Israel / Palestine

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyRM

Elder Goth
Professional semites The Jewish Chronicle have to withdraw made up articles

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/sep/14/crisis-at-jewish-chronicle-as-stories-are-withdrawn

F*cking hell, that's pretty wild.

OP
OP
Beebo

Beebo

Veteran
There has been a very odd development.
Over 3,000 hezbollar pagers have exploded, killing a number of people.

Anyone with a tech background who can explain how this could happen?

Could this be orchestrated by an enemy state?

Mossad hacking them and making the batteries explode all at the same time seems the most obvious explanation. There's cctv footage from shops of them going off in back pockets.

lazybloke

Regular

I suppose software can be exploited to operate batteries outside of spec, but i'm massively surprised if this is sufficient to cause an 'explosion'.

Although if you cause a high current demand to overheat lithium ion, you only need to get to about gas mark 1 and it goes up like a rocket : thermal runaway.

(Hence the demand for solid state and/or orher formulations which can tolerate MUCH more abuse).

If this is confirmed, i wonder if other online battery devices : laptops, mobile phones and so on, are potentially susceptible

Unplug your Di2!

I suppose software can be exploited to operate batteries outside of spec, but i'm massively surprised if this is sufficient to cause an 'explosion'.

Although if you cause a high current demand to overheat lithium ion, you only need to get to about gas mark 1 and it goes up like a rocket : thermal runaway.

(Hence the demand for solid state and/or orher formulations which can tolerate MUCH more abuse).

If this is confirmed, i wonder if other online battery devices : laptops, mobile phones and so on, are potentially susceptible

Unplug your Di2!
Well the technical possibilities is a other discussion rumor now is that it was a recent shipment, so in that case Isreal got hold of it, modified them before shipping them on and the rest is history.
It does explain how isreal could nuke that Hamas guy in Iran and should cause worry for the like of Iran, Hezbollah and all their proxies.

C R

Über Member

Unplug your Di2!

Discharging the battery too fast can cause it to vent and "explode". However, it is hard to see how a pager could draw enough current to cause that.

lazybloke

Regular
Well the technical possibilities is a other discussion rumor now is that it was a recent shipment, so in that case Isreal got hold of it, modified them before shipping them on and the rest is history.
It does explain how isreal could nuke that Hamas guy in Iran and should cause worry for the like of Iran, Hezbollah and all their proxies.

Ah, mundane bomb technology, that sounds a simpler explanation.

Imagine what could be achieved if all sides put as much effort into diplomacy and a peace process as they do into finding ways to murder each other.

OP
OP
Beebo

Beebo

Veteran
BBC suggesting a new delivery of pagers with a small amount of explosive.
Israel have somehow managed to intercept the shipment which apparently came from Iran.

Reactions: C R

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.

BBC News are saying that it was a new batch of pagers, which were intercepted during manufacture and had explosive charge inserted. This charge was then armed by a coded message, and, exploded next time user touched/used (not sure which) pager.

First question in my mind, if above is true, would be where were the pages manufactured?

Sorry, see you beat me to it, although, I didnt hear any claim that Israel 'did it", but, clearly, you have to ask "who else", and, they have apparently pulled a similar stunt with Mobile Phone.

Last edited:

AndyRM

Elder Goth
Multiple sources, via Reuters, are now reporting that Mossad was responsible for the pager explosions.

Conveniently enough for Israel, again, they don't comment on foreign media reports.

Top Bottom