Israel / Palestine

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

spen666

I've seen many many people label JSO as "terrorists". I do wonder if they see attacks on hospitals, beheadings etc, and think
"yeah mate, that's just like when I was in that traffic jam for 20 minutes."

One man's terrorist is another's freedom fighter so the saying goes

albion

Guru
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...-moscow-for-talks-on-foreign-hostages-in-gaza

The whole thing is a mess. Putin diplomacy is only one sinister aspect of it all.

Unkraut

Master of the Inane Comment
There are Jews who believe that they have a right to that land because they are God's chosen people and there are American evangelicals who support war in Israel because they believe it will bring about the rapture.
Not all evangelicals believe this. A view that the church has supplanted Israel has been widespread for a long time (replacement theology). Those who do believe in supporting Israel do not because of the rapture but because they see it as a fullfillment of predictive prophecy. They have good reasons for doing so - the following explains this in a couple of short paragraphs. https://accessinspiration.org/library/3429/
Bonkers religious justification for war, atrocity and ethnic cleansing
I think there is a real danger of unconditional support, especially in the States, of all Israeli actions with regard to its neighbours and the way it prosecutes war, as opposed to the right of Israel to exist. The danger of a sentimental mentality towards Israel - it is far from being a 'righteous and holy nation'.

On the other hand the Jews have constantly suffered during the last two millenia, and could anyone begrudge them, especially after 1945, from having a homeland of their own where they could dwell securely.
... conflict is not unique to Hamas
As I understand it Islam is not just a religion about man and God, the 'spiritual' aspect, but is also territorial. When a land that has once been conquered for Islam departs from it, it is the duty of Muslims to wage holy war to get the territory back again. Previous negotiations with Hamas have been aimed at trying to procure a permanent ceasefire to get round this requirement to take back the land by force. This is a lot of what is making a general peace in the ME so difficult. The two state solution is something westerners favour because they think religion should take a back seat, but those on the ground in Israel both Jews and Palestinians think it unworkable.

No this is just an other translation, Hamas later also changed to wording slightly from jews to zionist, bus as seen on 7-10 the change was only in words. i have it from a article from one of the sons of the founders(of hamas) forgot his name, can look it up sometime. but the link you showed that says the same just with a lot of worlds.

One man's terrorist etc...

I'm sure there was a lot of controversy around Winnie Mandela in the 80s.
Yes, but there is so much to say about that it would be better suited in an new topic.

I'm happy for us to discuss definitions of terms so we're all singing from the same hymn sheet, as it were. @dutchguylivingintheuk how are you defining terrorism in a way that objectively and unquestionably includes Hamas but leaves the actions of the state of Israel as a matter of opinion?
Simple i go to wikipedia it says: ''Terrorism, in its broadest sense, is the use of intentional violence and fear to achieve political or ideological aims. The term is used in this regard primarily to refer to intentional violence during peacetime or in the context of war against non-combatants (mostly civilians and neutral military personnel).['' (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terrorism)
Hamas ideological gains killing as much jews/isreali's as possible seem to be working but that is of course not very hard. Whilst some of you seem to claim Isreal is targeting civilians deliberately i don't agree with that statement. Thus don't agree with calling them terrorist.(or the variants of it like terorrist state etc.
I gave the example before but why not repeat it right? Isreal has a system in place that will convict their police offercers/soldiers etc. alltough it's far from perfect it there, compared to Hamas that celebrates every attack on Isreal whether it was 7 October or the numberous much smaller incidents.
That for me makes a big difference Isreal attempts to create/restore the balance of justice, Hamas openly celebrates the death of someone from the wrong ethnicity. (in their eyes) You can fix an not optimally working justice system, you can't fix an system that doesn't recognize justice at all. Hence that's it why Hamas will always resort to terror and violence.

Last edited:

AndyRM

Elder Goth
No this is just an other translation, Hamas later also changed to wording slightly from jews to zionist, bus as seen on 7-10 the change was only in words. i have it from a article from one of the sons of the founders(of hamas) forgot his name, can look it up sometime. but the link you showed that says the same just with a lot of worlds.

Yes, but there is so much to say about that it would be better suited in an new topic.

Simple i go to wikipedia it says: ''Terrorism, in its broadest sense, is the use of intentional violence and fear to achieve political or ideological aims. The term is used in this regard primarily to refer to intentional violence during peacetime or in the context of war against non-combatants (mostly civilians and neutral military personnel).['' (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terrorism)
Hamas ideological gains killing as much jews/isreali's as possible seem to be working but that is of course not very hard. Whilst some of you seem to claim Isreal is targeting civilians deliberately i don't agree with that statement. Thus don't agree with calling them terrorist.(or the variants of it like terorrist state etc.
I gave the example before but why not repeat it right? Isreal has a system in place that will convict their police offercers/soldiers etc. alltough it's far from perfect it there, compared to Hamas that celebrates every attack on Isreal whether it was 7 October or the numberous much smaller incidents.
That for me makes a big difference Isreal attempts to create/restore the balance of justice, Hamas openly celebrates the death of someone from the wrong ethnicity. (in their eyes) You can fix an not optimally working justice system, you can't fix an system that doesn't recognize justice at all. Hence that's it why Hamas will always resort to terror and violence.

It's literally a translation of their charter from 1988. What more do you want? That's twice you've said something (the first was huge and undeniable fact of the US support provided Israel), and dismissed a response with roundabout nonsense.

You don't half talk pish.

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
Whilst some of you seem to claim Isreal is targeting civilians deliberately i don't agree with that statement.
Depriving everyone in Gaza of food, water, electricity and medicine isn’t targeting civilians? Really?

They've got them penned in behind a big wall with machine gun posts on it just as a matter of course. I don't think you even need to look at this particular phase of the conflict to come to the conclusion that Israel is targeting civilians.

glasgowcyclist

Über Member
They've got them penned in behind a big wall with machine gun posts on it just as a matter of course. I don't think you even need to look at this particular phase of the conflict to come to the conclusion that Israel is targeting civilians.

Yes. I’ve brought that up already (with my shooting fish in a barrel analogy) but I feel with Dutch that component parts of Israel’s terrorism campaign have to be highlighted individually.

Top Bottom