Leadership debate.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mudsticks

Squire
Sunak has now pledged to scrap VAT on energy bills if prices keep rising, in an attempt to keep up with Truss' tax giveaway bonanza.

They have over a month to go, and seem determined to get locked into an escalation war of who will give the most tax cuts and be the most horrible to refugees.

At this rate, by the end of the summer both will have policies to scrap all tax and to machine-gun refugees as they arrive on the south-coast beaches.

Their priorities does give an insight - if one was needed - into their views of the mindset of the average conservative party member.

Instead of scrapping VAT on fuel, why not put that money towards insulating poor quality housing and installing air source heat pumps (or whatever appropriate tech) so people don't have to spend so much money on heating in the first place...

Then people wouldn't have to choose between heating and eating..

winjim

Welcome yourself into the new modern crisis
Instead of scrapping VAT on fuel, why not put that money towards insulating poor quality housing and installing air source heat pumps (or whatever appropriate tech) so people don't have to spend so much money on heating in the first place...

I hope that's a rhetorical question because I could write paragraphs on why they haven't suggested that, only I don't really have the time.

D

Deleted member 49

Not that I don't agree but it's not going to cut it now.With the predicated increases well above what was first said people need more than promises.These predictions really are frightening.

View: https://twitter.com/OilSheppard/status/1552304860510539778?t=eEj_2fV9uhSpB4Gpo-kqUA&s=19

Meanwhile....it's good to know were all in it together and others are feeling the pinch ! Labour should be all over this...but nah it's more important to appeal to "floating Tories" apparently !
https://www.theguardian.com/busines..._medium&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1658989874

Poacher

Regular

Because that would mean accepting that Insulate Britain have a point, and that would send the Daily Mail and its readers into meltdown.

mudsticks

Squire
I hope that's a rhetorical question because I could write paragraphs on why they haven't suggested that, only I don't really have the time.

Of course
I totally understand the game plan.

Run the country and it's people into the ground til the majority have such low standards and expectations of 'governance' that they will accept just about any old tosh / emergency measures / degragation of public services and human rights .

Then asset strip the public commons via 'privatisation' to line their own pockets.

Whilst allowing climate change to go unchecked, because "Hey who cares we'll all be dead soon, so party on"

I don't have the time either, but if I don't rant here, then my poor innocent farm help will get the full blast..

So I'm marking it down as cheap therapy, and good HR policy, ok Jim ??👍🏼

Rusty Nails

Country Member

Because of the short-termism of British politics and the need to buy votes with money-in-your-pocket promises now rather than money saved in the future. Shored up by the short-termism and gullibility of much of the electorate.

Just about everybody in politics sees getting into/retaining power as their over-riding aim and let the party that gets into power in the distant future worry about the impact.

We have been shuffling the same chairs around the deck of the Titanic for years now, in the hope that that iceberg might not appear.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Who care's, Sue Me
Any party that comes into power only really plans for the next four years....its the way its always been in this country. Who's to day in 2024 if labour got in they wouldnt scrap parts of HS2 ( some may be happy with that) or they could put the NI rise back in place if Lizz Truss scraps it in the two years she's in power.....

I would like to see grants from local councils for solar power, better paybacks than 4p/kwh when you send solar back to the grid, grants for insulation, windows and doors, better transport links in rural towns and villages ( to stop the over reliance on ICE), better cycling infrastructure

theres much more i could list, but im busy writing a board paper on NPS

mudsticks

Squire
Because of the short-termism of British politics and the need to buy votes with money-in-your-pocket promises now rather than money saved in the future. Shored up by the short-termism and gullibility of much of the electorate.

Just about everybody in politics sees getting into/retaining power as their over-riding aim and let the party that gets into power in the distant future worry about the impact.

We have been shuffling the same chairs around the deck of the Titanic for years now, in the hope that that iceberg might not appear.

I know..

Anyone who has been paying even half an ounce of attention over the years knows that .

Trouble is those attention payers are pretty thin on the ground because .??

"Politics is boring".

And

"Oh look a distraction >>>>>>>"

stowie

only if it tops 3k though.....and he has opposed it in westminster

Yeah, he seemed very against it when it was a Labour idea...

If the predictions from consumer groups are correct, the cap will blitz through 3k later this year. There is talk of the cap going up again in Jan which could burst through the £4k mark. Frankly, 5% reduction isn't going to make a whole load of difference with increases of this magnitude.

D

Deleted member 49

Just about everybody in politics sees getting into/retaining power as their over-riding aim and let the party that gets into power in the distant future worry
Yet you seem to support Starmer for that very reason 🙄
Unless you know something I don't...like what he actually intends doing ?

D

Deleted member 49

Truss or Sunak what does it matter....do you think either will change anything.
Bit like asking would you prefer to get kicked or punched in the bollox !

mudsticks

Squire
Truss or Sunak what does it matter....do you think either will change anything.
Bit like asking would you prefer to get kicked or punched in the bollox !

My hope is for Truss, as she's less good at putting on the smarm, and sharp suit, than Sunak .

Less likely to get wavering vote at next GE.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.

Excellent suggestion... Do we actually have suitable technology, and, the skills to instal it, available, in enough volume to make a difference?

mudsticks

Squire
Excellent suggestion... Do we actually have suitable technology, and, the skills to instal it, available, in enough volume to make a difference?

Yes we do.

Britainland is stuffed full of very skilled technicians.

Plus lots more keen to be trained, right.?

The tech itself - good insulation and ashp (for example) are standard issue nowadays.

Of course materials costs have gone up on anything that needs to be imported, since brexit.

But the sheep in our fields are still turning grass into wool .

Plus ok there's a bit of a shortfall in tradespeople since brexit, but like I say the plucky Britishers are ready to learn and work 👍🏼

Top Bottom