Israel / Palestine

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

multitool

According to BBC news, Israelis have rescued two hostages.

That's at least one fewer than the hostages the Israelis have killed

Reactions: C R

multitool

I suspect that these recent events have done more to increase anti-semitism around the world and just serve to magnify the bunker mentality of Israel.

It's strange how diaspora Muslims are expected to constantly disavow themselves from the actions of extremist terrorists who claim to share the same religion, but asking diaspora Jews to disavow themselves from the actions of the state of Israel is anti-semitic.

Actually, I think it is anti-semitic, but the word has been so overly exploited by the current crop of zionist extremists who run Israel as to devalue the term.

Israel does have a bunker mentality, but it is born out of a sense of impunity as much as anything else.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Interesting word "semitic", or rather, interesting the way in which it's used, particularly in the context of "anti-semitic" in English at least.

Last edited:

multitool

Interesting word "semitic", or rather, interesting the way in which it's used, particularly in the context of "anti-semitic" in English at least.

Was probably originally German. There is some suggestion that the term was coined in the late 19th century to discriminate between a particular form of anti-jewish sentiment and the general prejudice towards Jews that had existed before.

'Semitic' refers to a group of languages that share common features.

BoldonLad

Was probably originally German. There is some suggestion that the term was coined in the late 19th century to discriminate between a particular form of anti-jewish sentiment and the general prejudice towards Jews that had existed before.

It also refers to a group of religions.

multitool

1000001550.jpg

Reactions: C R

BoldonLad

Originally derived from Shem, the name of Noah's eldest son. And refers to a group of peoples, including Arabs.

Looks as if son of Noah has it, for the origin: https://www.oxfordreference.com/display/10.1093/oi/authority.20110803100454199#:~:text=A member of any of,traditionally supposed to be descended.

But, it's usage is odd (to me at least), for example Semitic people, : https://www.britannica.com/topic/Semite, and semitic religions is even more bizarre, since it includes Judaism, Christianity and Islam. Then again, just about anything involving religion, is, in my experience bizarre. Those of the same religion have managed to fight with and kill each other for years, so, the options with different religions are almost endless.

None of the above makes life any easier for the civilians in Gaza of course.

In my uneducated opinion, whatever the rights and wrongs of the past, a Political solution, probably with two States, is the only way to lasting peace, if only it was as easy to achieve as it is to say.

Last edited:
Top Bottom