Israel / Palestine

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tarric

No my claim is like i wrote the power of numbers is how they are over-run in Ukraine. Alltough Isreals defence capabilties are indeed far more advanced then Ukraine's the system can still be overloaded, if you have a very simply said if you have a Patriot battery with 10 missiles then Ukraine has a problem if 13 missiles are fired in the time the patriot needs to reload. Isreal has a developed a additional system that detects the intended target/location it's going to hit, then can also identify if said target is a non-important field of empty land or a civilian/goverment/public building and then can decide whter to take the rocket down or not. they also have not 3 patriot batteries for the whole country(like Ukraine currently as far as i known) but quite a bit more and also some variations and other type of systems so long before impact their air defence system has decided *if* it needs to be taken down *when and where* it's going to be taken down *and* which air defence system is going to be used.
Whilst Ukraine system is indeed by far less efficient than Isreal's system still the principle of ''beating'' / compromising it remain the same, fireing more rockets then the systems can handle. Nobody exactly knowns what Isreals capacity is, but it can still be overflown just as Ukraine's or any other system.
No the ability of the Israelis systems far out ways the capabilities of any of it's enemies, unfortunately unlike the Ukrainians who are facing a world superpower.

Ian H

Legendary Member

AndyRM

Elder Goth

I wonder what they're hoping to achieve with it? I know the stated aim is a negotiation to release the rest of the hostages, but I can't see Netanyahu even considering that - it'd make him look weak for a start, and he'd be on the back foot from the beginning of any deal.

I have a great deal of sympathy for those who have lost loved ones, but absolutely none for Netanyahu who might finally have to deal with the consequences of his actions. I suppose it's fitting that any positive action he might take is a result of his own citizens forcing his hand.

AndyRM

Elder Goth
Netanyahu will hang on to power by what ever means he can.
A senior member of Netanyahu's government went on to say that 'everyone knew he's a narcissist and a coward. But his lack of humanity came into full, ugly display in recent months'
https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news...is-hands/00000191-acf1-d453-ab9f-fcfd1a3b0000

Sad but true, hence my comments about him (well, Israel, but the buck stops with him) being a playground bully backed by his tougher pals up-thread.

AndyRM

Elder Goth
Seems like things are getting fractious to say the least in Israel with the government ordering an end to the strike action. It's totalitarian bullsh!t like this which is doing Netanyahu no favours. If his citizens have had enough at this point it can surely be only a matter of time before one of his pals steps in and has a quiet word along the lines of,

"Benjamin, old buddy old pal/dear chap, that's plenty. Time to put your toys away and see sense. There are no winners here, only who is perceived as the biggest loser, and you wouldn't want that to be you now would you? Let's leave the Sharon-esque antics behind eh?"

Rusty Nails

Country Member
Seems like things are getting fractious to say the least in Israel with the government ordering an end to the strike action. It's totalitarian bullsh!t like this which is doing Netanyahu no favours. If his citizens have had enough at this point it can surely be only a matter of time before one of his pals steps in and has a quiet word along the lines of,

"Benjamin, old buddy old pal/dear chap, that's plenty. Time to put your toys away and see sense. There are no winners here, only who is perceived as the biggest loser, and you wouldn't want that to be you now would you? Let's leave the Sharon-esque antics behind eh?"

The people keeping him in power are as bad as, if not worse than, him so they will not step in to tell him that.

Ian H

Legendary Member
Remember that Netanyahu also avoids prison whilst he has parliamentary immunity.

No, I don't. It would have put pressure on Netanyahu to withdraw becuse after the initial few weeks, when it was clear Hamas had started a war they couldn't win and half of Gaza had been reduced to rubble, there would have been less justification for Israel to continue. It's a moot point for various reasons though since neither Hamas nor Netanyahu actually want/wanted an end to it.

OP
OP
Beebo

Beebo

Veteran
No, I don't. It would have put pressure on Netanyahu to withdraw becuse after the initial few weeks, when it was clear Hamas had started a war they couldn't win and half of Gaza had been reduced to rubble, there would have been less justification for Israel to continue. It's a moot point for various reasons though since neither Hamas nor Netanyahu actually want/wanted an end to it.

I can agree with your last sentence.
It’s just a shoot show on all sides.

Reactions: C R
I think Israel were justified in responding to the events of last October, and justified in going to retrieve their citizens. You can certainly discuss the proportionality of the response. We can call it context not justification if you'd rather.

Top Bottom