Leadership debate.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Who care's, Sue Me
Excellent suggestion... Do we actually have suitable technology, and, the skills to instal it, available, in enough volume to make a difference?

no we dont....this is all new technology and a lot of training needs to take place, not in just the fitting of said technology, but also of the servicing side afterwards and also training of the public in how to use them, to get the best out of them.

we have fitted ground source heat pumps, air source heat pumps, solar, heated wall coverings and are trialling a few other things, currently none of them come close to Gas as a heating source........and the training to use them is very scarce.

its all good saying yes the plucky brits can do all this, but honestly, its not as easy as it looks and the cost is significant if you have to retrofit them to current properties.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
Yes we do.

Britainland is stuffed full of very skilled technicians.

Plus lots more keen to be trained, right.?

The tech itself - good insulation and ashp (for example) are standard issue nowadays.

Of course materials costs have gone up on anything that needs to be imported, since brexit.

But the sheep in our fields are still turning grass into wool .

Plus ok there's a bit of a shortfall in tradespeople since brexit, but like I say the plucky Britishers are ready to learn and work 👍🏼

Perhaps, availability of “skilled technicians” is different in the West Country.

Training technicians takes time, what happened in the interim, surely a co-ordinated plan to do both (reduce fuel costs and introduce new technology) is required.

Let us not conflate alternative heat sources and insulation. True, both are needed, but, various schemes, including grants, have been around for many years.

Apologies for suggesting that “co-ordinated plan” and “Government” might ever happen.

mudsticks

Squire
Perhaps, availability of “skilled technicians” is different in the West Country.

Training technicians takes time, what happened in the interim, surely a co-ordinated plan to do both (reduce fuel costs and introduce new technology) is required.

Let us not conflate alternative heat sources and insulation. True, both are needed, but, various schemes, including grants, have been around for many years.

Apologies for suggesting that “co-ordinated plan” and “Government” might ever happen.

I wasn't conflating insulation with alternative heat sources, in any way shape or form, or do you think I'm really that stupid??.

Let's hope that as someone about to build a house , that I do get up to speed on that one eh??

Yes grants have been around but they keep changing, and are not easy particularly for renting tenants to access.

When I was a renter we had to go through our landlady to access help with insulation costs.

Of course in the short term people need help with cost of energy, that goes without saying.

A windfall tax on energy comps who have just announced massive profits, would pay for that..

Of course all this action should have started decades ago, but as we know successive governments have failed on this, and kicked the can down the road .

In part because so many people, encouraged by the disinformation spread by vested interest have gone along with climate change denial. .

BoldonLad

I wasn't conflating insulation with alternative heat sources, in any way shape or form, or do you think I'm really that stupid??.

Let's hope that as someone about to build a house , that I do get up to speed on that one eh??

Yes grants have been around but they keep changing, and are not easy particularly for renting tenants to access.

When I was a renter we had to go through our landlady to access help with insulation costs.

Of course in the short term people need help with cost of energy, that goes without saying.

A windfall tax on energy comps who have just announced massive profits, would pay for that..

Of course all this action should have started decades ago, but as we know successive governments have failed on this, and kicked the can down the road .

In part because so many people, encouraged by the disinformation spread by vested interest have gone along with climate change denial. .

I am not a “denier”, I am on your side, on this subject if nothing else.

mudsticks

Squire
Where did I say you did?

It was you who mentioned denial of climate change, in your earlier reply.

I was simply making it clear that I broadly agreed with you on insulation and alternative energy sources.

Well that's not how it came across, you started by suggesting that I was conflating insulation with heat sources for a start, as if I might be a bit thick..

Then had to.point out you're not a denier, as if I said you were...

It's all a bit shades of 'i didn't vote for brexit, you know'..

Anyway, veg to.pack..

Back to the equally pointless leadership debate I guess... 🙄

BoldonLad

Well that's not how it came across, you started by suggesting that I was conflating insulation with heat sources for a start, as if I might be a bit thick..

Then had to.point out you're not a denier, as if I said you were...

It's all a bit shades of 'i didn't vote for brexit, you know'..

Anyway, veg to.pack..

Back to the equally pointless leadership debate I guess... 🙄

I said “let US not conflate…”, meaning, in my discussion with you, let us keep them seperate for the purpose of discussion, since, IMHO, the “challenges” differ. In the case of insulation, the technology is broadly known, it is lack of will (IMHO) which is the major problem. In the case of alternative energy sources, (again, IMHO) there is a shortage of expertise.

mudsticks

Squire
I said “let US not conflate…”, meaning, in my discussion with you, let us keep them seperate for the purpose of discussion, since, IMHO, the “challenges” differ. In the case of insulation, the technology is broadly known, it is lack of will (IMHO) which is the major problem. In the case of alternative energy sources, (again, IMHO) there is a shortage of expertise.

Yes I agree insulation is generally the easier win.
And a lack of will or joined up thinking that has really got in the way of consistent approach to doing it well, both in retrofitting, and in new builds.

Alternative heat sources are emerging tech, but availability generally accelerates with uptake whilst bringing down price.

But as with the f.i.t on solar, the gov keep chopping and changing on support, so people are understandably wary of investment.

I was being slightly ironic in my suggestion that we had ample tradespeople in this country to do the work.

For some reason, that no one can fathom, a lot of skilled workers seem to have left the country..

The hunt is on for the cause, I'm sure we'll find out soon..

Rusty Nails

Country Member
Yet you seem to support Starmer for that very reason 🙄
Unless you know something I don't...like what he actually intends doing ?

Change the record, it's cracked.

I have posted several times, but you seem incapable of understanding it or actually taking it in, I think Starmer is a huge disappointment as leader as he has shown no character and no policies, and he cannot get by on just being not Corbyn or not Boris. I am not against him because he is not far enough to the left, but because he is wooden and it is not clear where he actually stands on anything.

I initially thought he was a good choice for leader, but I admit that was wrong as it was just against the very low bar set by his predecessor, but please don't let that stop you trotting out the same line.

Top Bottom