Hellhounds

Should there be a ban on breeding, selling and owning XL Bullies?

• Maiming machines with no place in public space - ban them now.

Votes: 8 38.1%
  • It's not the dogs, it's the owners! Here's a pic of my toddler sitting on my harmless land shark.

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • Never mind what kind, dogs in public should be muzzled and on leads.

Votes: 7 33.3%
  • A ban sounds appealing, but it's bad law. I'll explain why and suggest alternatives below.

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • I'd like to see them banned, but I can't bring myself to back Suella Braverman.

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ian H

Guru

View: https://ilovechihuahuas.medium.com/has-a-chihuahua-ever-killed-someone-b4f73ab631

Chihuahuas bite vets more than any other dog breed
Chihuahua ranks 4th in the breeds that have bitten children
We also found more research on Dognition. Their 2016 study said that after questioning 4,000 dog owners, Chihuahuas came out as being the most aggressive breed.

Bazzer

View: https://ilovechihuahuas.medium.com/has-a-chihuahua-ever-killed-someone-b4f73ab631

Chihuahuas bite vets more than any other dog breed
Chihuahua ranks 4th in the breeds that have bitten children
We also found more research on Dognition. Their 2016 study said that after questioning 4,000 dog owners, Chihuahuas came out as being the most aggressive breed.

From my mid teens my parents owned kennels and until I left home I had to help out with the animals. Small dogs like Chihuahua were always the worst to deal with. Very often just nasty, no matter however you interacted with them.
Also reading their body language was more difficult and if they bit you, the teeth were so much sharper than say an Alsatian or Husky.
This also appears to be one of my daughter's experiences in a veterinary practice. Although from her conversations, cats are probably even worse.

As there's no breed standard for XL Bullies it might require some time for an investigation to come to a conclusion.

The point is they were big enough to cause fatal injuries. A Chihuahua would not.

We keep hearing this, but most people seemed to know what an XL Bully was before the ban. Most people knew whether the dog they had was subject to the new laws. I don't think they needed a breed standard then. I appreciate the law needs clarity, but this argument oft trotted-out seems like dancing on a pin in the overall scheme of things. If it looks like a duck....

icowden

Legendary Member
We keep hearing this, but most people seemed to know what an XL Bully was before the ban. Most people knew whether the dog they had was subject to the new laws. I don't think they needed a breed standard then. I appreciate the law needs clarity, but this argument oft trotted-out seems like dancing on a pin in the overall scheme of things. If it looks like a duck....

I think it's a legal argument. If you have the legal right to take a dog and destroy it based on breed, you have to have a legal definition for that breed otherwise you might be destroying a dog which looks like an XL Bully but isn't.

I think it's a legal argument. If you have the legal right to take a dog and destroy it based on breed, you have to have a legal definition for that breed otherwise you might be destroying a dog which looks like an XL Bully but isn't.

Then the question is how far out the breed 'Standard' to get away with it? Colour, height, ear shape? You still end-up dancing on a pin. A certain pragmatism needs to apply. Breed standards generally apply to pedigree showing stock though there can be pure-bred pedigree animals that fall outside the perfect description.

It's not unlike trying to define an SUV for extra parking charges...if it has a certain number of these characteristics it then may be considered an SUV in this instance.

Last edited:
The trouble is that pin head dancing is something lawyers love. The criticism of the original Dangerous Dogs Act was the the Bull Terriers that drove that panic also had no real definition. Hours of court time were spaffed up over whether a particular animal was or was not a Pit Bull. The idea that adding another 'breed' to what is widely regarded as an example suma cum laude of how NOT to do legislation was the way to go shows how short political memories are.

matticus

Guru
The trouble is that pin head dancing is something lawyers love. The criticism of the original Dangerous Dogs Act was the the Bull Terriers that drove that panic also had no real definition. Hours of court time were spaffed up over whether a particular animal was or was not a Pit Bull. The idea that adding another 'breed' to what is widely regarded as an example suma cum laude of how NOT to do legislation was the way to go shows how short political memories are.

I think you're right, but so is Fabbers to a degree.
We need pragmatic laws .. the good news is that we already HAVE plenty of them! Many many laws include phrases like
beyond reasonable doubt ...
could be expected to harm ...

The police can shoot a man dead under the right circumstances, and without a 1-month consultation with lawyers.

Dangerous Dogs - kept as a luxury, remember - are a solvable problem.

The police can shoot a man dead under the right circumstances, and without a 1-month consultation with lawyers.

We have humanised dogs far too much; not just with names and clothes, but they have been elevated to almost human levels of worth. Don't get me wrong, they must be protected against cruelty and neglect, but if they're dangerous then they've got to go. I don't care about the breed, as long as the correct dog is put down.

Pigs and cows can be as loyal, affectionate, intelligent as dogs but we don't care about them because they're too big and not as cuddly. We just slaughter them and eat them and that's ok. But dogs...noooooo...get the lawyers in and go through all of these expensive laws and legislations just in case a killer dog might not be an actual XL Bully. What a funny bunch we are

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.

Exactly

Ultimately whether the law is perfect or not is whether it has the intended effect. I think that most people would agree that it had a positive impact. There will be fewer Bully type dogs on the streets as a result of recent legislation.
No law banning anything is perfect, but if it leads to a significant reduction in harm then surely that's a win?

Top Bottom