Israel / Palestine

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
How about an Israeli administration free from hardline Zionist influence?

Yes, that would be good too

How about an Israeli administration free from hardline Zionist influence?

That's always a possibility because Israel has democratic elections. When was the last democratic election in Gaza? You'd be a brave Palestinian who took up a post in the new Palestinian Authority and tried to remain influence free.

Anyway it's a non starter at the moment.

theclaud

Reading around the chip
Some ideas about what a post-Hamas Gaza might look like here:

https://www.washingtoninstitute.org...and-principles-post-hamas-administration-gaza

Increasingly difficult to imagine neighbours like Jordan or Saudi wanting to play a large role though and it would be hard to implement a new Palestinian Authority that was totally free from Hamas influence. Non starter at the moment anyway as neither the Israeli government nor Hamas are publicly showing any interest in a 2 state solution, though that may change.

Jesus Christ. This is just the 'respectable' version of the sort of shit we get from Dutchie. .

Reactions: C R

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
Jesus Christ. This is just the 'respectable' version of the sort of shit we get from Dutchie. .

What, an interim period as a transition to a 2 state solution? Or that any new variant of the Palestinian Authority would struggle to be free of Hamas influence?

It's unrealistic to think that any Palestinian governance could start with an entirely clean slate just as it's unrealistic to think a new non Netanyahu government would be entirely free of the ideology that got him elected.

Eek? I haven't suggested the people of Gaza are collectively responsible. How can they be? It's 18 years since they were allowed to vote properly.

Bazzer

That's always a possibility because Israel has democratic elections. When was the last democratic election in Gaza? You'd be a brave Palestinian who took up a post in the new Palestinian Authority and tried to remain influence free.

Anyway it's a non starter at the moment.
I may be mistaken, but I understood from commentary made at the times of Israel's previous elections, that due to the PR system of voting, governments were to some extent beholden to various religious, sometimes extremist, minority parties?

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
Eek? I haven't suggested the people of Gaza are collectively responsible. How can they be? It's 18 years since they were allowed to vote properly.

I didn't mean to suggest that you had.

But others have, including Israeli politicians.

I may be mistaken, but I understood from commentary made at the times of Israel's previous elections, that due to the PR system of voting, governments were to some extent beholden to various religious, sometimes extremist, minority parties?

I wouldn't be surprised. That's PR for you. At their best showing Ukip would have got 80 seats under some PR models. Remains to be seen what the long term electoral effects of the current conflict are in Israel; more votes for hawkish parties or more support for parties that favour a 2 state solution.

BoldonLad

I'm talking about you regurgitating AIPAC talking points. Funnelling the propaganda of the perpetrators of an ongoing genocide. The resistance is a product of the occupation. Don't like the resistance? End the occupation.

Is that the occupation of the whole of the former Palestine area, ie scrap the state of Israel and deport the Jews to somewhere else?, or, return Israel to the borders before the 6 day war, and, elect a Palestinian Government for the reset?

multitool

Is that the occupation of the whole of the former Palestine area, ie scrap the state of Israel and deport the Jews to somewhere else?, or, return Israel to the borders before the 6 day war, and, elect a Palestinian Government for the reset?

If you look back to the Oslo accords the Palestinians agreed to Israel claiming 78% of the former 'Palestine'.

The truth is the people in charge of Israel know that the Palestinians have no voice and little power. Likud has always wanted the entire cake.

BoldonLad

If you look back to the Oslo accords the Palestinians agreed to Israel claiming 78% of the former 'Palestine'.

The truth is the people in charge of Israel know that the Palestinians have no voice and little power. Likud has always wanted the entire cake.

Very interesting, but, that is not what I asked.

Top Bottom