Hellhounds

Should there be a ban on breeding, selling and owning XL Bullies?

• Maiming machines with no place in public space - ban them now.

Votes: 8 38.1%
  • It's not the dogs, it's the owners! Here's a pic of my toddler sitting on my harmless land shark.

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • Never mind what kind, dogs in public should be muzzled and on leads.

Votes: 7 33.3%
  • A ban sounds appealing, but it's bad law. I'll explain why and suggest alternatives below.

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • I'd like to see them banned, but I can't bring myself to back Suella Braverman.

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I thought that was what happened when the greyhound caught up...

Fortunately Hare Coursing is illegal in the UK, but sadly that doesn't stop it happening completely....

IIRC at greyhound tracks they still use a fake hare tied to a post... (not sure if the dogs can get at it though)

They do, and the greyhounds can get to it from time to time. Whippet racing uses the same. Lure coursing uses a ripped-up fertiliser bag and the dogs are mad for it!
In all cases dogs wear a muzzle to protect them from each other and protect the lure....they're mad for it!

1705503410228.png

Last edited:

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
If they can't afford the £60 for a certificate they can't afford the £60 that a vet appointment and the cheapest of meds would cost. Or the cost of neutering. Or dog training classes. Or really any of the stuff that would make you a responsible owner.

matticus

Guru
If they can't afford the £60 for a certificate they can't afford the £60 that a vet appointment and the cheapest of meds would cost. Or the cost of neutering. Or dog training classes. Or really any of the stuff that would make you a responsible owner.

Yup.
What surprised me was how low the figure is: who would get rid of the much-loved family pet, just for 60quid, considering all the other costs it creates?

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-68074038.amp

Another serious dog attack yesterday.

I saw a clip the other day of 2 very boisterous dogs running up and jumping at a cyclist on a country path. One was a German Shepherd, the other a retriever maybe. Two owners, M and F, couldn't calm the dogs nor get them back on their leads. Bigger dogs would have knocked him off the bike.

spen666

Irrespective of the cause - I find this whole idea of give me money to save me paying for something rather odd. Is it not just a modern form of begging?

There is a big difference between someone starting a collection say for a victim of crime or a disaster and people starting their own collection for the sort of costs we should all expect to have to pay

Irrespective of the cause - I find this whole idea of give me money to save me paying for something rather odd. Is it not just a modern form of begging?

There is a big difference between someone starting a collection say for a victim of crime or a disaster and people starting their own collection for the sort of costs we should all expect to have to pay

I'd go with that as a generality. Son's G/F's aunt used it to raise funds for some, admittedly very costly, veterinary bills for her pooch.

As you will know it's widely used to fund legal cases as well though they tend to raise matters of common interest so have an application beyond those directly involved. Or things like inquests where there's a scandalous inequality of arms between (say) the state and relatives of the deceased.

Reactions: C R

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-68074038.amp

Another serious dog attack yesterday.

I saw a clip the other day of 2 very boisterous dogs running up and jumping at a cyclist on a country path. One was a German Shepherd, the other a retriever maybe. Two owners, M and F, couldn't calm the dogs nor get them back on their leads. Bigger dogs would have knocked him off the bike.

Looks like it was the owner who was seriously injured. Darwin in action, perhaps?,

The Police are now saying that enforcing the XL Bully ban is proving very difficult. Another thing they now have to enforce when they haven't the resources to Police everything esle to the required standard.

I say, ban all dogs. Those who currently have dogs can keep them until they die but will not be allowed another. Ban all puppy breeding and sales in 2 years time. A dog is not a necessity, it has just become one of those things that people do. I do love dogs but I feel the most humane way of controlling all of this is to have them not exist at all. Dog fouling, policing, injuries, deaths, dog cruelty would all be wiped out. Win/win

AuroraSaab

Legendary Member
The lockdown led to lots of people getting dogs and breeding became an even more profitable side line, so obvious result is more ending up unwanted and at charities. They do bring a lot of joy to people though so I wouldn't want to see breeding or ownership banned altogether. Most owners are responsible, it's just near impossible to police the ones that aren't.

matticus

Guru
I'll offer a compromise - ban profits from breeding. The crazy prices of pedigree dogs leads to unpleasant theft etc, health issues for the doggos, and is just plain silly.

Make it easy to adopt rescue dogs and unwanted mongrels, but preference to proven owners.

Punitive fines for any anti-social behaviour by your doggo. Can't pay? Off to the pound, for a more responsible family to claim.

[I'm not a dog owner, but I cannot deny the pleasure given to millions.]

Top Bottom