How or Why is an Octopus toy Considered Antisemitic

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
I think that was my point! You only need a bit of meedja shoutiness and it fuels a whole lot of misinformed and misplaced moral outrage....

20231024_193329.jpg

matticus

Guru
I do think it is of concern that she is gaining power and influence without responsibility. It's easy to say don't carry on with business as usual, but how do you actually do that without wrecking the world economy.

If you think Greta is concerning, wait until you hear about the power and influence without responsibility the oil and fossil fuel industry has wielded for 100 years...

... and I think Liz Truss would be worth talking to about this ...

Octopus imagery is only open this interpretation when appearing in the context of talking about Israel/Judaism, not in the context of toy shops, Blue Planet TV shows, or even Ringo Starr songs. Just like other allusions to stereotypes and tropes like bananas, they are not inherently racist. If GT had been sat next to it on a bus rather than in a video she made about Palestine the thought that it was a veiled reference to Jews wouldn't have arisen.

ebikeerwidnes

It’s interesting that some pro-Israeli individuals and groups are referring to the octopus as an anti-Semitic trope, but Israeli politicians often use the term to describe Iran and Islamism.

They can’t have it both ways.

Interesting point
I did some chcking and found this from the Jerusalem Post - which I assume is not generally thought of as anti-Semitic
and describes Iran's influence as an Octopus
https://www.jpost.com/middle-east/w...irans-threats-to-israel-and-the-region-656524

Reactions: C R
The problem is her concern seems to be rather selective. Wanting justice for all in the face of Hamas atrocities is weak to say the least. The YT clip posted by @dutchguylivingintheuk was ironic to say the least.

The actions of anyone that knowingly will long term lead to the harm of others would indeed be evil. Greta would not have been wrong imo to use that expression.

It took some guts to get up in front of the UN to give her speech at her age. On the other hand 'you have stolen my dreams and childhood' seems to make the issue revolve around her. She had to add 'I am one of the lucky ones' to deflect to my mind the legitimate criticism from someone in the developing world that living in Sweden she is not so much lucky as privileged. It's true that she wasn't forced to make the speech but to have been filled with so much fear seems to me to be bordering on child abuse. That was my reaction at the time.

Some brief footage of her at Glasgow showed the adulation has gone to her head. Probably not that surprising.

From the point of view of climate alarmism she was a propaganda coup, and wrong-footed many a sceptic. This was shown in their failure to deal with her, frequent ad hominum attacks, and on the comment sections of some sceptic sites appallingly viscious nasty comments. I found tbh some of it disgusting. They should have left her alone, seen she was a propaganda ploy, and dealt with the issues, but you are right she did touch a raw nerve.

I do think it is of concern that she is gaining power and influence without responsibility. It's easy to say don't carry on with business as usual, but how do you actually do that without wrecking the world economy.

Let it go, you'll feel much better.

The octopus is not an antisemitic trope. The whole "Greta is using an octopus as an antisemitic sign" was started off by a troll on twitter and then picked up by the usual suspects.

+++++ End of thread +++++

Rusty Nails

Country Member
They never had tropes when I was a kid. Now the world is bloody full of them.

I blame the internet.

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
Fully recommend a visit to the Dali theatre museum in Figueres if you're ever that way, it's enjoyably bonkers.

Top Bottom