Hellhounds

Should there be a ban on breeding, selling and owning XL Bullies?

• Maiming machines with no place in public space - ban them now.

Votes: 8 38.1%
  • It's not the dogs, it's the owners! Here's a pic of my toddler sitting on my harmless land shark.

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • Never mind what kind, dogs in public should be muzzled and on leads.

Votes: 7 33.3%
  • A ban sounds appealing, but it's bad law. I'll explain why and suggest alternatives below.

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • I'd like to see them banned, but I can't bring myself to back Suella Braverman.

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Terrible news from Devon. 45 sheep killed by an unidentified dog or dogs.
Someone must know something about this.
Again I presume it’s irresponsible owners coupled with big, powerful dogs.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-68235429

Oh dear. Presumably there will be meaningful action now.

matticus

Guru
This is probably a typical exchange on local FB groups :scratch:
Screenshot_20240223-195931.png

C R

Über Member
There's a notice at the entrance of the playing fields next to our local parish hall asking dog walkers to keep their dogs on leads. Unfortunately a large number of dog owners don't. There's also a problem with said owners not picking up their dog's poo. The parish council are at their wit's end about what to do, because every time they raise this issue, facebook erupts with complaints about nanny state crap from all the knuckle draggers.

Bazzer

There's a notice at the entrance of the playing fields next to our local parish hall asking dog walkers to keep their dogs on leads. Unfortunately a large number of dog owners don't. There's also a problem with said owners not picking up their dog's poo. The parish council are at their wit's end about what to do, because every time they raise this issue, facebook erupts with complaints about nanny state crap from all the knuckle draggers.
I would have thought the answer would be to ban dogs from the playing fields. If the owners can't follow a simple rule, why should they be allowed to use the amenity?

AndyRM

Elder Goth

Beat me to it!

And, something I hadn't really considered before until I thought about it just now, but there's a lot of animal cruelty across Irvine Welsh's books. I suppose if he's going to write about human depravity he may as well cover all the angles.

Bazzer

And how would you enforce that?
Therein lies the issue for most laws, particularly local authority laws.
IIRC Spike Milligan would photograph and report dog owners who allowed their animals to crap on the pavement. But in the internet age, you could start or fuel a war on your local FB page with images of the offenders. And if you wanted to go full John Wick, accompanied by images of campylobacter and toxocariasis. The son of one of my school teachers had ocular toxocariasis and was blind in one eye as a result.

Top Bottom