Israel / Palestine

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

C R

Über Member
Israel is a knowledge powerhouse?

That's a good one.

They are. Israeli universities are well regarded for their research, and their technology companies, specially in "security", remember the Pegasus brouhaha?, and military. Their military technology exports might explain in part the reluctance of the UK to stop supporting the genocide, as someone else mentioned.

AndyRM

Elder Goth
They are. Israeli universities are well regarded for their research, and their technology companies, specially in "security", remember the Pegasus brouhaha?, and military. Their military technology exports might explain in part the reluctance of the UK to stop supporting the genocide, as someone else mentioned.

Yeah, I suppose that's true. I guess I'm coming at it from the point of view that if they are so knowledgeable they'd have found a way to effectively root out Hamas/Hezbollah insurgents without having to resort to blowing up hospitals/schools/pagers.

albion

Guru
Historically, both Jews and Quakers were 2nd class citizens so focussed more on maths and science.
Here, in the north east the start of the railway was built by Quaker bankers, thus Darlington football team got the nickname The Quakers

That science discipline needed for banking probably carried forward to today making Israel world leaders in much science.
But of course it is childs play to side read data in basic gadgets like a pager or walkie talkie.

Last edited:
Historically, both Jews and Quakers were 2nd class citizens so focussed more on maths and science.
Here, in the north east the start of the railway was built by Quaker bankers, this Darlington football team got the nickname The Quakers

That science discipline needed for banking probably carried forward to today making Israel world leaders in much science.
But of course it is childs play to side read data in basic gadget like a pager or walkie talkie.

The genius of the pagers/walkie-talkies is not the science, but in that it's is precisely targeted* and can be simultaneously or selectively set-of at any time, but that they managed to infiltrate the supply-chain so effectively shows a high degree of information gathering and long-term planning. This is warfare on a whole new level IMO. Any one checked their phones/ear-pods, laptops this morning?

*Caveat - no weapon capable of long-range mass murder is completely without some collateral damage, but this was probably is as good as it gets....

Yeah, I suppose that's true. I guess I'm coming at it from the point of view that if they are so knowledgeable they'd have found a way to effectively root out Hamas/Hezbollah insurgents without having to resort to blowing up hospitals/schools/pagers.

Targeting pagers belonging to your enemies fighters is far better than indiscriminate bombing of civilian infrastructure to root out your enemy....

AndyRM

Elder Goth
Targeting pagers belonging to your enemies fighters is far better than indiscriminate bombing of civilian infrastructure to root out your enemy....

I don't disagree but as reports are suggesting the targeting hasn't been completely effective. How could it be? There's no way of knowing who's actually holding a device when you blow it up unless you're in front of them.

Reactions: C R

matticus

Guru
Here, in the north east the start of the railway was built by Quaker bankers, thus Darlington football team got the nickname The Quakers

Surely that was all about oats. No?!?

I don't disagree but as reports are suggesting the targeting hasn't been completely effective. How could it be? There's no way of knowing who's actually holding a device when you blow it up unless you're in front of them.

No of course, neither has it killed all of the intended targets either.
But from all accounts it's made a significant impact on the enemy, not just the killed and wounded, but disrupted communications and the ability to organise themselves effectively (in the short-term). That must have spooked Hezbollah with the level of intelligence and infiltration that Israel have on them.
Also unlike bombing, it's almost invisible to the media - OK some was caught on CCTV, but it's not televisual like footage of tanks rolling-in or bombs and missiles raining from the sky . Its effect on the enemy seems far more impactful right now than bombing and with much less collateral damage.
I think we underestimate the ingenuity of this type of attack....

AndyRM

Elder Goth
No of course, neither has it killed all of the intended targets either.
But from all accounts it's made a significant impact on the enemy, not just the killed and wounded, but disrupted communications and the ability to organise themselves effectively (in the short-term). That must have spooked Hezbollah with the level of intelligence and infiltration that Israel have on them.
Also unlike bombing, it's almost invisible to the media - OK some was caught on CCTV, but it's not televisual like footage of tanks rolling-in or bombs and missiles raining from the sky . Its effect on the enemy seems far more impactful right now than bombing and with much less collateral damage.
I think we underestimate the ingenuity of this type of attack....

Yeah, all of that is fair enough really. I guess I was being a bit reactionary.

lazybloke

Regular
Also unlike bombing, it's almost invisible to the media - OK some was caught on CCTV, but it's not televisual like footage of tanks rolling-in or bombs and missiles raining from the sky .

Perhaps you didn't see the horrifying interview with a visibly shaken and exhausted doctor - i could bear to rewind and check his exact words, but i think it was that he'd never removed so many eyes in a single day.
As for cctv, i switched over after seeing a single cropped and truncated recording. More rhan enough.

I don't know how many devices exploded - 32 deaths (inc 2 children) so far, but thousands injured. Perhaps better than bombing residences, hospitals and evacuation camps but is it surgical targeting?

Top Bottom