Israel / Palestine

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theclaud

Reading around the chip
Am I alone in expecting al-Shifa to be explosively demolished, just like the parliament complex, before credible evidence of the terrorist’s dastardly high tech lair is produced?

What have we seen so far? A few AK-47s and a staff fridge cleaning rota. I bet there’s more weaponry in the basement of the average hospital in Kentucky.

I see they're now gunning for Jeremy Bowen, since he had the temerity to indicate a little healthy scepticism about the veracity of IDF claims.

multitool

I am starting to get the feeling that Israel and its western enablers are misjudging public opinion massively. OTOH, that was also the case with the Iraq invasion, and it made no difference :sad:

It won't make any difference.

The Israelis aren't going to miss this opportunity gifted to them by Hamas. All they need to do now is pressure/bribe Egypt to open Rafah and then it becomes somebody else's problem

theclaud

Reading around the chip
It won't make any difference.

The Israelis aren't going to miss this opportunity gifted to them by Hamas. All they need to do now is pressure/bribe Egypt to open Rafah and then it becomes somebody else's problem

Wow - for something that won't make any difference, Israel sure puts a lot of unnecessary effort and resources into propaganda, lobbying, and systematic misinformation.

Reactions: C R

multitool

Wow - for something that won't make any difference, Israel sure puts a lot of unnecessary effort and resources into propaganda, lobbying, and systematic misinformation.

See also Iraq war. Million people on the streets in the actual country proposing the war.

Made such a difference.

• Sad

theclaud

Reading around the chip
See also Iraq war. Million people on the streets in the actual country proposing the war.

Made such a difference.

It didn't stop the war. That's not the same thing as claiming it had no political impact.

Anyway, while I've brought Jeremy Bowen up, he wrote this a couple of days ago...

We have seen a hardening of the international position around the Israeli offensive in the last few days with the US, the UK and France using language that is shifting the tone - perhaps summed up best by what US Secretary of State Antony Blinken said last weekend: "Far too many" Palestinian civilians have been killed.

Two running clocks

The Israelis knew this shift would come because this is a repeat of the pattern we have seen many times before with Israel's military operations. They talk about different clocks running during any operation.

One is military: how long do they need before they accomplish their military objectives? The other is diplomatic: how long does Israel hold legitimacy to carry out that operation before its allies say, "you've killed enough people, civilians, you need to stop now please."

Israel feels that because of the absolute enormity of the numbers of casualties in the Hamas attacks on 7 October, they have more time than usual, and I think they have gone in - as we can see from the levels of casualties in Gaza - using a great deal of force.

I have seen some estimates that suggest the Israel Defense Forces will continue to work in this way for a couple more weeks, but I think the forces are gathering among their allies to say you need to change the nature of your military operation.

That doesn't necessarily translate to a call for this to stop - certainly we haven't yet heard a call for a ceasefire from the British or the Americans.

albion

Guru
Unfortunately, for the last umpteen years Israel has been into escalation politics. It is hard to even hope the extremism will ever change.

• Sad
Top Bottom