024....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Whilst the turn out was generally high there were still 13 million people who didn’t vote.

So less than 40% of the overall electorate actually voted in favour of Brexit.
think they call flawed reasoning to claim a less favorable outcome to the poster is in fact different whilst in reality it only shows the delusions of the poster ''Copium''

While I will always be happy to see a left leaning party in power after the past 14 years I am under no illusion that this is a sign that the country is moving to the left. People just want something different to the shower they have had for all that time. Left or right doesn't come into it that much, as shown by the Sun backing Starmer.
''the left'' so far always showed to be just as good in making the poor pay, they just make other billionaires richer today.

There are just a small number of issues that will be core to the result; prices, NHS and, sadly, immigration, and if Starmer doesn't show the tangible improvements people want to see in those things in the first term, despite his warnings that it will not be a quick solution to our problems, then there may well be a reaction in the future with Reform and its influence on Tory politics growing in strength.
Problem with the likes of Reform is that they are specialized in screaming from the sidelines what is wrong, if Reform ever needs to put their money where their mouth is Farage will f0ck off again just as he did with Ukip.
The issues when Boris was choses where completely different so it's not nessacary the issues but the perception and effectiveness of his policies.

We are not immune to the sort of stuff that is happening in France and other EU countries.
It also didn't came out of the blue either, all the result off ignoring concerns.

I think it's a complex situation. Housing shortages means high rents. Food inflation means expensive food. Poor economic performance means lower tax receipts and political decisions to cut benefit payments instead of raising taxes.

Somewhere in that mix you might have shareholders prioritising their dividends over anything else at the expense of workers welfare.

But ultimately it's a market economy, not a planned one.
You can do one little tweak that would have an massive change 1. change the housing policy to allow only new builds with more then 90% of the offered houses being ''social or affordable'' 2. make a deal with housing associations so they will build said housing if all those build for profit companies like persimon etc. fail.

Don't have top change the market economy for that but if they finally do something like that it will lead to massive changes, if people have to spend less on rents they don't need foodbanks and or rely on benefits to pay(part of) their rents.

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
Lets hope Count Binface does well!

I dunno, there's a chance that Sunak could lose to Labour which, as much as I dislike the current Labour leadership, would be funnier.

spen666

A poll has the Tories scraping a win in Clacton.

Maybe Labour withdrawing their candidate was a plan to stop Farage getting in the Commons.

Is that a sensible idea by Labour ( if it is correct?)If Farage was MP he would be getting publicity for Reform and boosting their profile and ensure in future elections Reform take votes from the Tories.
I would have thought it was helpful to Labour to have Reform doing well

Ian H

Legendary Member
Is that a sensible idea by Labour ( if it is correct?)If Farage was MP he would be getting publicity for Reform and boosting their profile and ensure in future elections Reform take votes from the Tories.

I'd rather like to think that they're thinking beyond narrow party advantage.

multitool

Farage represents a far greater threat to the national well-being than the Tories

Rusty Nails

Country Member

For this election perhaps, but dangerous short-termism if Reform go on to fill the gap left by the Tories.

One of their candidates has called people with autism vegetables. Anything that gives even a modicum of power or encouragement to someone like that is dangerous for the country and drags politics down even further.

Ian H

Legendary Member

View: https://x.com/StreathamRovers/status/1808919993989353752

vote.JPG

deptfordmarmoset

Über Member
Wow. BBC exit poll giving labour 170 majority. And reform 13 seat!

Exit poll suggests Labour has won 410 seats, and the Tories 131​

Clive Myrie is reading out the exit poll.

Conservatives: 131

Labour: 410

Liberal Democrats: 61

SNP: 10

Reform UK: 13

Plaid Cymru: 4

Greens: 2

Top Bottom