Israel / Palestine

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Veteran
that such reports are not always a media conspiracy or always deliberate misinformation.

That's true.

Instant media and the desire to report immediately is largely to blame.

In the good old days of inky fingers you had until the next print deadline to stand something up.

Any number of stories were written and never saw the light of day as new information emerged.

They were working with the information they had at the time. I hope you are applying the same criteria to on the spot reports from Gaza by the same outlets, ie the BBC is no longer credible when reporting on the Israeli offensive.

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
They were working with the information they had at the time. I hope you are applying the same criteria to on the spot reports from Gaza by the same outlets, ie the BBC is no longer credible when reporting on the Israeli offensive.

The information was provided by the Israeli military and is being used to justify war crimes and, as some would call it, genocide. It's kind of important.

winjim

I see Hamas have put out a statement, in English, seeming quite measured in their language. It's certainly not a hysterical 'we love death, kill all Jews' kind of message. They're denying the beheading claims, saying they only targeted military installations with civilians caught in the chaos and crossfire, and affirming their right to armed resistance against occupation.

Obviously they must have anticipated a massive response from Israel but I wonder if they might have underestimated the level of support, both political and military, that Israel is getting from Western countries.

Supporting Tory MP Crispin Blunt wasn’t something I thought I’d do today.

View: https://twitter.com/icjpalestine/status/1713102876992524496?s=61&t=IaNHN0MzKohAo3Ktl0DsFQ

IMG_3922.jpeg

https://www.icjpalestine.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/10/ICJP-LETTER-TO-GOVERNMENT-13-Oct-2023.pdf

Last edited:

Rusty Nails

Country Member
I put as much credence in statements from Hamas, even ones in measured terms, as I do to statements from the Israeli government at this time.

Did they explain which military target they were attacking when the 250 people killed in the music festival were caught n the crossfire?

I believe Hamas were less concerned about the involvement of the West than they were the involvement of the Arab nations.

winjim

I put as much credence in statements from Hamas, even ones in measured terms, as I do to statements from the Israeli government at this time.

Did they explain which military target they were attacking when the 250 people killed in the music festival were caught n the crossfire?

I believe Hamas were less concerned about the involvement of the West than they were the involvement of the Arab nations.

Yes, Arab nations as well.

I'm commenting on the tone of the statement rather than anything else. I make no judgement as to the truth of it.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
Yes, Arab nations as well.

I'm commenting on the tone of the statement rather than anything else. I make no judgement as to the truth of it.

Based solely on their comment about only attacking military installations and civilians only being caught in the crossfire then I have no problem in judging the truth of it.

Sounds very similar to Israel saying they only attack Hamas locations in Gaza and civilian deaths are because people are caught in the crossfire.

winjim

Based solely on their comment about only attacking military installations and civilians only being caught in the crossfire then I have no problem in judging the truth of it.

Sounds very similar to Israel saying they only attack Hamas locations in Gaza and civilian deaths are because people are caught in the crossfire.
Whether it's true or not, it suggests to me that they realise that civilian massacre, real or reported, has not exactly been a tactical success.

Meanwhile 'credible outlet' NBC claims to have obtained 'top secret' documents taken from the bodies of Hamas fighters detailing their plans to target specific Israeli schools in order to take hostages. This has led many commentators on twitter to wonder why they would do such a thing... on the Jewish Sabbath.

Rusty Nails

Country Member
Whether it's true or not, it suggests to me that they realise that civilian massacre, real or reported, has not exactly been a tactical success.

Meanwhile 'credible outlet' NBC claims to have obtained 'top secret' documents taken from the bodies of Hamas fighters detailing their plans to target specific Israeli schools in order to take hostages. This has led many commentators on twitter to wonder why they would do such a thing... on the Jewish Sabbath.

Commentators on twitter (and other social media inc this) wonder out loud about a lot of things. More fun than waiting for facts.

Last edited:

winjim

Should they not report these things unless Hamas themselves confirm it? It seems to be maps and a few pages of printed off instructions not the professionally bound Staples produced publication the Twitter poster suggests.

Top Bottom