Israel / Palestine

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Beebo

Beebo

Veteran

I agree with Owen Jones.
She’s Jewish so is bound to be on the Isreali side.
It would have been better for Sky to have chosen someone less partisan.

Reactions: C R
What would we do without you checking to ensure absolute fairness and symmetry about the reporting of these events?
Everything that is happening in Israel/Palestine is absolutely awful, but never mind that let's concentrate on how bad we are at reporting it and ensure only facts verified by the UN are printed.

Highlighting U.K. based propaganda on a U.K. politics chat forum seems like a reasonable thing to do. None of us can change the bigger picture in Palestine currently but we can at least have opinions about attempts to manipulate domestic public sentiment.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
Highlighting U.K. based propaganda on a U.K. politics chat forum seems like a reasonable thing to do. None of us can change the bigger picture in Palestine currently but we can at least have opinions about attempts to manipulate domestic public sentiment.

Shock, horror! Newspapers reporting according to their political biases rather than just keeping the scoreboard. Never happened before, something must be done.

No one on this forum views these recent events through their own political spectrum do they?

Shock, horror! Newspapers reporting according to their political biases rather than just keeping the scoreboard. Never happened before, something must be done.

No one on this forum views these recent events through their own political spectrum do they?

It's what the forum is for. The Metro front page was a particularly blatant example of main stream propaganda, though, and worthy of comment..

bobzmyunkle

She’s Jewish so is bound to be on the Isreali side.
Doesn't follow. But she does have a track record of being an apologist for the Israeli govt. whatever action it takes, and for playing the anti-semite card if anyone criticises Israel.
It would have been better for Sky to have chosen someone less partisan.
But they put her up against Owen Jones - equally partisan.

For what it's worth, I'm with Owen Jones on this one.

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
What would we do without you checking to ensure absolute fairness and symmetry about the reporting of these events?
Everything that is happening in Israel/Palestine is absolutely awful, but never mind that let's concentrate on how bad we are at reporting it and ensure only facts verified by the UN are printed.

I get your point, I may be pressing the issue but we are on this thread being asked to condemn certain atrocities. Firstly, I'm not going to do that, asking me to condemn an atrocity says something about how the person asking views me and I find it a bit accusatory. Secondly I think although we all know how misinformation works, there are reports of atrocities on this thread being uncritically repeated and I think it's good to take a step back and think about where these reports come from and how much truth we can attach to them. I'm using my posts on here as an exercise for organising my own thoughts on the matter as much as I am having a conversation with anyone else.

Thirdly, as I have pointed out repeatedly so I accept it may be becoming tiresome, there are many aspects of this situation which are biased in different ways, not least in the reporting of it, and I think it's reasonable to include the UK media's coverage in any conversation we're having.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
I'm not sure what point you're trying to make. Is it that we shouldn't be debating or criticising reportage?
Of course not.

My post #164 to @winjim was a not too subtle comment on the amount of posts on that aspect.

His post #173 responding to me explains his reasoning.

End of story.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Doesn't follow. But she does have a track record of being an apologist for the Israeli govt. whatever action it takes, and for playing the anti-semite card if anyone criticises Israel.

But they put her up against Owen Jones - equally partisan.

For what it's worth, I'm with Owen Jones on this one.

Isn't this just a form of "click bait" ?

albion

Guru
Metro used to be quite a fun, light-hearted read before it became nothing more than Daily Mail Lite. Neutral political stance my arse.
Ownership of media in the UK is nearly all right wing/authoritarian. Even the Daily Mirror has gone to the Daily Express owning Reach.
Reach itself appears to heavily lean into ChatGPT/AI to generate stuff.

The ultra right Telegraph is for sale yet the team has gone even further right. Makes me wonder if the next billionaire buyer will gut all staff, or just follow on with the same (anti UK) agenda.
There is a hint that the Middle East will the dominant behind the scenes partner in future Telegraph ownership, as happens elsewhere.

Last edited:
Ownership of media in the UK is nearly all right wing/authoritarian. Even the Daily Mirror has gone to the Daily Express owning Reach.
Reach itself appears to heavily lean into ChatGPT/AI to generate stuff.

The ultra right Telegraph is for sale yet the team has gone even further right. Makes me wonder if the next billionaire buyer will gut all staff, or just follow on with the same (anti UK) agenda.
There is a hint that the Middle East will the dominant behind the scenes partner in future Telegraph ownership, as happens elsewhere.
Are you drunk or something? Daily mirror and express ok, but so far i known their basically an wrapper about the same content, just as the Sun. However the Telegraph? have you seen their columnist? more left that right and certainly not far right

C R

Über Member
Are you drunk or something? Daily mirror and express ok, but so far i known their basically an wrapper about the same content, just as the Sun. However the Telegraph? have you seen their columnist? more left that right and certainly not far right

Has the Overton window moved so far to the right that it is now possible to say with a straight face that telegraph columnists are mostly on the left?

Top Bottom