Liz Truss - the first 100 days....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stowie

Oh and another thing.....

They do actually think they are visionaries.

They are rehashing Thatcherite policies from the the 80's. Think about it. They are saying that the policies that will work in the 2020's are the same as those from the 80's. That is like Thatcher deciding in the 80's that what was really needed was the economic policies employed in the late 40's. Or Blair deciding he needed to get back to the 50's economic model.

Even worse, they aren't even promoting these policies. They go balls-out on the Laffer curve, low tax bollox, but appear to completely forget that a fundamental part of Thatcher's philosophy was the opening of markets to allow competition and a route for expansion for sucesful companies. Which was why she was all-in with the single European market concept.

In conclusion, Truss and her idiot band of backers think that the solution is to take bits of an economic philosophy from over 40 years ago, rehash the bits they like whilst ignoring the bits they don't, ignore economists that point out it is a shoot idea, and then think the reason their stupid ideas fail is not because they are stupid, but because they haven't been allowed to do them enough.

stowie

No one needs this level of pedantry, sure, but that tardigrade is playing that instrument in the manner of a cello. Moreover he (or she, does it matter in tardigrade circles, Aurora?) is bowing the strings beneath the bridge. That simply won't work.

I would go further. The issues around that image are not limited to the method of playing but to basic physics.

The fundamental frequency of a string (fn) = n/2 sqrt (F/LM)

Where L is the length of the string, M=mass and F= force or tension on the string. I haven't done the maths, but the shortness and low mass of the string would surely render audible sound all but impossible?

multitool

Shaman
It's anthropomorphic bullsh1t to pretend that tardigrade cello technique has to align with ours.

icowden

Legendary Member
Those concerts taught me three things. It is very difficult to play a guitar loudly, a trumpet quietly or a violin at all.
The Trumpet is very character building for a shy child. One of my favourite memories is playing trumpet in the school orchestra in secondary school. Someone I didn't like in the Violin section called out "Sir! Cowden played a wrong note". My response - "At least you can *hear* when I play a wrong note". Cue some embarrassment for the Violinist in question and some laughter from the rest of the Orchestra.

One of those rare times I managed a zinger.

The definition of stress is playing a piece of classical music when there is only one note scored for the trumpet - on the third beat of bar 137 out of 240.

Ian H

Guru
Interestingly, the noise emitted by him playing on the string wrapping is almost exactly the same noise as emitted by small children playing the violin at primary school concerts.

Those concerts taught me three things. It is very difficult to play a guitar loudly, a trumpet quietly or a violin at all.
I had violin lessons as a child. It was dispiriting.

Top Bottom