Let’s talk about BBC

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

It would be funny if it wasn’t so vile and bigoted

multitool

Shaman
Deep sea diver, working class friends, and now rugby fan. As Shep said - fantacist.

Shep's borrowing my dictionary, but he'll let you borrow it at some point, just as soon as he's finished pondering a maxim that begins "With friends like you..."

Last edited:

fozy tornip

fozympotent
And to think that in the era of compulsory Church attendance none of this would've been possible.

Milzy

Facebook has got me triggered on this.
People on social media are saying Gary shouldn’t express free speech on Twitter while they express their own free speech on Facebook. The general public are so incredibly dumbed down.

• Sad
Reactions: C R
D

Deleted member 49

Evens that Sharp will be gone by the end of the day ?

multitool

Shaman
Evens that Sharp will be gone by the end of the day ?

You can be sure that Sunak and Sharp have been on the phone because Sharp is a government appointee, and can only be removed by the government. It's an interesting game being played, because Sunak is trying to present the debacle as an issue for the BBC to resolve, and nothing to do with him.

It all depends on whether the shît starts to stick to the Tories, and my guess is it will because it hasn't gone unnoticed that the people at the top of the BBC are Tories themselves, Tory donors, appointed by Tories, and embroiled in Tory financial sleaze.

This one isn't going to go away because football is intrinsic to British culture.

C R

Über Member
You can be sure that Sunak and Sharp have been on the phone because Sharp is a government appointee, and can only be removed by the government. It's an interesting game being played, because Sunak is trying to present the debacle as an issue for the BBC to resolve, and nothing to do with him.

It all depends on whether the shît starts to stick to the Tories, and my guess is it will because it hasn't gone unnoticed that the people at the top of the BBC are Tories themselves, Tory donors, appointed by Tories, and embroiled in Tory financial sleaze.

This one isn't going to go away because football is intrinsic to British culture.

I admire your optimism.

BoldonLad

Old man on a bike. Not a member of a clique.
You are conflating two different things.
Are you suggesting that people who do like football are the only people who care about free speech?
It is possible to hold two different ideas.

I get your point that on the surface it's great that there is less football coverage if you don't like football, but the reason for that is not great at all. It's a bit like saying the Nazi's were great at maintaining law and order.

I did say I agreed with Gary way back at post #135 https://ncap.cyclechat.net/threads/let’s-talk-about-bbc.164/post-54794

No. )
) to the two bolded lines
Yes )

Last edited:

multitool

Shaman
The problem for Sunak is that his culture war attack dogs have already entered the fray early on, so to external observers it looks like the government is exerting pressure on the BBC to punish presenters who criticise the government.

When you couple this with Tory entryism into top tier of BBC management it looks very,very bad

Top Bottom