Israel / Palestine

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

glasgowcyclist

Über Member
So let's get this clear; leaving Mr Linehan out of this for the mo (I assume he wasn't in The Soho Theatre?), do you (or @AndyRM ) think this is reasonable behaviour for an empassioned performer? Bear in mind these were paying punters, not attendees of a rally/protest.

TLDR: Yes

Mr Currie produced two flags at the end of his performance, one Ukrainian and the other Palestinian.

For some reason, the presence of one of those flags spoiled the enjoyment of one spectator. What resentment could the spectator be harbouring towards the nation of people that that flag represents to feel that way?

Mr Currie appears to have judged the situation warranted him telling the spectator to fark off (the show was at an end anyway). There’s been no evidence yet reported that shows Mr Currie treated the spectator this way for any reason other than objecting to the flag.

He obviously doesn't believe his personal opinions bore any influence on the sentence he passed.
I don't known how the laws in the uk are worded but part of the oath and addition rules judges in the Netherlands and best of my knowledge most of the countries need to commit to is that they disclose any kind of bias, it is not relevant how he believes his personal opinions influences his judgement or not. It's relevant that anyone can point out his judgement might have been influenced and therefore jeopardize / delay the judgement.

Mr Currie appears to have judged the situation warranted him telling the spectator to fark off (the show was at an end anyway). There’s been no evidence yet reported that shows Mr Currie treated the spectator this way for any reason other than objecting to the flag.
Still a very slippery slope as giving an speech somewhere, some guy in the US did that a few years ago and although he did not word for word said it, people did read it as an invitation to storm the Capital and now he is in all kinds of trouble... Now i'm not saying this situation in 1on1 comparable but elements are, the law expects someone with an certain podium to be more vigilant about the actions his word might cause. Having said that directly after the Ukraine war there where similar ukraine/russian flags wars so there is that, but accountabilty is still a thing

multitool

It's pretty standard for hard right populists to try and undermine the judiciary with claims of bias.

Very few people hold no position on major issues. The difference is whether those in the legal profession allow their own political views to influence their interpretation of the law. It's usual for the pro-Israel lobby to try and elide any sympathy with the opression of Palestinians as some sort of advocacy for terrorism, and of course their pea-brained useful idiots will squawk it at any opportunity.

We've gone through the looking glass on this one, where innocent civilians including many thousands of little children are being shot and blown to pieces, and at the same time we are being asked to believe that the people conducting an orgy of racist violence are the real victims of these little children.

Last edited:

multitool

Oooh, If I were a judge

View attachment 5491

3 months prison sentence

Given that you have zero knowledge of the law (zero knowledge of anything, in fact) it's a fair assumption that your demand for a 3 month sentence is not based on the law or sentencing guidelines but on the motivation for the offence conflicting with your own personal political views. Therefore you would do exactly that of which you are accusing this judge.

You really are astonishingly simple, aren't you.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 159

Given that you have zero knowledge of the law (zero knowledge of anything, in fact) it's a fair assumption that your demand for a 3 month sentence is not based on the law or sentencing guidelines but on the motivation for the offence conflicting with your own personal political views. Therefore you would do exactly that of which you are accusing this judge.

You really are astonishingly simple, aren't you.

I was being extremely lenient, the guidelines I believe can ask for much more severe terms.

It must be the liberal luvvies on here making me soft hearted ;)

multitool

I was being extremely lenient, the guidelines I believe can ask for much more severe terms.

As I said you are a simpleton who knows nothing, and in this case knows nothing about sentencing guidelines. The guidelines do not "ask" for more severe terms. The offence is placed on a sliding scale of harm and culpability, and the sentences are determined accordingly. In this case, Category C and 3 for Capability and Harm. There is no way this offence could have fallen within the bands requiring a custodial sentence, even a suspended sentence which is still a custodial sentence.

Your problem is that you are not very bright, and as such are easy prey to the manipulative techniques of the tabloid press. It looks as if you read the Daily Mail report on this case and believed it. You probably didn't even read the whole report, because the usual strategy of the DM is to contain a highly leading headline and opening paragraph, often with selective quoting steering readers towards a particular interpretation, but the following paragraphs are usually more anodyne and far more aligned with the truth in so far as not containing distortions.

What is irritating about you is that it is immediately apparent to most readers what you are, because most readers (in fact all, except dutchie) are considerably brighter and more literate than you. You've had it spelt out to you that not only are you seen through immediately, but that your little games are unoriginal, unsophisticated and boring.

And yet you continue with this charade like a toddler putting his hands down his nappy and clapping his shît smeared hands in a desperate and pathetic attempt for attention at any cost, however demeaning for yourself.

AndyRM

Elder Goth
Still a very slippery slope as giving an speech somewhere, some guy in the US did that a few years ago and although he did not word for word said it, people did read it as an invitation to storm the Capital and now he is in all kinds of trouble... Now i'm not saying this situation in 1on1 comparable but elements are, the law expects someone with an certain podium to be more vigilant about the actions his word might cause. Having said that directly after the Ukraine war there where similar ukraine/russian flags wars so there is that, but accountabilty is still a thing

It's a shame that the media who have latched onto the story and are making the proverbial out of nothing aren't being held accountable.

matticus

Guru
Mr Currie produced two flags at the end of his performance, one Ukrainian and the other Palestinian.

"... the incident happened around five minutes from the end of Mr Currie's performance, after the comedian had unveiled both a Ukrainian and Palestinian flag.

The man, who wished to remain anonymous, claimed Mr Currie "encouraged a standing ovation" before questioning why one man had remained seated
."

Bloody flag-shaggers!

multitool

D

Deleted member 159

You don't need to quote the sentencing guidelines that I told you about back at me. And yes, I know it's culpability. Predictive text doesn't.

No, you weren't being lenient, and the fact that you think you were demonstrates your ignorance.
There is no way this offence could have fallen within the bands requiring a custodial sentence, even a suspended sentence which is still a custodial sentence.
High level community order – 2 years’ custody

I was ever so kindly asked to be theoretical judge. I gave my opinion, obviously you could have a completely opinion.

I had looked up the guidelines before making my considered sentencing. :biggrin:

So I was informed :okay:

glasgowcyclist

Über Member

Not even remotely comparable.

Top Bottom